Author Topic: Chrono Cross just might head to the 3DS in the future.  (Read 4369 times)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross just might head to the 3DS in the future.
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:47 am »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=137620

If you recognize most of the titles, you'll learn they were from the PS2 era whereas CC itself came from the PS. With the power of the 3DS, it might be possible for a port (or remake altogether) on the 3DS. And since Capcom announced a ML3, I wouldn't be surprised if SE create a new Chrono game. What do you think?

Kenshuke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lucca powah!
    • View Profile
    • CHRONOs WORLD
Re: Chrono Cross just might head to the 3DS in the future.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »
Itīs hard to say... A remake/port of CC while there are a lot of rumors about a west-style Chrono Trigger? And S-E is launching all their games in the PSNetwork, the last mentioned were Parasite Eve 1 and 2. Wouldnīt it be more probable to be launched in the PSNetwork?

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »
If they're making a third Mega Man Legends game on it, than I think a Chrono cross port could be done fairly easily.  At least graphics wise.  I'd think the main issue would be financially.  Just a port of CC might not be quite as much of a hit as CTDS.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:13:54 pm »
Wasn't Capcom all whiney about MML3?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
I agree with Delta Dragon. I'm sure the 3DS would be able to port Chrono Cross. The problem is money. Judging by Hashimoto's response to Chrono Trigger DS, that port didn't produce as much money as they hoped. So why should Square Enix try again, and on a newer system at that (though I do believe the 3DS is backwards compatible)?

A port to the PSN is more likely in my opinion. Unfortunately, we haven't heard anything about it.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 12:01:43 am »
Wasn't Capcom all whiney about MML3?
In what way?

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:24:19 pm »
God, I hope so. That would make my year.

That said, going from "a lot of fifth and sixth-gen games are being ported/remade for 3DS" to "Chrono Cross might be ported/remade for 3DS" is, sadly, quite a leap of logic. I want to have cause for hope, but it's going to take some actual evidence.

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »
I hope it's NOT a direct port, but an enhanced remake, with all the plot issues (pacing and unanswered thematic questions) fixed. The game seemed liked it was rushed halfway through in terms of plot, because of a deadline, and was a failure in terms of what the writer, Kato, was really trying to do. If it were remade for 3DS, the second half of the game would have to be fleshed out and and better paced in order to acheive that. Though the whole game would have to be rendered entirely in 3D for it to look right on the 3DS screen. Wouldn't that eat up space? A 3DS card holds 2 GB at launch, and I think 2 CDs hold around 1.5 GB.

TimePhazer

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Linkin Park Rocks! Agree Or Be Assimilated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 12:58:50 am »
I hope it's NOT a direct port, but an enhanced remake, with all the plot issues (pacing and unanswered thematic questions) fixed. The game seemed liked it was rushed halfway through in terms of plot, because of a deadline, and was a failure in terms of what the writer, Kato, was really trying to do. If it were remade for 3DS, the second half of the game would have to be fleshed out and and better paced in order to acheive that. Though the whole game would have to be rendered entirely in 3D for it to look right on the 3DS screen. Wouldn't that eat up space? A 3DS card holds 2 GB at launch, and I think 2 CDs hold around 1.5 GB.

They could make it a two card game. disk one on card one, disk two on card two. that would free up space

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 03:13:51 am »
Well, the problem with that is the save files would have to be on a game single card, because game saves wont go on the 3DS system or a memory card (reserved for DSiWare, music, apps, etc), meaning you can't load data on a different card. A straight port of the game could easily fit inside a single game card with all the save data, but a full 3D remake is going to take more space. By the time Square hopefully announces a remake, Nintendo will have 4 GB cards, more than enough for the whole game to fit.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:58:47 pm »
This is a huge amount of speculation, and I have to admit, the topic made me hopeful for a second before I read through it.

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:57:57 pm »
Hopefully, if the Cross remake sells well enough, we'll see Chrono Break for the 3DS someday.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:37 pm »
Before it can have any sales figures it has to be released, for it to be released someone has to be working on it, for someone to work on it, it has to exist. There is no evidence that supports the claim that SE is even thinking about a remake/port/re-release. The OP even said, most of the games that are gonna be on the 3DS are from PS2 era, which (to me) means they are skipping PSX/PS1. Hell, they released all of SE's PS1 and older Final Fantasy Titles again, some in PSNetwork, some on GBA, some on DS, and they're even re-releasing obscure crap like  Chocobo racing (no offense to anyone who actually likes those games).

But not a single word about Chrono Cross. Just two ports of Trigger and an insult about not buying enough (Yuji Hori? I think that's his nameShinji Hashimoto - thanks gatotsu).

Do systems now have the capability to play CC? Of course. But, you know, as I know, SE doesn't care anymore.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:50:31 pm by Mr Bekkler »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 07:21:58 pm »
Shinji Hashimoto was actually the one responsible for the snide comment about people not buying enough Chrono Trigger. Horii is actually a pretty cool guy, although he's explicitly said he has no interest in returning to Chrono Trigger or anything related to it.

I'm not going to say SE will never re-release or remake Chrono Cross (I certainly hope it will), but yeah, as of now there is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that they are actually planning on doing so, and this thread title is incredibly misleading.

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »
Before it can have any sales figures it has to be released, for it to be released someone has to be working on it, for someone to work on it, it has to exist. There is no evidence that supports the claim that SE is even thinking about a remake/port/re-release. The OP even said, most of the games that are gonna be on the 3DS are from PS2 era, which (to me) means they are skipping PSX/PS1. Hell, they released all of SE's PS1 and older Final Fantasy Titles again, some in PSNetwork, some on GBA, some on DS, and they're even re-releasing obscure crap like  Chocobo racing (no offense to anyone who actually likes those games).

But not a single word about Chrono Cross. Just two ports of Trigger and an insult about not buying enough (Yuji Hori? I think that's his name).

Do systems now have the capability to play CC? Of course. But, you know, as I know, SE doesn't care anymore.
True, I do hope for Chrono Cross re-release or remake but if they hand it to TOSE(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tose_(company)) then i doubt there will be any major enhancement or additions. The only reason that Tactics Ogre (for example) has significant changes/additions is the fact they handle it internally.