Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: The verdict is in, and it's not pretty.  (Read 2913 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV: The verdict is in, and it's not pretty.
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »
Many of us suspected this day would come.  A mainline Square/Enix title has finally drawn the ire of mainstream review sites - and they held nothing back in blasting the new MMO.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/review.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-final-fantasy/705892

It's a sad day for Squaresoft fans.  Has anyone tried this game for themselves?  Did anyone dare?  :cry:   :cry:   :cry:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIV: The verdict is in, and it's not pretty.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »
Yeah, I saw the reviews, and it really blew me away. I'm glad big companies aren't just being given a pass by the reviewers.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »
Well, that's disheartening. I don't play MMOs, but it's a pity to see a good brand and a talented team end turn out such a(n allegedly) poor product.

Looking on the bright side, however... maybe this means Square Enix will finally let Tanaka's team work on something that isn't an MMO?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »
To ribbons with the reviewers! As long as I can customize my characters with asymmetrical sleeves and bodacious belt bangles there's really nothing else that matters.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »
Ever since FF14 was announced, my thought was Square + MMO = not going to be good.

Too bad Angry Video Game Nerd doesn't do MMOs. This sounds like the holy grail of shitty online games.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:14:19 pm by Princess Schala Zeal »

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:03:24 am »
Ever since FF14 was announced, my thought was Square + MMO = not going to be good.
Speaking as someone who plays FF11 (also an MMO), and forwarding the opinion of one of the major forums covering FF11, "it's like they took everything they did right in FF11, and purposely ignored it, then took everything they did wrong and repeated it".

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:40:43 am »
I know FF11 is an MMO, but everything in it costs real money -- not just the subscription, but everything.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:07:57 am »
Woof!

tuxedojacob

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »
It's this point in time that I realized that I don't WANT SE to touch the Chrono series anymore.  Leave it where it is.  Better to not have follow up or the chance of a good sequel than milking it and destroying it as a franchise. (I should have realized this 5-10 years ago)

R.I.P. Final Fantasy  :(

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »
FFXIII pretty much sucked, too... Way to go Square Enix!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 11:21:47 pm »
Boo, although it's 1/14th off topic, I'm interested in your opinion on what was wrong with FFXIII. Auto-battle systems always turn me off in RPGs, but was the scenario writing poor or anything, or was it just the gameplay? I was really shocked at how well FFXII's story was written when I finally checked it out, so I should probably check out FFXIII's cutscenes at some point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:23:58 pm by FaustWolf »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 01:26:03 am »
XIII looked great, but the story was shallow, the characters were shallow, and their motivations were whimsical at best. Poor scenario writing overall, overly linear storyline / environs only made the game that much less enjoyable. On a side note, I did enjoy the graphics of the game. And the soundtrack was great, although a lot of the music was constantly reused.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50:11 am »
XIII looked great, but the story was shallow, the characters were shallow, and their motivations were whimsical at best. Poor scenario writing overall, overly linear storyline / environs only made the game that much less enjoyable. On a side note, I did enjoy the graphics of the game. And the soundtrack was great, although a lot of the music was constantly reused.

I thought the game was " o. k. " (SPOILERS BELOW)

The story was good after everything was explained (the Datalog helped me out greatly at times). Not all the characters were shallow... Sazh was by far the best character. Everything Sazh-related kept me playing; that and continuing the overall story. The linearity did not bother me one bit and the switching of scenarios throughout the chapters was neat. The music was amazing with several moving scores. Even if the beginning was reminiscent of FF7, I enjoyed the easter-eggs of past FF games making an appearance. The primary side quests were challenging, yet lacking. Acquiring money was near-impossible, unless farming Long Gui's was on your daily to-do list. Creating the best equipment and weapons was also a result of farming hard-to-beat enemies over and over again. The ending was also blah, yet good to see a happy outcome overall. But I still thoroughly enjoyed my time in FF13.

Anyways, regarding FF14... i knew it was going to fail, and i am glad it did. Maybe now SE will start on reviving Chrono, since we have this current FF MMO's older brother to thank for... arrgghhh... not going to say it... forgive my outburst...

Thinking about that whole situation makes me want to punch Korcha in the junk repeatedly until those red underpants get to be a much darker color... - "meez gots'CHA in zee bahlz beech! lolz und yo seestar Mel b nexxed ven i slapp d sheet oot uf hur."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:56:44 am by Magus22 »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:47 pm »
Another interesting note is that this appears to be the first Final Fantasy game ever to be universally hated by fans and reviewers alike. XIII provoked a significant backlash, but still had its defenders. XIV, on the other hand, seems to have finally been successful in drawing the ire of the entire Final Fantasy fanbase and gaming community alike.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:09 pm »

Boo, did you feel the game was cut and paste? Like they had a great story but only used the crucial parts? That's how I felt. The fighting was amazing, possibly my favorite in the series minus one or two details. (which I'd be glad to share) But I was very confused as to how the story was progressing when they didn't really give any reasons for it to. They just seemed like continuing because it's a VG. Now I understand that they actually had over 100 hours of gameplay planed but only used 48, because they felt they over did it. And as I thought about it, it made sense that the holes were there. The NPCs had no development and were outrageously shallow, that's because they cut their details out. I did not like the soundtrack! Melodies > Theatrics (to me at least)

Another interesting note is that this appears to be the first Final Fantasy game ever to be universally hated by fans and reviewers alike. XIII provoked a significant backlash, but still had its defenders. XIV, on the other hand, seems to have finally been successful in drawing the ire of the entire Final Fantasy fanbase and gaming community alike.

I'll be honest, I do enjoy 14. Not enough to defend it though. I refuse to accept I have to change my job for 2 weeks! They did this in 13 too! I want to develop as far as I can, not as far as you say I should! As great as it could be they did their typical, lets appeal to the west shit as always.

Only thing I can say is I hope they wake up and see they suck now.