Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484353 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2385 on: March 18, 2009, 04:22:37 am »
True, but it's just so difficult. My mom, my sister, and I just cleaned up a large portion of little room, which at one point was my brother's room. It was a sty. We even found an old container of OJ, with... rotting OJ in it... meanwhile my sister just blows everything out of proportion. Earlier she was upset that my brother called little room, which she had recently inhabited, a sty and she perceived it as calling her a pig and it was all her fault.

I know I'm not a gem either (memory issues, homework issues, the littlest things will make me start screaming...) and I do have a tendency to add more drama into a situation than I should (people wonder why I aspire to be a theater teacher), but a lot of that isn't just me. I'd say... 80% is not me. 25% for sis, 25% for bro, 25% for mom, and about... 5% is everything else. Typing things out here makes me less likely to let it blow up in real life, where fists can fly and ruin any chance I have of getting the stuff I really do want. Like a new monitor.

Which leads me to my current frustration:

THIS MONITOR.

Everything is too dark. I'm looking at the Hitake guy we have next to the Additional Options button, and I can't really make our the details. The silver on the site looks like a dark gray. The brightness is at the max. We're thinking it's that this thing is OLD.

By all means, complain here. That's certainly a lot healthier than just getting worked up over things. I'm just giving suggestions to help ease the source of that frustration.

Also, try adjusting the gamma on your monitor. Try a more linear gamma (i.e. 1.8 versus the normal 2.2), and that might help brighten things up, letting you push a little more life out it.

I guess, to adjust your gamma you might give the program mentioned here a try:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#QuickGamma

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2386 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:30 am »
Big frustration; someone is smoking something around here. I don't know what, but it smells REALLY bad, and it's just wafting through the whole house. It's like a stinkbug's public restroom, or zoo animals on a diet of old tires that haven't been cleaned in months.
How in the world can people like sucking that stuff down their lungs? I can hardly stand the smell from yards away, but inhaling it directly? Ugh.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: March 18, 2009, 06:13:37 am »
Convince them to smoke nice, flavored tobacco from a pipe. At least then it won't smell as bad.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2388 on: March 18, 2009, 10:53:29 am »
Convince them to smoke nice, flavored tobacco from a pipe. At least then it won't smell as bad.

Ah, pipe tobacco... so very nice. You smoke as well, I take it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:24:46 am by Daniel Krispin »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: March 18, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
Smoking sounds pretty cool, so long as you don't go through a pack a day. I'm alright with Grimmjow, actually. Don't know much about his series, but still pretty awesome. ZeaLitY seems to somehow connect with him, which is why he likes using him as an avatar. Much like me and Utena Tenjou. Although she's just badass. ... though I do get the whole acting like a boy thing. Posting here is better than letting it all sit up in my head, I know this. If I let it stew too long my brain will collapse.

Just got a test I thought I did pretty well on back.

Not bad, actually. Considering some just flunked it outright. It was a history test and what really got me was the essay. 10 points off. 9 points off the multiple choice.

Our teacher was livid at the generally bad scores, though. So she made us rewrite the essay. That's not what pisses me off. What's getting me is that everyone was TALKING during it. I couldn't focus. I asked the teacher to get everyone quiet, and they were for a while. Then they started talking AGAIN. Had to go to a different room. At least I got it done.

Another frustration. Typos in professional documents. We recently got a notice about free dental care for kids in the school. For kids who fit the requirements. Quite nice. Now, looking on the front page, here's something that bothers me.

Quote from: Front Page of Notice
What is the cost? There is no direct cost to the patient, however if the child has insurance the insurance will be billed. If the child doses not have insurance an effort will be made to sign the child up for dental insurance.

Find the problem in there. On the second page is another little thing that makes me go AAAAAAAAAAGH.

Quote from: Second Page of Notice
The Caring for kids program will run from September 2008 to June 2008.

Note that those quotes are verbatim. How sad is it that this information came from the superintendent of schools?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:24:09 pm by teaflower »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: March 18, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »
Typos in proffesional documents. .

tee hee

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: March 18, 2009, 02:13:02 pm »
Typos in proffesional documents. .
tee hee
... they don't have the red underline in this... and... and...

Shut up, okay?! If this were a word processing thingy, it would be red underlined and I would know it's wrong. But 'doses' is a word and thus does not excuse poor editing on the part of the secretary, or even Mr. Ravenelle himself!

Plus, posts on the Compendium =/= professional documents. ... is that right?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: March 18, 2009, 02:21:47 pm »
There is a spell check feature...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: March 18, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
Typos in professional documents. We recently got a notice about free dental care for kids in the school. For kids who fit the requirements. Quite nice. Now, looking on the front page, here's something that bothers me.

Quote from: Front Page of Notice
What is the cost? There is no direct cost to the patient, however if the child has insurance the insurance will be billed. If the child doses not have insurance an effort will be made to sign the child up for dental insurance.

Find the problem in there.

Well that first comma should be a semi-colon instead, there should be a comma after "however," and another between "insurance" and "an effort." That is an "if/then" statement, with the "then" gapped, but the comma is still needed.

Of course, as everyone knows, "doses" (pronounced dough-say) is Anglo-French for "holy crap, that's a bad typo."

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: March 18, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

Ah, pipe tobacco... so very nice. You smoke as well, I take it?

No.

idioticidioms

« Reply #2395 on: March 18, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »
the smoke off of pipe tobacco is just much more pleasing to the senses than the smoke off of other tobacco.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2396 on: March 18, 2009, 09:25:50 pm »
the smoke off of pipe tobacco is just much more pleasing to the senses than the smoke off of other tobacco.

Well, personally, I must admit to prefer cigars. Pipes, however, are a bit cheaper. That is, assuming you go for better quality ones in both. After all, you don't want to be smoking because you have to, but because it tastes good. Personally, I don't even smoke a pipe a day... just one every few days. The occassional cigar.

Then again, you've gotta be careful. Some people just have a natural bent to being addicted to smoking. I'm fortunate in that I'm not (ie. I can smoke a bit, then not for a week or two, and so on, without any adverse effects or cravings.) For me, it's just a matter of relaxation and enjoyment. From what most studies would show, there are no health drawbacks from such moderation (I myself would argue there are benefits, as the psychological effects of the relaxation are not usually accounted for.)

Of course, you don't usually get told that in regards to tobacco products. This is because cigarrettes are most certainly NOT good (after all, what's the point in smoking them? They don't even taste good.) They're cheap and dirty and really worthless. It's quite different if you smoke a nice tobacconist blend of pipe tobacco, or a nice Domincan cigar. So it's a shame that the stigma has extended to pipes and cigars, both of which are very excellent in moderation.

There's my frustration: the anti-smoking Fascism that has come down so heavily in recent years that they've dismissed some of life's best pleasures. Namely, a cigar/pipe, a Guinness, alongside some intellectual discussion with one's closest compatriots. Nothing better in all of life in my opinion.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: March 18, 2009, 11:40:14 pm »
I'm with you on the Guinness, and honestly I agree with you that pipe tobacco smells better than most everything else tobacco-related, but it's still a nasty habit and a nuisance to public health. Smoke at home, or at your friend's home, but not in the public square.

Gestapo enough for ya? =P

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2398 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:37 am »
I think Krispin's pretty much hit the nail on the head (again).
Cigarettes smell horrible and are quite a nuisance in the household. There is one guy who uses my bus stop at school, and smokes a pipe. It smells faintly of lavender, and something else. Not sure how to describe it. If you really have to smoke, please, PLEASE don't go for the cheap things. Make it something that won't drive crowds away.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: March 19, 2009, 12:54:02 am »

Well, personally, I must admit to prefer cigars. Pipes, however, are a bit cheaper. That is, assuming you go for better quality ones in both. After all, you don't want to be smoking because you have to, but because it tastes good. Personally, I don't even smoke a pipe a day... just one every few days. The occassional cigar.

Then again, you've gotta be careful. Some people just have a natural bent to being addicted to smoking. I'm fortunate in that I'm not (ie. I can smoke a bit, then not for a week or two, and so on, without any adverse effects or cravings.) For me, it's just a matter of relaxation and enjoyment. From what most studies would show, there are no health drawbacks from such moderation (I myself would argue there are benefits, as the psychological effects of the relaxation are not usually accounted for.)

Of course, you don't usually get told that in regards to tobacco products. This is because cigarrettes are most certainly NOT good (after all, what's the point in smoking them? They don't even taste good.) They're cheap and dirty and really worthless. It's quite different if you smoke a nice tobacconist blend of pipe tobacco, or a nice Domincan cigar. So it's a shame that the stigma has extended to pipes and cigars, both of which are very excellent in moderation.

There's my frustration: the anti-smoking Fascism that has come down so heavily in recent years that they've dismissed some of life's best pleasures. Namely, a cigar/pipe, a Guinness, alongside some intellectual discussion with one's closest compatriots. Nothing better in all of life in my opinion.

shisha smells and tastes better than pipe tobacco, imho. a hookah is an elaborate smoking device though, and can be kind of a pain in the ass.

i am pro smoker's rights. why the hell can't you go out for a cigarette between planes at the airport without going back through security? the smoking rooms in the airport always reek of cancer and other diseases.