Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 99128 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #1050 on: November 08, 2011, 01:15:18 am »
I am sad to say it, but there are only three kinds of reaction to my comment in favor of criminalizing sexism. There are the philosophers, who agree because their principles line up with it. There are the females and their friends and allies, who agree on account of having suffered the effect of sexism personally, or have witnessed it affect people close to them. And there are the people who disagree and call me a crazy or a radical. That is the nature of fighting an entrenched prejudice. Most people who aren't specifically aware of the evil, don't perceive it at all. People tend not to pay much attention to the air we breathe. It's everywhere, but it's invisible, and, precisely because we breathe it so continuously, we just don't think about it. So it is with sexism.
Pardon my intervention, and I'm going to be blunt here. I'm a philosopher, and I do not agree with you despite my principles lining up with it, and that is because as a human being you can be ill-consequential and/or wrong. People are not going to join the "Josh Fanclub" simply because they conform with your sentiments, and there will be those who disagree with you, because chances are that the majority see where you're going wrong. You aren't the only one witnessing evil, but apparently you have little experience in actively fighting it.

Taking on a predator tooth and nail is one thing, but actions determined out of prejudiced and reckless behavior such as yours only serve to make social and political situations worse (for note, observe your politicians) especially when the enemy is an abstract human nature. I have explained time and again that the journey is more important than the destination, and that there are methods to everything. But you focus on sentiments alone rather than ways to combat them based on narrow-minded perspective and without substantial info. Your ideal is noble, but your methods would only replace an existing evil with a totalitarian human fallacy, something that the society will take advantage of and rebuild it into a greater evil, something that will again remove precious "Agency" from the commoners (see the shortcomings of Capitalism). You don't kill a snake by stomping on a snake viciously and vehemently, and that's logic. Are you even aware of the Salt theory?

I understand that you're sickened with the sexist and hate crimes, and almost everyone in the Compendium is because we's developed an incredible, mature culture here. But as I've said before, Josh, relax and don't get so self-destructive. Think twice before you make preposterous assertions, and especially think before you toss a barb at a potential ally and especially when they don't mean any ills towards you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:27:24 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 08, 2011, 02:32:28 am »
Aren't you adorable. Lecturing me on a subject where not only am I probably the forum's most well-studied devotee, but a subject also where you yourself have poor comprehension and a poor behavior record. I suppose the only superlative to that would be for you to lecture me on my English.

There was nothing out of place with my statement to Truthordeal. There was nothing to reasonably contend. I know your kind. The United States has a strong anti-intellectual movement of people who possess enormously passionate beliefs in blatant contravention of all the requirements of logical consistency and factual validation. It's impossible to have a conversation with them, because they assert without justification and absolutely, steadfastly refuse to participate in proper argument. You are that. Initially I did not see it because of our cultural differences. Now I find it disgustingly clear.

I have always had a policy of correcting the more egregious statements which appear on this board--for the benefit of the community more so than that of the mook who wrote them. I will correct yours as necessary. In the meanwhile, if the worst I should have to expect from you is having my own personal court jester to spoof me, I suppose I should count myself lucky.

But how unfortunate a waste. You have already crossed the line with more than one person here, and have learned nothing from your ignorance. You have squandered both my patience and my efforts of goodwill. I'm well aware the futility of a pissing match, but I find it cathartic to confide that I don't like you one bit, Mr. Tushantin. I suggest you play carefully when making toys out of subjects like this one that are so important to our human endeavor.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1052 on: November 08, 2011, 03:35:22 am »
Aren't you adorable. Lecturing me on a subject where not only am I probably the forum's most well-studied devotee, but a subject also where you yourself have poor comprehension and a poor behavior record. I suppose the only superlative to that would be for you to lecture me on my English.
Ah, see? That's what I was talking about. You like painting yourself with purple colors and presenting yourself as "Magnanimous", but your own responses in context prove contradictory.

I didn't mean to offend you on my previous posts, but in this case allow me to point this out for you: you're a pathetic hypocrite. Beyond that, I refuse to use my venom more than necessary or waste my bullets on you, nor do I have any intention to socially undermine you. So too do I advise you to reserve your venom for more practical scenarios like actually doing something about sexism rather than try prove yourself self-righteous "Holier Than Thou" individual on public forums. There's no point bringing business or political battles home, because you're trying to build support, not enemies.

I know your kind.
Oh, so you're going to start a Religious Movement now? How quaint! Apparently Josh loves to lead people through their sentiments without valuing a person's justifications, and when someone disagrees with Ol' Josh he'd call it "Blasphemy". That's very adorable! What are you going to name it?

You have squandered both my patience and my efforts of goodwill. I'm well aware the futility of a pissing match, but I find it cathartic to confide that I don't like you one bit, Mr. Tushantin. I suggest you play carefully when making toys out of subjects like this one that are so important to our human endeavor.
Ah, 'Goodwill', you say? Allow me to point you to a post which contained nothing but an honest, personal opinion based on experience. What did you respond with? Whatever it was, it wasn't out of 'Goodwill', that's for sure. Anyone can have 'Goodwill', Josh, but what are you going to do with it? How are you going to help others fulfill theirs? How are you going to accomplish it yourself? Let me point that the moment you responded to me you tried to squander my goodwill towards discussing social equality, and such acts from you would be categorized as "hateful", and if a person intends to use "hate" towards potential allies and oppositions then it's incredibly difficult for you to or established that 'Goodwill', or near-impossible must I say. And if it's that impossible then it's hardly a realistic method. Empathy cannot be harnessed with apathetic behavior. Need I correct you more?

I don't know why you think I'm out to get you, Josh, because everytime you respond to me or others with differing opinions it's out of spite and grudge of some kind. However, I do sense some fear in you. That fear turns wrath, and perhaps that is responsible for you aggressive behavior, especially towards those who disagree with you. Are you that frightened, Josh? Do you really feel that insecure?

And I suggest you to tread carefully with these subjects. We've already seen the many in the media that abuse human systems to promote their flawed ideals, despite their intentions. If you love to criticize so much then it would do you well to consider criticisms directed towards you. Don't be so afraid, Josh, I have no ills against you; if anything, I worry you'd self-destruct. You're with friends here, mate, so why get so upset?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:41:38 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 08, 2011, 04:16:16 am »
And now, back to the topic of sexism...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 08, 2011, 06:32:34 am »
I hope this isn't de-railing J's re-railing, but I'd like to revisit that reactionary law or set of laws in India that tushantin mentioned yesterday. (And by "reactionary" I don't mean to give it a negative connotation out of hand -- I assume it was passed literally in reaction to a concern). tushantin, can we get any more details on that, or an article or anything? It sounds like it would make an interesting case study to examine; it might be especially useful to get some opinions from both the law's supporters and detractors, because that'll help give the rest of us more insight into the matter.

In a law class I was taught to look at the death penalty kind of inversely, and it's interesting to apply that to the discussion here: in some respects assigning the death penalty is not a measure of our brutality, but a measure of the order in which we prioritize things. For J to say that he supports the death penalty for a recidivist hater is a pretty clear statement that sexual equality is his #1 issue, or shares that rank with anything else he'd apply the death penalty to. Which is perfectly consistent with his philosophy as much as he's shared it so far.

This begs the question: for those of us who don't support the death penalty under the circumstances J has outlined, what does it say about us and our own priorities? And what happens if we don't allow ourselves the death penalty at all -- are we still capable of showing J's level of dedication to the stamping out of sexism? My own gut reaction is that my preference would be to put shock collars on such people and force them to contribute to the creation of anti-sexism PSAs. That I'd still seek to squeeze some utility out of the situation rather than stamp them out entirely means I'm still taken with the notion that hate speech is less a danger to society than physical violence. I'll have to ponder on this some more.

Remember everyone, tomorrow is election day in the US! In Mississippi, a huge blow could be dealt to reproductive rights.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:16:20 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1055 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »
I hope this isn't de-railing J's re-railing, but I'd like to revisit that reactionary law or set of laws in India that tushantin mentioned yesterday.
I don't think the law was "reactionary", nor was it "radical" -- rather somewhere in between, a progress change based on moral literacy. Although, I'd love to expound on the theory if it can help you folks in any way (with the resentment towards my honest opinion earlier in this thread, I withheld the details out of logical assumption that nobody needed it).

tushantin, can we get any more details on that, or an article or anything? It sounds like it would make an interesting case study to examine; it might be especially useful to get some opinions from both the law's supporters and detractors, because that'll help give the rest of us more insight into the matter.
You're right, that opinions from both the supporters and detractors are necessary to gain insight before predicting the direction of socio-political push.

And thanks for asking! I'll try writing a detailed post probably by tonight, or perhaps by morn or noon tomorrow. Nevertheless, I would like to inform that it wasn't until 6 months ago that I began using Google Reader, and before that usually relied on Newspapers, Radio, alternative media, Literature, word of mouth, and actually witnessing change in my neighborhood with my own eyes, so finding such articles regarding the progressive movements will be difficult. I'll try, though.

Also, from a general Indian to the Americans, good luck on the Mississippi incident and for the elections.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1056 on: November 08, 2011, 01:15:42 pm »
Thank you for your time, J.

The reason I harped on the death penalty portion is because it was the most bewildering. Being a rabid free-speech advocate, I've come across the concept of hate speech laws and I understand that. I get why people would want to criminalize certain types of speech. Heck, I slip into that mindset every now and then because its easy to want to punish particularly disgusting figures. But the idea of executing people is usually only brought up in a fit of rage or in a joking manner. Zeality's fond of telling people to die or go to hell, but you tend to be very reserved about that sort of thing. This, along with the fact that you don't approve of capital punishment in general, shocked me. Me being the rabid free-speech advocate, I found your idea of criminalizing speech anathema at first. Bewilderment + anathema = "Are you out of your damn mind?" So, there you have it.

That being said, I've read your reasoning and I think you may be on to something as far as New Media is concerned. I have no doubt that if one of the people mentioned in the article were to go up to that woman on the street and tell her they'd rape her and the like, they would be arrested. That's what's called verbal assault, and its punishment is everything you mentioned. This should also be the case on the Internet. But it isn't, due to that veil of anonymity. I think if you got rid of that(or at least the legal protections thereof), or invented a device that allows you to punch people over the Internet, this problem would die down on its own.

The capital punishment thing makes sense as well; the people you've described would probably be "bad" enough on their own to commit capital offenses anyway. If I supported capital punishment at all, I might agree with you. But I don't, and I think there are better ways to get to your desired end. Maybe FW's shock collars. If it works for dogs, it could work for beasts of that nature.

Now if we were talking about a man standing in the middle of Times Square holding up a sign or speaking through a megaphone, saying something like "All women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant," I'd say no, that's protected speech. I cannot justify imprisoning them and not someone like you who says things that would disgust most "normal" people. And to cut off speech like that is tyrannical, and tyranny is bad. I realize who I'm up against, and that I'd have better luck swimming the English channel with a lead weight. I'd take the challenge, but unfortunately I don't have the time or energy to obstinantly argue like I used to. I'll have to save that for a future contention. So for the time being, you can call me a mook and a useful idiot and we can part on that.

Quote from: FaustWolf
for J to say that he supports the death penalty for a recidivist hater is a pretty clear statement that sexual equality is his #1 issue, or shares that rank with anything else he'd apply the death penalty to. Which is perfectly consistent with his philosophy as much as he's shared it so far.

This begs the question: for those of us who don't support the death penalty under the circumstances J has outlined, what does it say about us and our own priorities?

This should come as a surprise to no one, but sexual equality is not my number one priority. Education is, and there's no room for capital punishment in education. Unless the kid just gets really really annoying.

tush, any record of it and its results would be great. Even if it's just a wikipedia article.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »
Josh, I beg your indulgence as I take my time considering if it is worthwhile to respond to you. You are, unfortunately, in error: your end result is oppressive to women and your means are straight from a Christian Fundamentalist's playbook. In fairness, your stance is unquestionably a continent's worth better than the anti-choice stance, which greatly diminishes the urgency of correcting you. Also in fairness, my own stance, though more correct than yours, is still incomplete and, as such, dangerous. This greatly increasing the dangers of correcting you. And, in all honest, I am tired: such a post (and the inevitable follow up) would be an energy intensive activity. So, again, I must beg your indulgence as I delay.

If I ultimately decide it is worthwhile, I would propose that these posts:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210382.html#msg210382
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210937.html#msg210937
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210943.html#msg210943
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210946.html#msg210946
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210947.html#msg210947
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7769.msg210997.html#msg210997
be moved to the Abortion thread: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7945.0.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:27:23 pm by Thought »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 08, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »
Josh, I've spent much time laboring on your message here, so I hope I've come to an understanding on your viewpoint. There were, however, I few things I found disconcerting, or at least objectionable.

Quote from: Lord J Esq
2. Our physical nature provides that an unborn child does not possess personhood at any stage. Personhood, not “life” or “humanity,” is the relevant criterion at issue when it comes to asserting any special rights of the unborn. The absence of personhood is the absence of legal standing. One cannot murder a non-person, nor is the killing of a non-person inherently wrong like murder is.
First, can you give your definition of personhood? I think it would help me understand why the lack of personhood would justify the killing of an unborn child, and why this--

1. ... The privacy argument fails because the charge of anti-abortionists is murder, and the charge is superficially plausible enough that society must respond to it. What follows is the discovery that there is no actual murder occurring. This, the privacy argument is half-baked, and can be easily grown into a much stronger argument.
is correct.

2. The right to personhood by the unborn child sets in after conception but before the child is born. This strategy pragmatically attempts to serve everyone by asserting the right to an abortion for part of the pregnancy, but asserting personhood rights for the fetus for the remainder of the pregnancy. The logic behind it uses irrelevant and often arbitrary physical factors such as heartbeat, the ability to feel pain, “viability,” the ability to smile, the presence of certain detectable brain activity, and various “human” behaviors like kicking. This argument is simply not defensible.
I assume this relates with the personhood element as well, so, under your definition of personhood, why are these factors irrelevant and arbitrary?

I also had some objections with your interpretations of the author's words in that article. He obviously uses some broad generalizations, and there may indeed be an overarching intent of sexism, but a few of your interpretations seem far fetched, such as this--

I think abortion is a horrible procedure.

Effective Meaning: “I agree with the conservative claim that abortion is a horrible procedure. By extension, I think it is a tragedy when females resort to controlling their own bodies, even when they do have cause.”
Which I could also see as "I think abortion is a horrible procedure [because it kills an unborn child]."
and this--

Abortion isn’t a recreational activity or a hobby. I don’t think there’s a single woman on earth who would ever say to a lover, “You know what? Knock me up. I haven’t had a good abortion in at least six months.”

Effective Meaning: “I presume to judge that there are numerous instances where abortion would be unacceptable, and would attempt to discredit anyone who might defend it in those instances. More to the point, I reject the claim that females have the right to assert control over their bodies in the absence of what I consider to be an adequate reason.
which must include some point I'm missing here, because I cannot fathom how you made this interpretation from those words.

So, there's my two cents.

EDIT: Feel free to have this moved to the Abortion thread, as it falls into the list Thought just added.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:36:02 pm by Kodokami »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 08, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
you're a pathetic hypocrite.

And what have you done lately for the cause of social justice? I've actually volunteered for an abortion assistance fund. I've got the "blood" of unborn children on my hands! Hahahaha. And I also have the salvation of several mothers who a) most of which already had children, b) were in dire financial straits that would have been broken completely by another child, and c) some of which had medical problems or were too young to have a safe childbirth.

I suppose we should have rather seen those mothers become seriously ill or have their entire families plunged into total economic poverty? Good thing killing a few non-sentient, unconscious cells avoided these scenarios.

Now if we were talking about a man standing in the middle of Times Square holding up a sign or speaking through a megaphone, saying something like "All women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant," I'd say no, that's protected speech.

The free speech issue can be governed by science. Many people love to hate on transpeople and make jokes about "she's really a man", etc., when proven science has demonstrated different brain and body gender. The science has been proven, which makes the "really a man" position not any kind of speech or tenable position of argument -- it all becomes hate speech at that point. The same goes for telling women to be in the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant. Equality is self-evident without even needing the trivial idea that science has demonstrated men and women are both "human". There is nothing in that speech that needs protection. It's nothing but hatred, harassment, and assault. Destroy it with impunity.

Which I could also see as "I think abortion is a horrible procedure [because it kills an unborn child]."

But why is it horrible to kill an unborn child? The "child" part of it is a romantic metaphor for potential, because there is nothing human in a fetus. It's a biological template, and a collection of cells that might turn out to be a person. There is no awareness, sentience, consciousness, or knowledge; there isn't even the small sentience that animals have. There is nothing, like a tree or a plant; just cells dividing, with no mind. Conservatives love to point out how the "heart is beating!!!", but we can take recently deceased people and make their hearts beat, too. We can make artificial hearts beat and stick them inside of a toolshed. "YOu can't demolish it!! The heart's beating!"

What makes us quintessentially human is our minds; our sentience; our consciousness. There is none of that in a fetus. There's barely any of it in a baby, but at that point, they are no longer dependent on the mother or a potential threat to her health or well-being, and are now afforded the full rights of a citizen. More importantly, they're awake. They're a child, not a mass of cells.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 08, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
You are, unfortunately, in error: your end result is oppressive to women and your means are straight from a Christian Fundamentalist's playbook.

A provocative teaser! Very well, then. Take your time and make your reply. But you have made such charges before, only to fall short. I shall only accept the perfect proof!

~~~ ~~~ ~~~
you're a pathetic hypocrite.

And what have you done lately for the cause of social justice?

That's quite a worthy question for a thread like this one. For someone with sexist views like tushantin, who revels in his ignorance and even has the audacity to charge sexism of people who are working toward sexual equality, I think it is appropriate to criticize his own apparent lack of support for sexual equality. It isn't required of course that one be an activist toward the furtherance of sexual equality in order to be a Compendiumite of good standing, but, given his problems here, I think we should ask that tushantin give us an explanation of what he has done in his own life to pursue sexual equality, or any other form of social justice for that matter. I, for one, expect we are dealing with a fraud.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Responses to Kodokami and Truthordeal forthcoming.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1061 on: November 08, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »
@Josh: Apparently you really like a "pissing match" like a nut-job who's too drunk at a bar, and for some reason or the other your either afraid of something or have some kind of an imaginary grudge against me. Simply because you've lost the battle you decide to act like a troll instead. I can take on and prove your hypocrisy time and again, but frankly a guy like you who constantly screams "Blasphemy" like a Fundamentalist is ill-consequential until you get your act together. For now, I can only advise you to refrain from confronting me like a paranoid maniac to spare both your precious time and mine, at least until you're in a right mindset.

@Everyone else: I was also hoping that I'd simply write fragments on Evernote to reserve my response for later, one that I owe both FaustWolf and Truthordeal, but apparently, Josh's childish foolhardy knows no bounds. The next part of my post regarding progressive change will appear tomorrow for that sake.

@ZeaLitY: Breaks my heart, Z. I really didn't expect that from you, especially from someone who I looked up to. Especially from someone who initially inspired me when I registered into the forums. Very well, then, here we go with this charade.

Ah, let's see. I saved a girl from a potential rapist and psychopath, and for a short time became her guardian. I anonymously wrote articles about corrupt occupations that destroy civil liberty, putting myself at danger of retribution (@FaustWolf: Remember a similar instance from a manuscript I gave you? Yes, that happened; the guy's been stripped of his badge). I wrote and published cartoon satires in selective magazines to help in children's moral education in some schools for free. I opposed sexism at an office at the risk of losing an almost qualified job and career head-start, even though that sexism would have diminished on its own due to Feminism strength at a capital level (did I mention I didn't get the potentially high-paying job?). I, along with several other poets, helped stop unnecessary wars between castes and helped promote love. I helped encourage people to stand against domestic abuse, proving that public unity gathers strength. I also helped in petitioning in raising awareness and standing courageously against dowry.

To be honest, I'm incredibly lucky to not be a target of corrupt cops or non-conformers seeking vengeance, and I certainly hope to keep a low profile so as to not endanger my family with my activism. On that note, I also intend on taking this activism beyond in media range, and especially literacy for those who don't have Agency. Anything else, Your Highness?

I've actually volunteered for an abortion assistance fund.
That's a good thing indeed, and I applaud you on your job well done. However...

But why is it horrible to kill an unborn child? The "child" part of it is a romantic metaphor for potential, because there is nothing human in a fetus. It's a biological template, and a collection of cells that might turn out to be a person. There is no awareness, sentience, consciousness, or knowledge; there isn't even the small sentience that animals have. There is nothing, like a tree or a plant; just cells dividing, with no mind. Conservatives love to point out how the "heart is beating!!!", but we can take recently deceased people and make their hearts beat, too. We can make artificial hearts beat and stick them inside of a toolshed. "YOu can't demolish it!! The heart's beating!"
Yeah. Tell that to the millions of parents who go undergo sex-selective abortions. They'd be incredibly happy to hear what you just said.

Quote from: Article
Make no mistake. China’s One Child Policy is enforced through forced abortion, forced sterilization and infanticide. Women are dragged out of their homes, strapped to tables, and forced to abort babies they want, up to the ninth month of pregnancy. Women sometimes die during these violent procedures. The One Child Policy is China’s war on women. Adopting it world wide would hurl women’s rights back to the dark ages.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:28:56 pm by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:34 pm »
But you have made such charges before, only to fall short.

You are mistaking "you not admitting your wrong" with "me falling short." :P

But again to emphasize, I am still debating with myself as to if it is worthwhile. I'll keep you posted, certainly.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »
Thank you for your time, J.

You are welcome.

The reason I harped on the death penalty portion is because it was the most bewildering. Being a rabid free-speech advocate, I've come across the concept of hate speech laws and I understand that. I get why people would want to criminalize certain types of speech. Heck, I slip into that mindset every now and then because its easy to want to punish particularly disgusting figures.

I know I’ve said it already, but it’s worth repeating that I am extremely wary of limitations on speech. I am opposed to them on principle, and I only make exceptions when I think the reasons are sterling.

The great political ideal of a conscientious philosopher is to resolve injustices without creating new ones. It’s easy to look at the crime of hate speech and say, well, let’s ban that. The problem is that it introduces a new injustice by curtailing the freedom of speech. The crime is very severe and the costs of the obvious solution are very severe. There are only three answers to that: Find another solution, accept with the current solution, or use pinpoint-accuracy to tailor the current solution from a general one into a highly specific one. Which of these is best depends on the circumstances.

I honestly can’t think of another effective short-term solution. In the long term we can fight this with education, but while people are suffering now we need to do something about it now—and, indeed, our educational efforts can’t proceed until we began to clear the way for people to change their minds about some of the incredibly horrible sexist attitudes they hold.

That leaves a choice between the general ban on sexist hate speech and a highly specific one. The lawyers would have useful information to contribute; I’d be prepared to entertain either possibility. But my own ethics say to go with the general ban. Sexist hate speech is very destructive, and it occurs in so many forms and through so many media that I don’t know how a specific solution would work without being a laboriously extensive enumeration of the blanket provisions of the general solution.

Zeality's fond of telling people to die or go to hell, but you tend to be very reserved about that sort of thing. This, along with the fact that you don't approve of capital punishment in general, shocked me.

For clarity, I actually do approve of capital punishment in general. Passionately, in fact. What perhaps differs, and have you the contrary impression of me, is that I am very discriminating in where I think the capital punishment is appropriate to apply.

People, for the most part, should not be killed. Even if they’re losers, wretches, fools, mooks...even Republicans! Seriously. Killing people is something we should all try and avoid.

When I go and read the comments on news websites (and elsewhere!) people are so quick to call for death. And they’re not half-joking about it like ZeaLitY is. Some are thumping their chests. Others are just venting their fury.

I should note that many of the people whom others call for to be killed are the very same victims of sexist hate speech we have been talking about.

In short, it’s not uncommon for people to call for death. Many will do so quite readily. One of my measures of whether to respect a person is a judgment that I make as to how that person would behave in a mob situation with no accountability. Because, in those situations, the vast majority of the human population becomes killers. Indeed, this is a big part of why I almost never respect people who are not intelligent and strong-willed, because only intelligence and a strong will, or else an abiding sense of decency (which is really just a facet of intelligence), can stop a person from becoming a killer in circumstances like that.

So, yes. I do tend to be very reserved about calling for the death penalty. And all the more so because I usually would insist on a fair trial first. People like Glenn Beck, who, in the pursuit of money, have destabilized the nation and given cover to the plundering actions of robber-barons and vinegar to the paranoia of religious extremists, ought to be put on trial for sedition.

Sedition brings about an interesting aside: Sedition laws are another form of constraint on free speech, and this nation has used them liberally in the past. Even though I support a new sedition law (as none of the previous ones have been done correctly), it too is a rare instance of an exception to my overwhelming support for free speech.

But I wouldn’t want to see Beck put to death on my charges. I’d want to see a court of law do it.

Anyhow...yes. As a philosopher who tackles the entire spectrum of human existence, I don’t mind dealing with difficult subjects, and I have learned quite easily that capital punishment is a penalty which must be reserved only for what narrow instances in which it is appropriate. Indeed, I only recommend the death penalty for a very narrow subset of the offenders who make this completely odious hate speech which I utterly detest.

That's what's called verbal assault, and its punishment is everything you mentioned. This should also be the case on the Internet. But it isn't, due to that veil of anonymity. I think if you got rid of that(or at least the legal protections thereof), or invented a device that allows you to punch people over the Internet, this problem would die down on its own.

You’re right, and there’s a whole other topic of discussion in that. Perhaps we can return to it in another thread.

The capital punishment thing makes sense as well; the people you've described would probably be "bad" enough on their own to commit capital offenses anyway.

One important detail: Many people who have not yet committed what is already counted as a capital offense nevertheless have the mentality to do so. One of the challenges facing a better justice system is to reach these people before they can destroy lives (including their own!).

If I supported capital punishment at all, I might agree with you. But I don't, and I think there are better ways to get to your desired end. Maybe FW's shock collars. If it works for dogs, it could work for beasts of that nature.

I didn’t know he had proposed that.

I find most severe forms of punishment to be akin to torture, which is indefensible, or else the result of an indefensible act of vengeance built into the system. Life in prison without parole is cruel, at least for humans. Shock collars are cruel, at least for humans. The death penalty has no cruelty to it, if the death is swiftly administered. There is no vengeance, either—at least not at the institutional level. A dead person is gone. They cannot endure further suffering. So I turn your viewpoint upside down. The death penalty is a more humane form of high punishment.

Now if we were talking about a man standing in the middle of Times Square holding up a sign or speaking through a megaphone, saying something like "All women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant," I'd say no, that's protected speech.

Yes, we have that now. I probably wouldn’t support banning that. For one thing, it might require another constitutional amendment. For another, marches and protests are a way for people to voice their frustrations. They are not crimes against specific people.

I cannot justify imprisoning them and not someone like you who says things that would disgust most "normal" people.

Ah, yes, but normal people are broadly unfounded in their views whereas I am well-reasoned and justice cares about that sort of thing. =)

And to cut off speech like that is tyrannical, and tyranny is bad. I realize who I'm up against, and that I'd have better luck swimming the English channel with a lead weight. I'd take the challenge, but unfortunately I don't have the time or energy to obstinantly argue like I used to. I'll have to save that for a future contention. So for the time being, you can call me a mook and a useful idiot and we can part on that.

I tentatively agreed with you before (re)reading this paragraph. =)

Mook! Ne’er-do-well! Ninnyhammer!

There. All’s right with the world.

Quote from: FaustWolf
for J to say that he supports the death penalty for a recidivist hater is a pretty clear statement that sexual equality is his #1 issue, or shares that rank with anything else he'd apply the death penalty to. Which is perfectly consistent with his philosophy as much as he's shared it so far.

This begs the question: for those of us who don't support the death penalty under the circumstances J has outlined, what does it say about us and our own priorities?

This should come as a surprise to no one, but sexual equality is not my number one priority. Education is, and there's no room for capital punishment in education. Unless the kid just gets really really annoying.

Education is probably my top priority too. I think we differ in the scope of its application.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 08, 2011, 05:46:35 pm »
@Josh: Apparently you really like a "pissing match" like a nut-job who's too drunk at a bar, and for some reason or the other your either afraid of something or have some kind of an imaginary grudge against me. Simply because you've lost the battle you decide to act like a troll instead. I can take on and prove your hypocrisy time and again, but frankly a guy like you who constantly screams "Blasphemy" like a Fundamentalist is ill-consequential until you get your act together. For now, I can only advise you to refrain from confronting me like a paranoid maniac to spare both your precious time and mine, at least until you're in a right mindset.

Apparently parodical mimicry is your only trick. But this one was so far over the top you made me laugh! If a jester is what you want to be, then I think you need to be even more outrageous. Come on...you equated ZeaLitY with mass murderer. What do I get?

Ah, let's see. I saved a girl from a potential rapist and psychopath, and for a short time became her guardian. I anonymously wrote articles about corrupt occupations that destroy civil liberty, putting myself at danger of retribution (@FaustWolf: Remember a similar instance from a manuscript I gave you? Yes, that happened; the guy's been stripped of his badge). I wrote and published cartoon satires in selective magazines to help in children's moral education in some schools for free. I opposed sexism at an office at the risk of losing an almost qualified job and career head-start, even though that sexism would have diminished on its own due to Feminism strength at a capital level (did I mention I didn't get the potentially high-paying job?). I, along with several other poets, helped stop unnecessary wars between castes and helped promote love. I helped encourage people to stand against domestic abuse, proving that public unity gathers strength. I also helped in petitioning in raising awareness and standing courageously against dowry.

To be honest, I'm incredibly lucky to not be a target of corrupt cops or non-conformers seeking vengeance, and I certainly hope to keep a low profile so as to not endanger my family with my activism. On that note, I also intend on taking this activism beyond in media range, and especially literacy for those who don't have Agency. Anything else, Your Highness?

If you've done all that, and if you're not embellishing or misrepresenting it, then that's really quite laudable! I just don't understand why that positive picture you've painted doesn't jive with the way you conduct yourself here.