Author Topic: 11 years later... No sequels...  (Read 3894 times)

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: 11 years later... No sequels...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:31:45 pm »
The only upside to there being no Chrono sequel is that Square-Enix hasn't milked the series like the way they've milked the Final Fantasy series.

If Square-Enix did make another Chrono game, they would most likely keep releasing sequel after sequel, which would be bad.

The Chrono games need to be made with love and care, and I don't think that Square-Enix is capable of doing that right now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:56:41 pm by Crono666 »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »
Why not just pitch an idea for a Chrono Game set IN SPACE?
In Deep Space, no one can hear you murder Lavos all over again...

Bekkler, my point was that Chrono was cooler than Mario. When CT was initially publicized as Square and Enix joined forces (I'm going on a "hungry dog on steak" analogy here), people were all, "HEY, THAT GUY LOOKS LIKE GOKU! WITH A KATANA!!" and immediately brought the cartridges, knowing that CT was something cool. Hey, Dragonball was cool too!

Similarly, if they come up with something new and cool just as they did back then, with a new installment to Chrono series which already has some gamer-pulling factors, well... we're talkin money, mates!

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
well... Mario IN SPACE sold pretty well  :P But that's because Super Mario Galaxy is pretty neat on its own xD

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »
well... Mario IN SPACE sold pretty well  :P But that's because Super Mario Galaxy is pretty neat on its own xD

Amen, brother. (If there was a peace emocon, I would put it here)

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:07 am »
The only upside to there being no Chrono sequel is that Square-Enix hasn't milked the series like the way they've milked the Final Fantasy series.

If Square-Enix did make another Chrono game, they would most likely keep releasing sequel after sequel, which would be bad.

The Chrono games need to be made with love and care, and I don't think that Square-Enix is capable of doing that right now.

Good point. For that reason, it might be a good idea for Square to sell the franchise, either to Monolith Soft or Obsidian (not sure about the later, but they seem motivated).

Not if Square can reunite a good chunk of the original team that would be another story.

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 01:01:30 am »
Well, IMO Dragon Quest IX proved to me that some parts of Square-Enix still know what they're doing.

CT was largely successful because Squaresoft hired some of Enix's best designers, and now that Square and Enix are together, it may be possible to have quite a bit of the original team working on a Chrono sequel.

Nocturne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Squee!
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Wonderland: Alice Liddell's FanPage.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:54:23 am »
Don't let 11 years fool you. My favorite game American Mcgee's Alice's, which was made in early 2000 finally is having a sequel this month. If there is a game in the works, I rather wait multiple years knowing that it will be well crafted. :3

Square-Enix always seems to have a lot on their plate and with the million dollar stock that was taking out due to Final Fantasy XIV's failure, plus the the earthquake, and Sony going down they're probably on edge to work on a huge game to get their money back. >___>;;

Hopefully, Chrono Break will come out, or even, I would be pleased with a remake of Chrono Cross with PS3 graphics. At least it will input more money into the Chrono money pool ;which will make them more willing to make the game. Personally, with all these ports of Chrono Trigger flying around, I think that's what they are trying to do.

Kenshuke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lucca powah!
    • View Profile
    • CHRONOs WORLD
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »
Hopefully, Chrono Break will come out, or even, I would be pleased with a remake of Chrono Cross with PS3 graphics. At least it will input more money into the Chrono money pool ;which will make them more willing to make the game. Personally, with all these ports of Chrono Trigger flying around, I think that's what they are trying to do.

Amén <3 That´s exactly what I was thinking. All those ports have revived my hope of a new chrono game ^_^ Chrono Break uin space... umm, that´s sounds extremely interesting =D

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:12 am »
That's what I thought, but the comments of the VP about the DS port not selling enough put my hopes down quite a bit.

Ciphermind

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:45 am »
With the recent DS and upcoming VC and PSN releases, it's abundantly clear that Square Enix is testing the market.  What better way to gague interest in an 11 years dead series than to re-release the first game and see how it sells?  If you really want another Chrono title, there's only one thing to do: Buy all the versions of Chrono Trigger/Cross.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:42 pm »
With the recent DS and upcoming VC and PSN releases, it's abundantly clear that Square Enix is testing the market.  What better way to gague interest in an 11 years dead series than to re-release the first game and see how it sells?  If you really want another Chrono title, there's only one thing to do: Buy all the versions of Chrono Trigger/Cross.

There is a slight problem with the current releases of Chrono Trigger on the DS, it seems unless it sold a set amount they didn't consider it a success. Now bear in mind this is what was said prior the announcement of it being release on the PSN, but that does nothing to alleviate my concerns. I have seen a trend in how they are treating their IPs and it isn't reassuring on how they will develop another Chrono game if at all.

I wouldn't mind a release of Chrono Cross on the PSP, but I'm not going to blindly buy the game on all the platforms just for a chance for another Chrono game. There is no reason to support the development of the game if it is devoid of what made it's predecessor's great. Just so Square-Enix make more money while disappointing their fan-base..

This post isn't really a direct reply to you Ciphermind, but rather my thoughts on how Square-Enix operating in a self-destructive way.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »
I agree, Nex. You can only buy the same effing game so many times.

Personally, I'm still on the post-CnD bandwagon and think a straight, wide-spread boycott would send a far more clear message than BUYING  their games, which, for a company that sells games primarily, is simply business as usual and nothing worth noticing.

Like a boycott would ever really happen though.  :o

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 11:18:34 pm »
While I also am not happy with the lack of a sequel and Square/Enix's behavior regarding fan projects, demanding a boycott is not something to be done lightly.  For one thing they are usually ineffective.  The thing about boycotts is that people have to actually participate for them to work.  A lot of people.  A lot more than the jaded minority fan base that we (sadly) are.  To get that kind of support S/E would have to do something particularly egregious, something that would warrant commentary from professional video-game journalists and get everyone up in arms.  That isn't likely to happen.

A more productive course, and one more likely to get results, is to increase demand for all things Chrono.  I think the Compendium has been doing an admirable job of this, C&Ds notwithstanding.  If you build it, they will come.