Author Topic: 1999 AD Gate and CC as a prequel...  (Read 5115 times)

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
1999 AD Gate and CC as a prequel...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 01:43:51 am »
the black omen is so strange though if thats the case.  Because if you go to 2300 AD and fight the security lasers you cannot fight them again in earlier time periods which are all before that instance.  However, if you destroy the 1000 AD black omen, you can still encounter it in 600 AD and 12,000 BC, but you, Sentenal, said you cannot.  I thought you could, I'll go check now, I might be wrong here.

Am I missing some aspect of it transcending time, or is it an error by the programmers, or is it just like that because it just is?

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 02:47:09 am »
I have a question that just popped, can you watch Lavos erupting in 1999 AD again and again? If you can, when the black omen is in the sky and you watch the video sequence you should see the black omen, but is it there?

Beer Pope

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 05:50:01 am »
Quote from: DarkGizmo
I have a question that just popped, can you watch Lavos erupting in 1999 AD again and again? If you can, when the black omen is in the sky and you watch the video sequence you should see the black omen, but is it there?

Yes, you can watch it over and over and over.  Seems to be in direct defiance of our theories on gate physics.   The Lavos gate is probably special,  because it's in a bucket.

When you see lavos erupt after defeating Zeal on the black omen, the omen is pulled downwards and disintigrates before Lavos surfaces.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 06:52:33 am »
Its not the fact that its in a bucket, Beer, its the Gate itself, a very strange Gate. Which reminds me, why are the Gates in the forest scene red and the one in New Game+ at the fair green?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 11:53:09 am »
Quote from: Lordchander
Its not the fact that its in a bucket, Beer, its the Gate itself, a very strange Gate. Which reminds me, why are the Gates in the forest scene red and the one in New Game+ at the fair green?

The bucket gate is special because it ALWAYS goes to the exact moment of Lavos's eruption. It isn't with the other gates in the EoT, and the Epoch does the same thing when traveling to that time. Lucca's gate is red because the entity is directly giving Lucca the chance to change history and save her mothers legs. I bet that if anyone besides Lucca had tried to go into that gate, something crazy would have happened. The first gate is green because it isn't part of the story, you don't get to use that gate until you play new game + and it only shows up in a new game + game.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 12:10:26 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Quote from: Lordchander

The bucket gate is special because it ALWAYS goes to the exact moment of Lavos's eruption. It isn't with the other gates in the EoT, and the Epoch does the same thing when traveling to that time. Lucca's gate is red because the entity is directly giving Lucca the chance to change history and save her mothers legs. I bet that if anyone besides Lucca had tried to go into that gate, something crazy would have happened. The first gate is green because it isn't part of the story, you don't get to use that gate until you play new game + and it only shows up in a new game + game.

Notice how Spekkio comes out of that gate in one of the endings.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 03:41:21 pm »
Perhaps Lavos' eruption affects time whereas it causes the gate to lapse and only lead up to that moment.  Because things you do in other time periods are already completed and cannot be done again (time bastard?)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 01:23:42 am »
Quote from: Legend
Notice how Spekkio comes out of that gate in one of the endings.

Really? Which ending was that? And what reason would Spekkio have to leave the EoT, that would be against the rules of a 'god' or whatever he is.

L33t Ninj4

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/l33t_blackninja
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 12:19:16 am »
Quote from: CatchRBFivy
Perhaps Lavos' eruption affects time whereas it causes the gate to lapse and only lead up to that moment.  Because things you do in other time periods are already completed and cannot be done again (time bastard?)

I've always assumed it was the Entity that was in control of the bucket gate and was the reason the Epoch always travelled to the same exact moment in time when you jumped to 1999AD. Assuming it was the Entity that wanted the travellers to defeat Lavos in the first place, it probably didn't want them to be tardy or unprepared for their appointment with destiny. Note that when you show up in 1999AD you are usually granted the option to fight or leave, and wouldn't it suck for a level-22 Crono to show up with Aeon Blade in hand and be stuck there. Mad beatdowns would ensue.

I also think that's why after you defeat the Lavos shell, that gate inside of the shell appears. After that, when you return to 1999AD, you don't have to fight the shell again. It's like christmas everyday with the Entity.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2005, 07:53:00 am »
I'm fairly sure that the inside of Lavos gate only appears when you go through the Black Omen. Even if you leave and then go through Lavos via different means, the gate is no longer there (unless your 'other means' is another Black Omen that is...).

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 08:10:06 am »
Bah, not Spekkio, Gasper... I think you get that one when you crash Epoch to get to Lavos.

L33t Ninj4

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/l33t_blackninja
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 08:19:27 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
I'm fairly sure that the inside of Lavos gate only appears when you go through the Black Omen. Even if you leave and then go through Lavos via different means, the gate is no longer there (unless your 'other means' is another Black Omen that is...).

Not necessarily, you can take the bucket gate to the gate inside of Lavos as well. Atleast, you can do it in a new game+.

Either way, how you get there is actually irrelevent. It's the fact that you can use it after defeating the shell and that afterwards it never brings you back to the moment Lavos actually erupts that I was attempting to illustrate.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 08:13:54 pm »
The gate inside the shell appears everytime except for when you crash Epoch into Lavos.

Gaspar doesn't leave the EoT if you crash Epoch, crashing Epoch gets you the balloon ending (best ending!). I don't recall Gaspar leaving the EoT in any of the endings, but I haven't seen them all in a year or so.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2005, 08:16:26 pm »
He leaves in the ending before you revive Crono, doesn't he?

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2005, 08:26:49 pm »
You mean the ending where they revive Crono? I think they are talking to Gaspar in the EoT, but like I said, I haven't seen them all in a while.