Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484347 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5460 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:46 am »
He should be okay, the vets gave me meds for him. I'm out 260 bucks with a "maybe" though.

At least he's not dying. I was really more frustrated with the fact that I have ZERO ability to help him except driving him there and saying "blood poop wat do?" than with the receptionist. She ended up being nicer, after I found out she had to watch multiple euthanizations today.

Which got me wondering, wouldn't it be something if businesses (like vets, for a related example) had to print statistics on their location? Number of deaths compared to number of successful procedures per day, number of lawsuits lost and won, etc.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5461 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:22 am »
I'm glad there's nothing too serious, Bekkler. Here's sincerely hoping your dog leaps boundaries once more, kicking all the toxins outta its body.

Which got me wondering, wouldn't it be something if businesses (like vets, for a related example) had to print statistics on their location? Number of deaths compared to number of successful procedures per day, number of lawsuits lost and won, etc.

LOL most hospitals grow colder and get nerves of steal after watching oh-so-goddamned-many deaths, injuries and worst case scenarios, so basically "it isn't anything new" to them. Nevertheless, I respect the docs who still care about their patient and get them better ASAP, but you'd be surprised how many of em just don't give a f**k.

Here's a case: About three years ago I was suffering from Anaemia, and a doc misdiagnosed me with Jaundice. Why? Because she was friggin lazy! She gave me wrong medications which made matters worse for me. =_=
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:21:53 am by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:17 am »
Glad to hear your pet is on the mend, Bekkler. Unfortunately emergency vets are a dubious sort. If you aren't satisfied with that one, you might want to make friends with a good vet and get them to recommend a good e-vet. Unfortunately I had a run in with such a place a few months ago and my little guy didn't make it. If we had done research ahead of time, things might have done better (or the same with higher medical bills). Anywho, point being, sort of like how you might know which hospital to go to when you have an emergency (assuming your area has more than one), knowing which evet to go to can be a life saver.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5463 on: January 14, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »
 :picardno

Corruption in India is really mainstream. Neither can you argue with a cop nor is there any chance of them doing anything right. Calling a parking a "drive way" and refusing to get us a license on false grounds with a hope of earning some under-table bribe? Not just that; even college seminars HELD BY THE FRIGGIN PRESIDENT HIMSELF is nothing more than some money-making scheme. The most ridiculous attempt out of several: actually charging students after "asking" them to vote on a decision in a topic? Give me a break! No wonder people don't wanna be involved in politics, goddammit!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: January 14, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »
Whoa, a fee for voting? That ain't right. Is that a university thing or a government thing where you're at Tushantin?

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »
Personally, I hold a strong abhorrence to Mary Sues. Probably the worst instances are when fangirls have self-inserts that make everyone even more out of character than the fic would have on its own; very RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE inducing.

Also, note how there's just about twice as many posts in the 'angry' thread than the 'love' thread. Seems to say a lot about the forum, methinks.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:27 pm »
Manly Man, I'm curious if there's a specific fanfic or set of fanfics that triggered your RAAAAAAAAGE; feel free to tell me over PM if it's a Chrono fanfic. I've grown really interested in the "Mary Sue", or rather how to effectively avoid such a character, since it's been discussed so much here lately. I'm a learn by example kinda guy.

I'd like to think that the Springtime of Youth threads contain a lot of what we'd otherwise put in the love thread, but it's also true there's been much for everyone to be frustrated about! *Sigh*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:05:41 pm by FaustWolf »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: January 15, 2011, 04:08:45 am »
Also, note how there's just about twice as many posts in the 'angry' thread than the 'love' thread. Seems to say a lot about the forum, methinks.

I think that says more about people in general than about this forum in particular.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:02 am »

This is the frustration thread. The hate thread is further down the page and has half the posts of the love thread.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5469 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
@FaustWolf: Both. The seminar was held by the President and had taken place in a university where my friend studied in.  :? The ministers encouraged voting by SMS, saying they'd "greatly appreciate the (crap what's the word for "help out"?)" just to "understand the public mind and doing things in their interest" since ours is a Democratic nation after all. Turns out we had to PAY them for each vote (and you find that out after you've voted). The seminar was supposed to have been an intellectual one though, about how expenses are rising, industries branching out to other cities, rising intellectual youths in science and politics, economic powers, National Morality, etc. But what do we learn? "How Gandhi's teachings changed our lives". No offense to Great Spirit (Mahatma) Gandhi, but none of these guys who bragged about their "Gandhi-giri" actually applied the same moral sense and actions in their own personal or professional lives.

I sometimes doubt that the nation would improve even if someone like Obama became President/Prime Minister here.

@Manly Man: I got three things for ya, Mista Musculah!  :lol: 1) Either good things happen so often that people don't find it surprising to post about it, or 2) Real life's just boring for some people, or even 3) Nobody wants to share their "secret" awesome lives with the internet (it's most of the time about their mates). Come on, who'd keep posting about each time boning someone (except the Facebook Abusers who'd post about anything useless)?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: January 15, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »
You make it sound like "boning someone" is the only awesome thing out there.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: January 16, 2011, 03:22:11 am »
@Manly Man: I got three things for ya, Mista Musculah!  :lol: 1) Either good things happen so often that people don't find it surprising to post about it, or 2) Real life's just boring for some people, or even 3) Nobody wants to share their "secret" awesome lives with the internet (it's most of the time about their mates). Come on, who'd keep posting about each time boning someone (except the Facebook Abusers who'd post about anything useless)?

Why, thank you for the compliment.

I kinda wish it was what's behind door number one, but my personal experience make me lean towards the second one. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether I'm just annoyed with something, or outright hate them. I think it's more that I hate the Mary-Sues themselves, but just how frequently I come across them irritates me to the point that I want to bash my head into a wall. Also...

...define boning.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: January 16, 2011, 08:03:52 am »
Personally, I hold a strong abhorrence to Mary Sues. Probably the worst instances are when fangirls have self-inserts that make everyone even more out of character than the fic would have on its own; very RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE inducing.

I'm currently talking with one of my friends over IM and giving her two Mary Sue litmus tests.  She's an aspiring author and her character outlines just painfully reek of Sue-ness, so I hope this will be a wake-up call.

One of her characters is named Wynter Lilly, and another one is some half werewolf / half vampire hybrid who had a supar traumatic past omg that has to bridge the gap between the two species (races? species?) and she's the ONLY one who can do it and the ONLY half werewolf and half vampre EVAR.  Ugh.  Kill them with fire.  -______-
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:05:55 am by Sajainta »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »
One of her characters is named Wynter Lilly, and another one is some half werewolf / half vampire hybrid who had a supar traumatic past omg that has to bridge the gap between the two species (races? species?) and she's the ONLY one who can do it and the ONLY half werewolf and half vampre EVAR.  Ugh.  Kill them with fire.  -______-

I totally agree with you. I am a little bit guilty of the Sue-ish name thing, though. In a Teen Titans fanfic I'm writing, I have a character called Moonshadow. She is a Tamaranean though, and I was mostly just trying to fit something to the naming template of the race, which seems to be either noun+noun, or adjective+noun. I've got no idea of their language's vocabulary or grammar, so I've just called her that rather than gone through the trouble of trying to find out exactly what her alien name would be. I dunno if they even have a Tamaranean dictionary out there, like how they do with Klingon or other languages like that.

I have at least made an attempt to keep her away from that sort of behavior, but I think I'm drawing closer and closer as I go, and it's starting to make me not want to bother with it anymore, since hypocrisy also ticks me off, especially if I end up doing it myself, because then I just look plain stupid. Le sigh...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:22:22 pm by Manly Man »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5474 on: January 16, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »
You make it sound like "boning someone" is the only awesome thing out there.
xD Well not necessarily, but get my point. Awesome things are often enjoyed with close people, like friends or family, and as social folks we tend to keep what's in the family indoors, keeping privacy and respecting the, well, respect.

BTW folkss, Mary Sue concepts aren't that bad, so long as you know how to use em. Think of em as a plot device, and you're in business! :D I admit, I'm using a couple of em and they've turned out to be pretty neat!