Author Topic: [Deleted]  (Read 9717 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Top 5 biggest mistakes of Nintendo....
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 02:27:04 pm »
Halo was awesome, V_T, get off crack :)

And shouldn't:  "-Memory Card is useful for when playing at friends houses etc. and u dont want to bring ur PS2" be a pro, not a con?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 03:15:04 pm »
XBOX is not doing well in Japan at all. The main reason is because of XBOX live, no one in Japan is insterested in it yet anfd that is one of the few advantages the XBOX has over its competitors.

GTA series is on XBOX too...

I agree with V_T, Halo is generously overrated.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 05:48:37 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Quote from: Hadriel
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Quote from: Hadriel
You've never played Eternal Darkness, have you?  No one who has would be able to make that statement with a straight face.  ED is hands-down the best survival horror game ever made.  Period.  Full stop.

No I haven't but have you played Resident Evil 4? That game has completely changed the genre, groundbreaking in every aspect of gaming.

I did play RE4.  It wasn't anything special.

In the US, the PS2 has a dominant percentage of the sales; Xbox and GC are usually about on equal levels.  In Japan Nintendo destroys everything else.  No idea what it's like in Europe.

I was under the impression that Sony dominated the console market in Japan.

What exactly was your qulams with the game?

Like I said, RE4 was the same thing over and over again.

I'm unsure how well Sony does in Japan, but it's a safe bet that Nintendo does a great deal better over there than over here.  Sony is based in Japan, but they're rehash-mongers, and Japanese culture doesn't generally take kindly to that mentality.  Well, except in hentai, but let's not go there.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2005, 05:55:02 pm »
RE4 is the same thing over and over agian...?  Are you sure you played it?

The control scheme, the camera behind the back, the enemies, etc etc make this game much different (and better) than every other survival horror game I've ever played.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2005, 05:56:25 pm »
Microsoft just announced the prices for their console.  It's interesting, and I'll explain why.

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Now, no one in their right mind is going to buy the Core Package.  It's absolutely retarted.  You get absolute crap, and on top of that, it "forces" you to buy a memory card, since you're not getting a hard drive to save your stuff.  But, for an extra $100, you get an actual system.

Now, in my mind, this is a rip-off.  Not that fact that's its $400, but the fact that they're giving a cheaper one for $300.  Because now they're going to advertise it for $300, scamming a bunch of people into it, and then forcing them to either spend an extra $100 once they find out they get nothing, or get a system taht essentially does nothing for them.  Wise from a business perspective, but one that pisses me off, for sure.

Oh, and on top of that, Nintendo delayed Zelda till April 2006 at the EARLIEST.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 09:14:08 pm »
Halo is not awesome enough to justify buying an XBOX, Sentenal...I'd rather play UT myself...

Oh, and SilentMartyr, I think he was just saying that GTA's true home is on the PS2...I think this is because it isn't as good on XBOX...Again, I blame the controller...GTA doesn't work right on XBOX...Why is it that Sony's the only one w/more than one trigger button? Are the other companies mad or something?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 09:16:18 pm »
Did I say it was enough?  I only ment that Halo is a great game, sequel included.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2005, 09:30:10 pm »
I didn't mean to imply that you did, I was just making a counterpoint to Halo's aleged awesomeness...

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 09:40:28 pm »
Few games are worth $200 total to play.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 12:50:45 am »
I think the ratio for Chrono dislikers (uh...) is far lower than that for Halo...And again, no one here has really said that Halo sux0rs or w/e...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 03:16:30 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
RE4 is the same thing over and over agian...?  Are you sure you played it?

The control scheme, the camera behind the back, the enemies, etc etc make this game much different (and better) than every other survival horror game I've ever played.

If I hadn't played it, would I be saying I played it?  If I hadn't played it, would I be proclaiming that it's Eternal Darkness' bitch?  I know some people would, but would I do that?  I have a reputation for saying what I mean, meaning what I say, and having reasoning that's very difficult to punch holes in.  I'd like to keep that around.

Actually, all those things you named make it the same as every other survival horror game and its grandma.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 12:17:55 pm »
I think the general consensus on RE4 is this:  Anyone who hated the series before has hard time believing that the series is so revamped and that much better.  About 50% of those people think it is that much better, and the other half still hate it.

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 biggest mistakes of Nintendo....
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 01:30:07 pm »
My opinions on what you wrote:
#5: Staying Young: I think this has hurt them.  I don't think it would have had the impact it did alone, but I do think it hurt them.  Even if there ARE a myriad of "older" games as mentioned in this thread, their marketing in general has NOT reflected that IMO.  Their advertisements seem to still reflect the "younger" focus.  Really the generational problem where those 40-50+ "in general" consider video games "for kids", and thus I think that attitude is more prevalent than it should be.  This may also be a partial reflection on the almost-gertitocracy that Japan is.  There may be many young minds there, but they aren't the ones making the decisions, and neither do they have profound influence.  "Old perceptions" still rule, and IMO that is the biggest problem at Nintendo currently.

#4: Ow...Red headache in 3D: I think this was a mistake, but doesn't belong in the top 5.  Why?  Because after less than a year, nobody had even HEARD of Virtual Boy.  Really.  Nobody cared later.  It really had a "zero" effect, as nintendo stayed on top in the "portable" market, and it wasn't meant as a replacement for a normal TV system.  So while it was a massive screw-up, I don't think it affected them negatively in the market as a whole.  There's other decisions (like your #5, and others not metioned) that I'd put higher than this, just because the effect was so small IMO.

#3: Mario and his hose...: I don't think this affected the company as a whole very much.  Sure it was no Super Mario 64 in innovativeness, and IMO was less fun (more annoyances rather than challenges to me), but it was just an OK game, rather than revolutionary.  Again, not as big a deal.  I think the bigger thing that hurt the GC is that this game was NOT a release game.  For virtaully every console (or perhaps 100% excluding VB), a Mario game was ALWAYS a release title.  This was the bigger mistake, rather than the game itself.

#2: 2 Years after PS2: As others have said, it was less, and while I'm more in the camp of "it had a bigger effect", again, it wasn't business-shattering IMO, just from the XBOX perspective.  It certainly didn't help though.

#1: Next time someone tells you CD's are the future, tell them to shut up (No CDs for N64): No shit.  I think this was listed either in the top 3, or #1 in multiple "worst decisions in videogame history".  If people look back at SNES, one of the main reasons Nintendo had dominance was its WIDE array of 3rd-party developers.  Discarding CDs threw away Squaresoft (big mistake), but it also made an artificial "limitation" on devleopers, so that they remained "wary" of doing anything with Nintendo.  The loss of developers caused by this decision was the mistake, more than the media type itself.  Then they compounded the error in GameCube by not using DVDs.  Their fear of piracy outweighed business sense (again) by again LIMITING what developers could do (GC discs are MUCH smaller).  But snubbing Sony and not using CDs is EASILY the biggest mistake Nintendo ever made.

Now having said that, what would the video game landscape be like if Nintendo had NOT snubbed Sony, and either HAD come out with a CD-expansion for SNES (and N64 having CDs), or simply competed with Sony with BOTH having CDs?  Would the rest of the mistakes put them down, or would Nintendo have stayed high?

I wonder...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 10:37:42 pm »
I also think that if SONY had not gone out and created their own console, that each systems lifespan would be much longer.  I'd say at least 50% longer.  So really from the current lifespan of about 4-5 years to maybe 7-8 years.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2005, 11:11:05 pm »
Hadriel, I'm just going to say "Your on crack", and leave it at that :)

And I'm not sure if thats true joseph.  Whose to say Nintendo wouldn't have gotten the same following with its Nintendo-Sony console?