Author Topic: [Deleted]  (Read 9804 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Top 5 biggest mistakes of Nintendo....
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2005, 04:20:44 pm »
The old-school thing about it was that each character has specific abilities that only they can use.  Garnet has her summons, Steiner had his sword techs, Vivi had black magic, Zidane could swipe anything and everything from anyone and everyone, etc.  In VII and VIII, almost any character can use almost any ability; the only real variation from that was Quistis' enemy skill system in VIII.  The limit breaks and attack power were really the only things that distinguished the characters from one another in battle, but VII made up for this with the sheer amount of stuff you could do with Materia; it was seriously fucking ridiculous.  Not only that, the character stats made certain Materia more effective on one character than another.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2005, 04:45:53 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
The old-school thing about it was that each character has specific abilities that only they can use.  Garnet has her summons, Steiner had his sword techs, Vivi had black magic, Zidane could swipe anything and everything from anyone and everyone, etc.  In VII and VIII, almost any character can use almost any ability; the only real variation from that was Quistis' enemy skill system in VIII.  The limit breaks and attack power were really the only things that distinguished the characters from one another in battle, but VII made up for this with the sheer amount of stuff you could do with Materia; it was seriously fucking ridiculous.  Not only that, the character stats made certain Materia more effective on one character than another.

Yeah, back in the old ones, characters actually had a unique purpose to your party.  In the new ones, you get so much customization that combat uniquiness is down the drain.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2005, 05:50:24 pm »
Quote from: Lordchander
Either that or the controls are difficult. Ive heard a mission in GTA San Andreas (PC) is impossible with one person playing because of the controls.

They have PC controllers that are the exact same as any of the best controllers (PLAYSTATION!!!) out there...I could understand someone not being able to do GTA stuff on XBOX though...that controll system/controller itself sucked big time.

About other stuffs...

FFIX shined because, unlike what we got w/VIII and VII, we DID get something that had become 'oldschool'...a very large (good) amount of character development!!! The only minor exception could be given to Zidane, who doesn't get as much attention as the other characters until near-end game...

Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
Garland (name of King in ff1 I believe)

Nope, more important than a king...he was 'a' boss...

Quote from: Sentenal
Yeah, back in the old ones, characters actually had a unique purpose to your party. In the new ones, you get so much customization that combat uniquiness is down the drain.

Sometimes in the FF series, and mind you I only mean sometimes, full customization can be a good thing. I point to Tactics...and, really, Tactics alone...

Materia=lame n00b Espers

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2005, 06:18:56 pm »
FFVII had good character development..

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2005, 06:36:31 pm »
That's a good point about the character development in FF9.  It seems like in FF8, the only character development was "Where did you come from?  That's nice, join the party" and that was it.  Oh, and then there was a part of dialogue that took maybe 4 hours to get through after a boss.  I think it was near the end of the second disc, and they were all standing on a basketball court and they just ALL hapenned to be part of some orphanage.  Bull.  Anyway, seven was a little better, but not much.  Same thing, except maybe one small quest somewhere in the game that expanded a little bit.  (Cloud would be an exception).

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2005, 10:10:55 am »
>_>; Kuja>Sephiroth
Zidane>Cloud, etc. Pwnt

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2005, 10:46:45 am »
AuraTwilight, it's a whole heck of a lot easier to make that case against Clod w/any other character from FFIX...Zidane was way too Captain America meets Locke for my tastes...

"Let's do it because it's the right thing to do!"

Bleh...Quina was ([at least] two times) a better character...

Also, I wouldn't say FFVII had good character development...>_>

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005, 04:11:07 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
>_>; Kuja>Sephiroth
Zidane>Cloud, etc. Pwnt

Dude, Kuja honestly looks like a girl.  Sephiroth has long hair, but he's one cut motherfucker.  Kuja, on the other hand, has ACTUAL BREASTS.

Zidane was more entertaining than engaging.  Most of the time, his character would fit perfectly on a prime time sitcom.  Cloud, on the other hand, wouldn't.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005, 06:14:55 pm »
No no no, Kuja didn't have breast...  You must have been imagining things.  Although he was more of a Kefka type villian.

I enjoyed both games, but I wouldn't say Zidane was a better character than Cloud...

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005, 08:11:28 pm »
I swear to God, Kuja's gazongas were bigger than Garnet's.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005, 09:06:21 pm »
I think Kuja was just confused about his gender and/or sexuality.  Purple thong?  ummm....

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2005, 11:57:00 pm »
Garland was the first boss in FF1, and he plays some role later on...

I feel like Sephiroth's effect was lost in the whole RPG thing.. You can't really be THAT awesomely scarey in a turn-based game. Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts, however, was insanely awesome and actually insanely difficult, as compared to FFVII's Sephiroth, where the only challenge for me was using a Megalixir halfway through the battle

I don't know if I mentioned this here or not, but after playing FFIX I was just horribly disappointed when I replayed the beginnings of FFVII and FFVIII; Cloud's and Squall's "I don't care" attitude was just so different than Zidane's

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2005, 07:25:42 am »
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
Garland was the first boss in FF1, and he plays some role later on...

If u count the the extra dungeon in the GBA version he was there at the end of it i think.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2005, 11:08:57 am »
Garland was the final boss of the original game too. >_>

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005, 02:45:25 pm »
I thought Chaos was.