Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484342 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6465 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:04 pm »
ZeaLitY, thanks for sizing up the problem immensely well (IMO anyway). So many of us are just hitting this...brick wall in our ambitions, and we'll no doubt have to figure out our own ways of tackling it. In the end, I'm begrudgingly accepting the current situation as an opportunity for growth, but I know in the back of my mind it's all less optimal than I hoped for going in. I'm just glad there's a community where I can see so many talented people who are having similar experiences, because I'd have gone nuts by now if I thought it was happening to just me.

What the hell, we've got relative youth on our side still. There's some time to build this empire yet!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:51:56 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6466 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/n52ie/so_i_got_kicked_out_of_gamestop_yesterday/c36apn7

Behold the ethical frailty of this person, and several others in that submission. Apparently, if you get a paycheck for something, it's completely legit and all ethical responsibilities cease.

Fuck salespeople, fuck advertisers, and fuck anyone who willingly takes more value in an transaction than they deserve. Fuck them right into the gutter. And fuck people too fucking ignorant or weak-willed to have a little ethical responsibility in this world, especially if they turn around and complain about it. Assholes like you make the world worse.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6467 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »
I remember having to push the "blue light" or whatever card when working at K-Mart. I mean, I was working in utilities so I never had to do it, but I thought it was pretty dumb anyways, especially since you could be penalized if you didn't get enough signed up(regardless if you pushed it on every customer or not). But at least that was free.

Still, I wouldn't have any sympathy for anyone who started cursing me and telling me I should be ashamed for doing something like that. Like the OP said, he wasn't wrong, just an asshole.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6468 on: December 09, 2011, 01:12:40 am »
I second ToD on this. As much as I share the same sentiments as Z here, the guy at Reddit had an incredibly weird approach to dealing with this. Informing the lady of the wonders of Googling and saving her $30 was a nice thing to do; telling someone they were full of shit is not.

Which reminds me that most of corporate sectors in developed nations (and higher sectors in developing nations) actually have a capitalist-predatory tendency when it comes to pushing sales towards consumers (one example among several: manipulating people's perception and judgement regarding wants and needs) rather than their mythical "demand and supply" approach, and it all comes down to actually surviving in business fields via any means necessary. It's like inciting your prey to eat the delicious apple from the forbidden tree, just so you can reap all the rewards. So yeah, fuck consumerism.

Anywhos, I won't say more than this. Carry on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:14:16 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: December 09, 2011, 05:29:33 am »
The United States has a strong anti-intellectual culture, stemming from some of the most barbaric elements of the religious radicals who founded the country. While the U.S. is also home to the world’s best traditions of intellectual curiosity—in a testament to its size, diversity, and civil liberties—vast swaths of the country are cultural dead ends whose people fear and despise knowledge.

Less often discussed is the menace of pseudo-intellectualism. I have observed over the years that most people who are not anti-intellectuals are pseudo-intellectuals. They value knowledge, and, more accurately, they value being called smart. Against the anti-intellectuals, pseudo-intellectuals often join us as allies. Indeed, it can be difficult to pick apart intellectuals from pseudo-intellectuals if you aren’t sensitive to the importance of the distinction. Yet it is a most important distinction. Pseudo-intellectuals do not abide by the fruits of the scientific method, and they do not adhere to the demands of logical argument. They often claim to do both, and may even believe their own claims, but their actions belie those words.

The direst consequence of pseudo-intellectualism is not that it further obscures science and logic from society. It is that, the human condition being what it is, and modern life being what it is, a person deprived of science and logic yet persuaded of the value of knowledge will often be compelled to construct a worldview that asserts humanity is weak.

I have watched people go to such lengths to assert what is essentially a misanthropic position, that our lives are defined by what humans cannot know and should not do. These pseudo-intellectuals draw exquisitely and erroneously upon the insights and innovations of the great minds of history—and the not-so-great-but-merely-popular minds—to explain and justify an attitude that is, at its heart, completely self-defeating.

The uncertainty principle, the recursively enumerable language, the incompleteness theorem...pseudo-intellectuals take these concepts and from them generalize that humanity’s attainable knowledge is so puny compared to its unattainable knowledge that the value of the human prerogative is fundamentally diminished. In other words, “We’re not as powerful as we think, we don’t really know what we’re doing, and so we shouldn’t meddle with the world as though we were gods.”

It’s a fundamentally anti-humanistic message. It denies our heritage of learning. It rejects our capacity for judgment. It defies the will. It ridiculously implies that we would be better off if we constrained our ambitions and disavowed our march of progress. It proclaims that ignorance knows best, that we should be a quiet and docile species. Ultimately, it sinks into the same faith-based thinking and disrespect toward knowledge that anti-intellectuals hold, the only difference being that anti-intellectuals take pride in their ignorance while pseudo-intellectuals, if they can be said to take pride in anything, take pride in the mediocrity that ignorance bequeaths unto us.

It does so because the pseudo-intellectual, when confronted with the vast adversities of the world, surrenders to their feelings of powerlessness and dissatisfaction...and submits as a human being.

That’s direst consequence. The second-direst consequence is that I never hear the end of this endless stream of mooks who try to elevate themselves by invoking names like Heisenberg, Chomsky, Gödel...and Aristotle, Jesus, Einstein, Gandhi, Aquinas, Mozart, Caesar...and on, and on, and on...all for the futile sake of proving their absurd claim that humanity is little more than a waste. They could as well invoke the discoveries of the Time Cube guy and, but for the lack of popular obedience to the authority in question, their act would be the same.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6470 on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:42 am »
 :picardno

Sometimes I feel incredibly fortunate to have very understanding parents. Sometimes I woe for those who are guided by ignorant and incompetent folks who end up destroying their own childrens' lives.

I could elaborate on what I mean, but I don't intend to disclose someone publicly. The summary is that some parents and teachers don't really get the idea of allowing children to nurture their curiosity. In this case, a friend of mine was forbidden to continue her artistic pursuits because it may affect her grades. Now that she actually raised her grades, she's been called "narrow minded" and "incompetent to judge her future well". What is with these mooks? Why do they think that art of any form is a tasteless hindrance of any kind? On top of that, the poor girl's passion has been crushed worse than a cockroach under foot. I simply cannot describe how it feels...

I'd scream and proclaim to the whole world to hear that art is anything but a hindrance. Art is a rare gift blessed upon centain individuals. It is a curiosity that seeks grace. It bolsters intellect. It is a passion that seeks meaning. It is a vision that shows you a clearer picture that most people lack. To grant a child the powers of art is the greatest gift. Take that fire away from them, crush their soul, and you curse them into absurdity.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Pablo Picasso

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"There may be a great fire in our hearts, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Don't limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time." -- Rabindranath Tagore

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him." -- Pablo Picasso

The second-direst consequence is that I never hear the end of this endless stream of mooks who try to elevate themselves by invoking names like Heisenberg, Chomsky, Gödel...and Aristotle, Jesus, Einstein, Gandhi, Aquinas, Mozart, Caesar...and on, and on, and on...all for the futile sake of proving their absurd claim that humanity is little more than a waste.
It is a little more than a waste. And yes, fuck you. I just pissed on your statement with this post.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:06:28 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: December 10, 2011, 07:02:15 am »
It is a little more than a waste.

I'll certainly agree with you that plenty of individual lives end up going to waste. But the waste of individual lives is all the more galling precisely because humanity on the whole is not without value, and indeed is brimming with the potential for greatness. You're not disagreeing with me. You're affirming my point.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6472 on: December 10, 2011, 07:11:41 am »
Problem is, you didn't even get my point.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:53 am »
If I should entertain the thought of what you intended to say, I understand you well enough. But what you intended to say is not what you said.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:19 am »
Moving on to more cosmic matters, there was a rare lunar eclipse just now that featured the sun and moon visible in the sky at the same time. I presently live in a drought-stricken desert, so I was in an excellent position to watch the spectacle.

I didn't get to, though, because this morning it is overcast.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6475 on: December 10, 2011, 12:02:08 pm »
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

Well of course it was silenced for Van Gogh, he chopped his bloody ear off!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: December 10, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
Almost all of the snow has melted.  -__-  It seems it's snowing everywhere but the Midwest.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6477 on: December 10, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
Fuck skinny jeans. They just look fucking stupid on people. "Hey, look, I have tiny chicken legs!!"

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: December 10, 2011, 08:54:27 pm »
I try not to be too outward about judging people's fashions, because it's only slightly less unproductive than judging people's tastes in music, but my personal aesthetic strongly agrees with you. Skinny jeans don't look good at all, to me. They're very popular among the male hipsters on Capitol Hill in Seattle, so I get to see them far more often than I'd like--except that I am out of Seattle for the time being; perhaps when I return they'll be out of vogue again.

At least they're not insulting, like low-rise jeans for females, which seem designed intentionally to make people look disproportioned and inadequate.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6479 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:21 am »
Hah, my bro loves skinny jeans! Then again, he's quite particular about fashion and makes damn sure he looks his best. I, on the other hand, would prefer a balance between fashion and flexibility.

Yes, I prefer sports shoes to formals. Problemo, fashion geeks?