Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484728 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1290 on: January 17, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
My life is even more complete.

Consultation on something! I want to say, 'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die' in Latin. This is what I came up with: 'Salve. Meus nomen est Inigo Montoya. Interfecis meum patrem. Para abere.' Good? Bad?

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 17, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
Life's full of nasty surprises!!!!!!!

I am friggin frustrated that I was soo impatint I "erased" myself here in the process.   Here's how it happened.

I had a power-surge due to a ice-storm so my PC barly turned on.  We ended up buying a new one and all my log-in info was gone so I couldn't remember my username due to it beeing more then a week since I logged in here.     

I tried various names of "Triforce" that I've came up with and nothing worked. So I threw me towel down and re-registered under a different name *plus my email had changed since I first signed up* but an hour later I reazlied I could've looked at my past history to find my name and I found it as "4th Triforce piece."  :x  *never really liked that name anyways*     

Lesson learned?   Don't let impatience over ride yourself and wait a few minutes if you are frustrated before you try something else or it may be the last thing you ever trie in your situation.     

I am also frustrated all my music I've collected is all GONE!!!    All the game music sites are down too!     

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:24 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that, Triforce. You out here in New Eng--

... is your name... Parker?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 17, 2009, 09:49:41 pm »
Wait, you're 4th Triforce Piece?

Welcome back!

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 17, 2009, 09:51:23 pm »
What?   Please don't make fun of me if you are trying to.  

Can anyone *Mods and/or Admins find my old account and delete it please?   I don't like my old username.   At least their is a silver lining in the cloud.    

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52:16 pm »
What?   Please don't make fun of me if you are trying to.

I wasn't trying to. I was trying to confirm who you were.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 17, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »
And I wasn't, either. You see, a while back here in New England, we got hit by an ice storm. My friend, Parker, lost power for about four days. His computer probably fried.

Well, if you remember your password for 4th Triforce Piece, you can delete it yourself. If not, PM ZeaLitY about it.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 17, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
Why didn't you just come on the site and look around for a user name that had Triforce in it? There was only one.  

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 17, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
The reason why you don't see me here much wheather in my old name or new is I am not very social so I don't want to say anything stupid that will get me into trobule.      

Yes I've read a recent thread bout someone named Shadow on Chrono General Discussion and how everyone is being just as bad of a troll as he is by not letting the mods deal with it.  

It's amazes me what can happen on a site when you've been gone for a long time.  :shock:     Sure doesn't take much for someone to throw a flame or troll.  

Seems like every time I type something I get the message.  "X replies have been made to this thread" so I have to wait a bit.   :(        Honestly    I am not a fan of attention so please try to lay off a bit?

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 17, 2009, 09:58:57 pm »
Posted by: placidchap 
Insert Quote
Why didn't you just come on the site and look around for a user name that had Triforce in it? There was only one.

:picardno I realized that too late as I have never had this kind of crisis before.   

I do NOT live in New England.  I live in Silverton Oregon where Portland had record snow for December but we didn't get as much and it came in the form of ice.   

40,000 something people lost power around here and people up the road from me lost it for days just outside of town.

I am going to PM Zeality to see if she can do something.    Thanks for the tip.      :D   Bye bye for now.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »
I understand completely. Don't worry; we all have to go through that.

You don't have to double post. And I have a friend here in New England named Parker with problems similar to yours. ... ZeaLitY is male.

Bye!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »

I am going to PM Zeality to see if she can do something.    Thanks for the tip.      :D   Bye bye for now.

You didn't get the memo?  It turns out Zeality is a he!

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »
Yes I've read a recent thread bout someone named Shadow on Chrono General Discussion and how everyone is being just as bad of a troll as he is by not letting the mods deal with it.

Yes, that would be me, now can we get off this topic, please?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 17, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »
Hahaha, reminds me of when Tact mistook me for a woman. Of course, it could have had something to do with the fact that I had paraded around with a female avatar for a few days, spouting feminist theory.

Triforce, consider your old account deleted.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:17:37 pm by FaustWolf »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1304 on: January 17, 2009, 10:11:17 pm »
My life is even more complete.

Consultation on something! I want to say, 'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die' in Latin. This is what I came up with: 'Salve. Meus nomen est Inigo Montoya. Interfecis meum patrem. Para abere.' Good? Bad?

Well, I'll have to consult my dictionary. I don't know off hand all the verbs and the gender of nomen. But it seems rather close. You certainly put in a good effort.

Nomen is neuter, so it should be 'meum' instead of meus. As for interfecis... it is the general term for killing, but might you want to be a little more specific? My dictionary gives 'caedere' as 'to stab'; 'occidere' as 'to cut down in battle'; and 'necare' is 'to put to a violent death.'

These allow you to play with the meaning in the verbs. Personally, I would use 'caedere', as it has the sound of being struck down (as his father was indeed done), and is the root we use for such words as suicide (the cide is from it, so suicide is 'to strike one's self.') Now as for the verb, you used a present tense, which would mean then 'you kill my father.' You should push this into the past. More than this, you should take the aspect of something that is done but continues to hold effect in the present. In Greek this is nicely renered by the perfect, and I think in Latin it has a similar function. As such, I would err on the side of the second person perfect of caedere, which is 'cecidisti' (I hate those third declension verbs!). And then the last... you have it rather euphamistically 'prepare to depart.' I suppose death is a departure (and I'm sure they referred to death as that). Now, you did rightly construct it with paro for preparation, and yet, looking at my dictionary, this one entry lists as 'to prepare one's self' as 'se comparare ad rem' (ie. to prepare one's self for a thing.' I would have been inclined, as you, to the imperative pare with an infinitive (I would have opted for 'mori', 'to die.') But seeing this, I think the more idiomatic Latin might have it thus, that the thing one prepares one's self for goes into the accusative with ad. As for the verb, it's compara in the imperative.

So that's that. It only leaves one to construct it in a more typically Latin idiomatic structure (that is, placing verbs last, most often), (oh, and I put 'ave' at the beginning, because 'salve' means 'health', which would be rather ironic) yielding:

Ave. Nomen meus est Inigo Montoya. Patrem meum cecidisti. Se compara ad mortem.

Out of curiosity, which grammar and dictionary you have? Having a thorough one is exceedingly helpful.