Author Topic: Who would you cast in a Chrono Trigger anime?  (Read 2255 times)

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Who would you cast in a Chrono Trigger anime?
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:54 pm »
Who would you cast in a Chrono Trigger anime?
Here are a few I thought of:

Crono: Sean Schemmel (This one is obvious. After all, he played Goku.)

Lucca: Tiffany Vollmer (Ditto- she played Bulma.)

Marle: Caitlin Glass (I've been imagining Marle with Winry Rockbell's voice lately.)

Frog: Chris Sabat (Especially since he played a different frog before [Giroro from Sgt. Frog]. I always imagined Glenn with a deep voice.)

Magus: Steve Blum (His Wolverine voice would be a nice fit.)

Schala: Wendee Lee (I was watching Haruhi Suzumiya while making the list, and as this moment came on: http://youtu.be/s8PECD9lp08?t=6m55s
things just clicked. I think it would work.)

Dalton: Vic Mignogna (After seeing his role in Soul Eater as Spirit/Death Scythe, I somehow feel he would do a good job as Dalton. Probably because both Dalton and Spirit have a lot of silly moments with their stupidity played for laughs.)

Cyrus: Travis Willingham (Cyrus with Roy Mustang's voice would be perfect)

Flea: John Burgmeier (Mainly because I mistook both Flea and Kurama as chicks at first.) 

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you cast in a Chrono Trigger anime?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:40:52 pm »
Wendee Lee? I've seen her mainly in the tough girl role (Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo, Kei from Akira redub, Violetta from Grandia 3) but.... me? o.o

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »
Morgan Free could be Gaspar.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:20 am »
On that note, Sam Elliott should be Melchior. If he was still alive, I'd say Tony Jay should be Belthasar, but otherwise I'm not so sure. Perhaps the same man who did Master Roshi?

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:49:59 am »
Morgan Free could be Gaspar.

I love the sound of that :D

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:47 am »
Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of Caitlin Glass, though I mostly remember her from Baccano's Miria character. Beyond that, I'm still satisfied with Protoman's suggestions. But here's mine:

Ayla: Maryke Hendrikse (notable for Revy from Black Lagoon)

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:26 am »
I haven't seen Baccano, but I'm also a Caitlin Glass fan. My favorite role of hers would have to be Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran Highschool Hostclub, the voice is even more fitting than Haruhi's Japanese voice actress. She sounds feminine but not at all to the point it ruins the disguise. I felt the need to point out her role as Winry though because that voice is more fitting for Marle than Haruhi's.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:28:45 pm »
I am a sad, sad creature who has been in fandom too long for my own good, because it genuinely bothers me that you're casting the dub before the Japanese original. (If you can imagine a purple cat smiley lying on its back with a giant anime-style sweatdrop hanging off it, it goes here.)

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »
Sorry, I don't know many Japanese voice actor names :(
The only Japanese voice actors whose names I know by heart are Romi Park, Masako Nowaza and Norio Wakamoto  :oops:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:37:20 pm by ProtomanX904 »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:01 pm »
Steve Blum is good, but his standard dude voice is used to much, so I'ma cast him as Spekkio and incidental monsters.

Gregg Berger for Magus, or someone with a good vaguely gravelly and deep radio type voice. You get that feel from RD I think. Or maybe Chris Sabat to keep with the Toriyama goodness (though leaning more to Piccolo/Zoro performance than Vegeta).

Dan Green for Frog. Trust me.

The range needed for the female characters is a little harder to pick. They need to sound like cute young girls, but Lucca has to be boisterous and geeky but also able to do the more serious isolated parts she has. Marle should be sweet and graceful, something that makes you tear up in her sweeter parts, but also loud and commanding. The hardest part with Schala is picturing her as Kid as well, even though I can think of some singers that might fit, acting is different.

I guess I don't watch much animes lately!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:53:13 pm »
Ha, I was going to say Gregg Berger would make a perfect Fargo. :P

Cindy Robinson for Schala/Kid.

Dan Green for Frog. Trust me.
Yup.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:59 pm »
The male characters are easier to cast than the female ones on the Japanese side, too, or maybe I just pay more attention to male seiyuu:

Crono (if voiced): Tomokazu Seki (he has a wide range, but I was mostly thinking here of his role as Van Fanel in Escaflowne)

Frog: Shin'ichirou Miki (his most recognizable role is probably Roy Mustang in Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but like Seki-san, he has a wide range, and I was thinking of a different set of roles when I picked him.)

Magus: Jouji Nakata, who makes a bit of a specialty of this type of character (and yes, has quite a deep voice). If he isn't available for whatever reason, substitute veteran seiyuu Shou Hayami.

Dalton: Takehito Koyasu, the most prolific male seiyuu in Japan. (He voiced a talking starfish named Pist, for Final Fantasy: Unlimited, who rather reminds me of Dalton. ;P )

I'm tempted to suggest Minami Takayama for Lucca, mostly on the strength of her role as mad scientist Anissina von Karbelnikoff from Kyo Kara Maoh.

Marle's type of character is so common in anime that I would expect 2/3 of all female seiyuu to be able to handle her.

Schala... Mmph. Maybe Yuriko Fuchizaki, on the basis of her role as Himemiya Anthy?

Robo: I have no idea. ;P

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:53 am »
Call me traditional, but I'd actually say that the Japanese Crono should be Nobuyuki Hiyama. Yes, the guy does pretty much nothing but hot-blooded young men, but still. Crono hardly says anything, he just does; even made a picture to represent that.

Legendary Biologist

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Searching the Unknown; Seeing the Hidden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:20:21 pm »
I think Sonny Strait (Maes Hughes in FMA) is fitting for Cyrus. For Queen Zeal, I just think that she is a bit like Lust, so Laura Bailey may be fitting.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »
I think Sonny Strait (Maes Hughes in FMA) is fitting for Cyrus. For Queen Zeal, I just think that she is a bit like Lust, so Laura Bailey may be fitting.

Years ago, I had Michelle Ruff as Schala, though someone else suggested Jodi Bensen, which after re-acquainting myself with Grandia II, kinda fits too.

That all changed in recent years, and I think Laura Bailey would be a better fit for Schala.

She just has that vary versatile voice range.

I also thought of Crispin Freeman as Magus/Guile/Magil, but now I'm leaning towards Gideon Emery more.