Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 102831 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #1035 on: November 06, 2011, 09:08:21 pm »
"A Woman's Opinion Is the Miniskirt of the Internet"

I can attest to the severity and ubiquity of this problem of misogyny. I encounter it on most news and political websites. My only response is that we will have to criminalize this behavior to curtail it, as the large cultural growth needed to solve the problem organically cannot presently proceed without structural support.

I would be prepared to go so far as to support a federal constitutional amendment defining a new limit on free speech, together with a significant legal deterrent of fines, loss of status, and if necessary even jail time, along with a robust rehabilitative effort. For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful. It may not seem so, but I don't support the death penalty for much. This is one.

Among many other side effects of this misogyny, is a significant conversion rate of white females to Islam. Poor fools, driven to madness by a society that offers them nothing better than the lunacy of modern Earth's most dangerous religion.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1036 on: November 07, 2011, 05:02:51 am »
Yes, that is a problem. But Josh, criminalizing the behavior is hardly progress -- they did it in my neck of the woods several years back, mostly culturally, and it wasn't pretty. It only tilts the balance in the favor of females, especially those who intend to use it for selfish causes than social equality. If we're striving for equality then "criminalizing" misogyny would only promote abuse of the legal system. No, there has to be a better way.

Before you accuse me outright, as with your attitude towards anyone who disagrees with you, allow me to point that I'm against misogyny as much as you. I have the same goals. Finding the "right" method is what matters.

P.S.: British "Muslim" women. o_o" Never thought I'd see that day.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:06:06 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 07, 2011, 06:15:03 am »
Yes, that is a problem. But Josh, criminalizing the behavior is hardly progress -- they did it in my neck of the woods several years back, mostly culturally, and it wasn't pretty. It only tilts the balance in the favor of females, especially those who intend to use it for selfish causes than social equality.

You either aren't aware or don't care that some of the things you say are way, way outside the realm of what is acceptable.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1038 on: November 07, 2011, 06:17:54 am »
Yes, that is a problem. But Josh, criminalizing the behavior is hardly progress -- they did it in my neck of the woods several years back, mostly culturally, and it wasn't pretty. It only tilts the balance in the favor of females, especially those who intend to use it for selfish causes than social equality.

You either aren't aware or don't care that some of the things you say are way, way outside the realm of what is acceptable.
You are either unaware or simply don't care of either the consequences of what you propose or the intentions behind those who disagree with you. About disagreeing with you, read the second passage of my previous post.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 07, 2011, 06:25:17 am »
Every time you show up, it's either to kiss up to someone or to inadvertently make a fool out of yourself with preposterous assertions of whose ramifications you have no grasp. You may claim to be against sexism, but with your level of ignorance you are no more against it than a proton could be, because you honestly have no clue.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1040 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:45 am »
Every time you show up, it's either to kiss up to someone or to inadvertently make a fool out of yourself with preposterous assertions of whose ramifications you have no grasp. You may claim to be against sexism, but with your level of ignorance you are no more against it than a proton could be, because you honestly have no clue.
And everytime you respond it's out of sheer frustration, intolerance, or simply ignorance and immature behavior towards those who simply want to have a good, intelligent conversation.

Want an example of your immaturity? That "criminalizing misogyny" you talked about, yeah out of noble intentions, but they have a term for that. It's called "Knee-Jerk Law" theory. It's when you see something wrong happening and scream "We need to have a law against that" like a child, without fully understanding the consequences of either your statement or if such a proposal is even acted upon without careful consideration. Chill, Josh, you're letting your emotions run wild, because in this case it's you who's making a fool of yourself.

Also, pardon me for responding to you respectfully in my previous posts. I've forgotten that I don't respect you at all.

And by the way, what do you mean by "kiss up to someone"? Are you telling me that people don't deserve praises for their deeds or words? You may not be worthy of such praise, but that doesn't mean no one else is.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:55:29 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:14 am »
Do you really think that I don't know what I am talking about on this particular issue? I mean, even if I can assume you do think you know what you are talking about...do you actually possess what it takes to think that I have no ground to stand on?

Honest question.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:18 am »
Putting aside tushantin, I just read a (year-old) essay about the sexism problem with the story of Metroid: Other M.

I haven't played Other M, so this essay was a very disappointing read. It's a good essay, though, and important to read. Most people aren't nearly aware of abusive relationship dynamics as they ought to be.

The essay's one flaw is that there's a point where the author writes "Sexist is a loaded word, and one used inappropriately far too often," which I expect is a bet-hedge written by an author concerned with charges of being "too feminist" or some such baloney. As a friend defiantly noted, "sexist" is a word that is inappropriately not used nearly as often as it should be.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1043 on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:45 am »
Do you really think that I don't know what I am talking about on this particular issue? I mean, even if I can assume you do think you know what you are talking about...do you actually possess what it takes to think that I have no ground to stand on?

Honest question.
A lot of people ask "Honest Questions", Josh, but are almost never prepared for a truthful answer. So here's my honest question to you: Can you handle it?

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1044 on: November 07, 2011, 04:36:30 pm »
J, if I could steal your attention from tushantin for a bit, I want to challenge you on something.

Quote from: Lord J
For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful. It may not seem so, but I don't support the death penalty for much. This is one.

I can't tell if you're indulging in Zealitarian hyperbole here, but if not, how do you advocate putting people to death for holding an opinion as opposed to people who murder, rape, or violently assault others? How do you say that the latter, with all of the consequences thereof, don't deserve this punishment but that the former does? Can you really say that being a sexist is worse than being a violent criminal? And if so, how on earth do you justify that?

To avoid being a "concern troll," I'll be blunt with my intentions: Not only do I disagree with what you've said, I think it's so reckless and out-of-this-world that you've either lost your damn mind or you've got some really good explanation for it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »
http://xal.li/eri/?p=697

What an ugly post. It completely misses the point of why abortion should be fully legal and accessible.

Josh, in reading that article, your own post seems to be utterly indefensible. While the author doesn't directly discuss why abortion should be fully legal and accessible, that is not the topic of the article. It is notable that despite not addressing it directly, the author still clearly understands those reasons and supports them. This can be gathered from the rest of his sentence, which you took out of context, and the rest of the article: that the author would eliminate abortion by eliminating the need for abortions, not the procedure itself.

This is, in short, an argument for preventative care.

The author is urging anti-abortion groups to spend their time and efforts promoting contraceptive use and research, combating rape and other sex crimes, and in being caring and supportive rather than judgmental and hateful. In general, the author is urging those who oppose abortion to do their damnedest to make our world on in which no woman gets an abortion for the simple reason that no woman would ever get pregnant without wanting to be pregnant, that no woman woman who wanted to be pregnant would ever find herself lacking family and social support, and that no pregnancy would have complications that would commend the procedure.

From the article, there seems to be nothing particularly different between the author's stance and, say, someone saying that they would get rid of heart surgery by eliminating the causes of heart disease.

Please, do explain your disagreement with the article. As it is, it seems that you are holding that even if society could be changed so that no woman was ever raped, you would oppose that change just so that abortions could still be performed. From what I know of your character, however, it is unimaginable that you would hold such a position. Thus, again my request: please do explain.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
J, if I could steal your attention from tushantin for a bit, I want to challenge you on something.

Quote from: Lord J
For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful. It may not seem so, but I don't support the death penalty for much. This is one.

I can't tell if you're indulging in Zealitarian hyperbole here, but if not, how do you advocate putting people to death for holding an opinion as opposed to people who murder, rape, or violently assault others? How do you say that the latter, with all of the consequences thereof, don't deserve this punishment but that the former does? Can you really say that being a sexist is worse than being a violent criminal? And if so, how on earth do you justify that?

To understand any support for the death penalty, you need to understand the road that travels there. I assume you read the "A Woman’s Opinion Is the Miniskirt of the Internet", but if not then go back and read it now. What the columnist is writing about is a pervasive culture on the Internet where female contributors to the public dialogue are routinely insulted, professionally and personally, and threatened with just about everything you can think of, including rape and death.

The reality of this harassment is not something I intend to debate. Everyone who spends time on the Internet reading the words of other members of the public knows that this problem exists. They may not all think of it as a “problem,” or realize it is pervasive, but you have to at least acknowledge that this is a real problem and not something made up by, say, feminists or liberals. If you don’t acknowledge that, then we are at the end of the discussion.

The consequences of this harassment are fourfold. First, it stifles female cultural participation essentially everywhere it is allowed to continue. Second, it reinforces a very ugly sexist dynamic between males and females, with males affirmed in writing horrible things to females, and females resigned to accept it for lack of support to do otherwise. Third, it contributes to a culture of actual physical harassment, abuse, and worse. Fourth, it deprives females of power by inclining large segments of both sexes to dismiss female power (or, more properly, power held by females) as illegitimate.

You probably don’t understand, given your background, the extent of loss and waste created by a sexist climate. But you only need to reflect upon the pages of this very Fuck Sexism thread to have a taste of it. Or you need only stop and appreciate that (in all probability) females are seriously underrepresented on your favorite parts of the Internet. I don’t say that you “probably don’t understand” to demean you, but to describe you. Most people honestly don’t understand this, or are only vaguely aware of it. You come from a conservative Christian background which is at the heart of promoting such ignorance, and it will take you a generous period of dedicated effort to appreciate it for yourself.

On the Compendium, we don’t tolerate sexism. Far from having to ban people, the problem doesn’t come up very often—or, perhaps more accurately, sexism is not an accepted facet of our community. I think we owe this not to some upstanding quality in the character of all Chrono series fans, but to our community intolerance. I think the people who would otherwise write sexist comments see that the culture here doesn’t permit it, and keep their mouths shut. Most of those probably lose interest and leave the site. We are somewhat unusual here because of our anti-sexist policy and, more importantly, our community enforcement of it. These days a number of Compendiumtes contribute to that shield of egalitarianism, but I remember when it was just me, and I suppose my most important legacy to this website is that I am the main personality behind it. Females are underrepresented on the Compendium, but those who come are not going to be pushed away by a climate of comments telling them that their only value here is to be a sex object or GTFO.

When it comes to sites like this, most have a sexist atmosphere except for those which are led by females and/or feminists, or those which have a small, close-knit community consisting of prominent females and/or feminists. What if you were a female and your experiences on a website consisted of a steady stream of denigration? What desire would you have, and what hope, that your thoughts should come to reside in the minds of others by participating in conversation and making points therein? Your participation in the community may well be irrelevant, because you would have been judged worthless. Don’t say that it doesn’t happen, or that I am exaggerating it. It happens every single day, all over.

Shutting people out of society, or making them suffer if they want to participate, and dismissing the value of their participation if they go ahead with it, all on account of something as irrelevant as sex, is a serious crime. It’s not a crime under the law, yet, but it is one of the grosser ethical failures of any society which permits or embraces it. It is an ethical failure in two ways. First, it is a logical fallacy to treat people differently on the basis of a trait that doesn’t pertain to the effects of the different treatment. (Example: “The student who has the most freckles will fail the class!”) Second, the behaviors which follow from that fallacy are destructive. (Example: “A woman who speaks out on the Internet is asking to be raped.”)

Combine destruction with fallacy and what do you get? You get gross ethical failure.

If there is a clear and persistent injustice, as necessarily implied by any gross ethical failure, then we arrive at the point where I can propose controlling the injustice by criminalizing behavior. You latched right onto my support of the death penalty, but we’re not nearly there yet. Let me repeat what I wrote earlier:

Quote from: Lord J Esq
I would be prepared to go so far as to support a federal constitutional amendment defining a new limit on free speech, together with a significant legal deterrent of fines, loss of status, and if necessary even jail time, along with a robust rehabilitative effort. For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful.

I am fascinated that you latched onto the death penalty part, when for me the much more radical statement was that I would be prepared to support a federal constitutional amendment defining a new limit on free speech. That’s an extremely serious position, and a very difficult one for me because I consider free speech to be one of the essential ingredients in a free society. Killing people for crimes committed is a trivial argument to make compared to silencing people for the sake of the public welfare.

Where do females go on the Internet? Do you know the answer to that question? Females certainly use the Internet, notwithstanding the joke that the Internet doesn’t have any females. But if they’re not on the parts of the Internet you use yourself, then where are they?

They are in the places where they are not subjected to an endless barrage of hate and abuse.

This is important. It means that, when the culture of misogynistic sexism is not permitted, more females will participate. That’s simple logic. People are likelier to go where they are welcome. This gives us a target to focus on. Here’s the imperative which follows: Websites need to discourage a sexist climate.

Some websites do it voluntarily. Hurrah for the invisible hand of the free market! On other websites, the matter doesn’t really come up one way or another, so that’s a wash. But as to those which maintain a sexist climate and seem to approve of it, what do we do?

Well, recall that I had spoken earlier about things like comments on news websites. Oftentimes, the website is a junction between a business and its user base. The Los Angeles Times is not a paragon of misogyny, but many of the public comments by people who visit its website are exceedingly sexist, plain and simple. The LA Times has made the choice to accommodate a wider range of voices at the expense of fostering a healthy conversational climate.

I point this out to illustrate the following: If we were to, say, ban sexist comments as hate speech (which is not what I am proposing), the LA Times would not be particularly hurt. They might lose some voices, but they would foster a richer conversational atmosphere, in which a persistent and vibrant community would very likely coalesce.

And that’s how it would be for most of the affected parties of such a law. Most would lose nothing, except for the right to say things that they probably wouldn’t have personally said anyway. The people who stand to lose the most from a ban on sexist comments are the ones who have the most stake in promulgating those comments. The provocateurs and lovers of sexism. This is important because any ban on speech must be highly targeted and specific. Indiscriminate blanket bans are extremely dangerous.

What I actually do propose is that we begin with hate crimes law. As defined by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (I can’t vouch that that is a permalink):

hate crime means a crime in which the defendant intentionally selects a victim, or in the case of a property crime, the property that is the object of the crime, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, or sexual orientation of any person.”

As you can see, it already includes a provision for sex—or “gender” as they put it, which is incorrect. Anyhow, I can’t help but observe, with a touch of bitterness, that this law was passed under the Democratic Congress and signed by President Clinton, way back in 1994. Later that year the Democrats were crushed in the elections, and the Republicans subsequently ruled Congress until 2007. From them, we didn’t get good legislation like healthcare reform or hate crimes laws. We got shit about outlawing abortion and paying tax dollars for Jesus parents to send their kids to Jesus schools. But I digress...

Clearly, this provision of the law is not enforced. Hate crimes prosecutions don’t occur very often because the burden of proof is so high (“beyond a reasonable doubt”), the existing law itself is unclear, and society just doesn’t seem to have much interest in cutting sexism. All the law really serves to do is define what a hate crime is, and specify that conviction of a hate crime will incur a higher penalty.

I consider it uncontroversial that the “gross ethical failure” I am talking about here, where sexist comments damage female participation on the Internet, etc., qualifies as a hate crimes matter. What we need, then, is a new law that both criminalizes offending sexist language and classifies it as hate crime. This is one of those times when the  government will have to lead the public, and get ahead of public opinion with far-reaching progressive legislation. I don’t know whether it would be better to amend the existing law or start all over. Either way, what I support is a legal provision that reads something like this:

[[Language or Imagery]] << on >> [[Digital Media, especially Websites]] << that >> ((Targets)) [[Real Persons]] << with >> [[Abuse, Threats, or Harassment]] << on the basis of >> [[Sex]] ((Is)) {{Hate Crime}}.

Forgive my fanciful formatting. I’m not a lawyer and obviously can’t vouch that my prosaic phrasing would reflect my intention, so I created a very simple and obvious description of what I mean:

Language or imagery on digital media, especially websites, that targets real persons with abuse, threats, or harassment on the basis of sex is a hate crime.

The only reason I talked about a federal constitutional amendment is that the law I propose may be unconstitutional because of the First Amendment protection on speech. In that case, it would take another constitutional amendment to specify that hate speech is not protected. That’s the only reason I would be interested in amending the Constitution in this case. (Separately, but relatedly, I support the Equal Rights Amendment.)

It would be important for any law to distinguish between the discussion of sexist comments, the opposition thereto, the fictional depiction thereof, and the actual criminal behavior of victimizing people. We must avoid or at least minimize the creation of any unintended hardships upon anyone.

Anyhow, the takeaway is that I support outlawing some forms of hate speech.

Now, the penalty. Let me repeat myself again:

I would be prepared to go so far as to support a federal constitutional amendment defining a new limit on free speech, together with a significant legal deterrent of fines, loss of status, and if necessary even jail time, along with a robust rehabilitative effort. For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful.

I spoke of a “significant legal deterrent of fines, loss of status, and if necessary even jail time, along with a robust rehabilitative effort.” That’s what I envision the primary penalty set should entail.

It may also be appropriate to pass a law penalizing website operators for failing to curtail sexist activity. That would relieve some of the compliance workload, and, as a side benefit, it would encourage website operators to refuse to ignore the issue and actively make a choice to support sexual equality.

Most sexist comments are borne of ignorance rather than malice. Those should typically be met with the suspension of posting privileges by the website operators or their agents. In the case of particularly serious comments, the victim(s) would be free to choose to press charges against the person who posted them.

This raises the question of whether it would be necessary to implement a better infrastructure for law enforcement to identify anonymous or pseudonymous individuals. Most people aren’t as anonymous online as they would like to think, and would be identified relatively easily. In other situations, the right to privacy will conflict with the right to sexual equality, and we may need a law to draw the line.

Once identified and charged, guilty defendants would typically be fined (if it would not impose an undue hardship) a restitution to the victim, through wage garnishment if necessary, as well as sentenced to counseling (at their own expense if feasible) and community service, and threatened with jail time for a repeat offense. Innocent defendants would have their cases dismissed or be acquitted.

Repeat offenders would be jailed, sent in for counseling, and made to pay a more serious restitution. I am wary of jail time, particularly for something like this (as jail culture is incredibly sexist), but people take jail seriously and there might be some merit to that.

Because the law as I envision it would not single out male-against-female acts of sexism, everyone would have to start being more mindful of discriminating against everyone else on the basis of sex. This would, on the one hand, be relatively easy. Most people who make sexist comments are aware of what they are doing, as evidenced by the prevalence of sentiments like “I know this isn’t politically correct, but....” On the other hand, it would force a lot of social evolution. Misandrists in the feminist movement, for instance, would have to retool their approach to social justice. Elsewhere on the Internet, entire websites would suddenly become illegal as people like Pat Robertson would find themselves operating outside the law on a near-daily basis. All in all, I think these changes and hardships would be for the better.

Now, at last, we get to the issue which struck you dumb, being my support of the death penalty in limited circumstances.

For the nucleus of people who don't just do this to harass, but really mean it, I support capital punishment as the next step if rehabilitative efforts prove unsuccessful.

In case you simply misunderstood me, I am not suggesting that I support the death penalty as the endgame punishment for all sexist hate speech on the Internet, but instead for a smaller group of people whose hate speech is matched with a genuinely sick personality. These are the people who are physically dangerous, who have committed sexual abuse already or are likely to do so when presented with the opportunity; and the people who research the private information of their victims with the intention of causing bodily or property harm; and the people who are mentally ill and incapable of exercising the judgment to constrain their hateful attitudes; and the people who so virulently detest or demean people of one sex (it’s usually males hating females, but other combinations apply) that their hatred or condescension clouds their judgment even if they remain otherwise rational.

People like that are sick. They are a tragedy; their lives are often a partial or total waste. But, more importantly, they are an existential danger to society. Jail is not the appropriate place for them. A mental hospital, or a psychologist’s office is where they belong.

If curing or controlling their sickness is impossible, then they need to be killed.

I won’t walk away from that, or weaken it with qualifiers, or say it out of the corner of my mouth while looking down at the floor. People like that, if they cannot be helped, are too dangerous to be allowed to live. I have read too many stories, and met too many people, who have been the victims of such monsters, to permit myself the indulgent luxury of thinking that a more peaceful solution would be effective or just.

To avoid being a "concern troll," I'll be blunt with my intentions: Not only do I disagree with what you've said, I think it's so reckless and out-of-this-world that you've either lost your damn mind or you've got some really good explanation for it.

There you have it.

I am sad to say it, but there are only three kinds of reaction to my comment in favor of criminalizing sexism. There are the philosophers, who agree because their principles line up with it. There are the females and their friends and allies, who agree on account of having suffered the effect of sexism personally, or have witnessed it affect people close to them. And there are the people who disagree and call me a crazy or a radical. That is the nature of fighting an entrenched prejudice. Most people who aren't specifically aware of the evil, don't perceive it at all. People tend not to pay much attention to the air we breathe. It's everywhere, but it's invisible, and, precisely because we breathe it so continuously, we just don't think about it. So it is with sexism.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »
http://xal.li/eri/?p=697

What an ugly post. It completely misses the point of why abortion should be fully legal and accessible.

Josh, in reading that article, your own post seems to be utterly indefensible. While the author doesn't directly discuss why abortion should be fully legal and accessible, that is not the topic of the article. It is notable that despite not addressing it directly, the author still clearly understands those reasons and supports them. This can be gathered from the rest of his sentence, which you took out of context, and the rest of the article: that the author would eliminate abortion by eliminating the need for abortions, not the procedure itself.

This is, in short, an argument for preventative care.

The author is urging anti-abortion groups to spend their time and efforts promoting contraceptive use and research, combating rape and other sex crimes, and in being caring and supportive rather than judgmental and hateful. In general, the author is urging those who oppose abortion to do their damnedest to make our world on in which no woman gets an abortion for the simple reason that no woman would ever get pregnant without wanting to be pregnant, that no woman woman who wanted to be pregnant would ever find herself lacking family and social support, and that no pregnancy would have complications that would commend the procedure.

From the article, there seems to be nothing particularly different between the author's stance and, say, someone saying that they would get rid of heart surgery by eliminating the causes of heart disease.

Please, do explain your disagreement with the article. As it is, it seems that you are holding that even if society could be changed so that no woman was ever raped, you would oppose that change just so that abortions could still be performed. From what I know of your character, however, it is unimaginable that you would hold such a position. Thus, again my request: please do explain.

You will have to considerably clarify your objections and concerns before I can offer a response. As it is, I find your remarks baffling.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »
You will have to considerably clarify your objections and concerns before I can offer a response. As it is, I find your remarks baffling.

Your bafflement is baffling, but I shall try to be as direct and blunt as possible. The author of the article essentially claimed that he wanted to eliminate unwanted pregnancies and only through those means would abortions be eliminated. You claimed that his article was ugly, that the author missed the point, and you general disparaged their position. Since a desire to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies is only commendable, you objection to the article appears to be bat-shit crazy.

I cannot imagine how you can object to statements like:

I’d abolish rape — and date-rape too.

I’d agitate for any publicly funded research to make contraception cheap and easy and 100% effective and available to anyone who isn’t ready to be a father or mother.

Contraception should be the kind of thing you can do for both genders...

I’d also like to dump money into research to minimize all of those preventable chemical and environmental and genetic factors that would cause debilitating birth defects and decrease the quality of life of any potential child.

I’d also advocate for a bit more fairness and latitude for women who would have to leave work for a chunk of time to deal with all the peculiarities of giving birth and supporting and caring for a new infant. Now that every household has to have two earners busting hump full-time in order to support any children at all, that kind of help has to be available.

If you really are as anti-abortion as you say you are, I heartily recommend you actively assist in the development of any and every alternative to abortion that could ever be possible. And then, after however long it takes for them to become available, you’ll see abortions dwindle down to nothing and fade away. Until then, you have no right to outlaw whatever procedure is necessary to prevent at least two lives from becoming a living hell.

Did you link to the wrong article? Were you only referencing the tone of the article and not its content? Did you not read the article in its entirety? It feels like I must either be going crazy, or you must.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:50:28 pm by Thought »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 07, 2011, 10:38:34 pm »
All right, I think I am beginning to understand where your objection is coming from. We are reading the same words but making two very different interpretations. Indulge me in the simple exercise of slicing and dicing the article into its two halves, the half I find objectionable and the half I do not.

Here is the objectionable half:

You know what? I’m not pro-abortion, and I don’t know anyone who is.

Abortion isn’t a recreational activity or a hobby. I don’t think there’s a single woman on earth who would ever say to a lover, “You know what? Knock me up. I haven’t had a good abortion in at least six months.”

I think abortion is a horrible procedure. So does everyone forced to resort to it. I’d love to make elective abortions — not done for the sake of preserving the health of the mother — a thing of the past. So would everyone.

I’d get rid of the bulk of abortions, if I could...

I’d also love to pour some money into research to find ways to make embryos and first-trimester fetuses harvestable so they can be implanted in the wombs of people who can’t have their own babies...

And then, after however long it takes for them to become available, you’ll see abortions dwindle down to nothing and fade away.

And here is the other half:

...sex education from an early age and do away with the unconscionable prudery that keeps sex from being a valid topic of discussion between parents and teachers and children. I’d abolish rape — and date-rape too. I’d agitate for any publicly funded research to make contraception cheap and easy and 100% effective and available to anyone who isn’t ready to be a father or mother. (While I’m at it, I’d advocate busting ass to eradicate STDs the way we finally ditched polio and small pox.) Contraception should be the kind of thing you can do, for both genders, in those times when people are thinking clearly and not forced to try to think of it in the heat of the moment.

Oh, and I’d sure as hell get rid of that domestic abuse thing where sometimes women are beaten for getting pregnant.

I would include in that set MEN who are so all-fired convinced no single potential human life should be wasted, so they could take one for the team and carry a fetus to term themselves.

I’d also advocate for a bit more fairness and latitude for women who would have to leave work for a chunk of time to deal with all the peculiarities of giving birth and supporting and caring for a new infant. Now that every household has to have two earners busting hump full-time in order to support any children at all, that kind of help has to be available.

I’d also like to dump money into research to minimize all of those preventable chemical and environmental and genetic factors that would cause debilitating birth defects and decrease the quality of life of any potential child.

We could have been working on all of that stuff for the past sixty or seventy years if people had really been interested in eradicating the bulk of abortions, and frankly I find it horrifically hypocritical that the pro-life (except for, you know, the death penalty and wars and stuff) contingent hasn’t been voting to fund and support EVERY POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE to elective abortion possible.

Anyway, after all of that, the need for elective abortions would be fairly frickin’ minimal.

BUT EVEN SO I’d prefer the option for elective abortion remain easily available to anyone who wants it just in case any of the rest of the available alternatives can’t be stretched to fit the bill. Life is complex and you can’t count on some charitable person or organization to step in and help if you need it BECAUSE YOU BASTARDS JUST AREN’T CHARITABLE ENOUGH YET TO RULE OUT THIS PARTICULAR OPTION. You’ll help a family member, if you can, if you have the resources — if you don’t disown them or beat them or emotionally abuse them instead. Maybe you’ll even help a close friend or a church member. But you really haven’t shown that you’ll step in and help a complete stranger, someone from a different culture or race, and your screwed-up priorities on science and research and medicine and education has actively DISCOURAGED the development of viable alternatives.

If you really are as anti-abortion as you say you are, I heartily recommend you actively assist in the development of any and every alternative to abortion that could ever be possible.

Until then, you have no right to outlaw whatever procedure is necessary to prevent at least two lives from becoming a living hell.

I find most of the article unobjectionable. Indeed, I outright agree with most of it. Your confusion stems from your mistaken perception that I object to any of the above statements in the half of the article to which in fact I do not object.

Now that we’ve cleared that up, let’s consider why I find the first half of the article to be so vehemently objectionable that I would not only disown the entire article, but also denounce those who invoke it as representative of their own position. Indeed, that article was first brought to my attention when someone in my Google+ circles posted that link and it showed up in my Google+ stream. I was furious. This person had already expressed a number of objectionable views, so my patience with him was thin. This was the last straw, a truly odious display of ignorance. I wrote a version of the comment that I ended up posting here (to which you objected today), cut him out of my circles, and told him I won’t keep company with people like that.

I...heh...I am ever hopeful that my actions should never require an ensuing explanation to the conscientious and learnéd, but I have learned to live with the disappointment. You are, if I may guess, quite still confused at why I would react so vehemently to this. Yes? Yes...

Here’s why.

Consider first the legal question of the strategy of asserting those positions. My approach to the assertion of abortion rights consists of the following two strategic elements:

1. The natural right to self-determination grants females the corollary right to an abortion at any point during pregnancy because of the risks and responsibilities—medical, economic, and social—of completing a pregnancy as well as of raising a child or submitting it for adoption. Partially this right is intrinsic, what orthodox philosophy calls “natural,” just like the right to self-determination. Partly this right is civil, however, as a special consequence of the considerable prejudice against females—a speciary legacy—which conspires to make pregnancy and motherhood much more dangerous, difficult, or deleterious for both her and the child, and potentially other people closely involved—but first and foremost the pregnant female herself.

2. Our physical nature provides that an unborn child does not possess personhood at any stage. Personhood, not “life” or “humanity,” is the relevant criterion at issue when it comes to asserting any special rights of the unborn. The absence of personhood is the absence of legal standing. One cannot murder a non-person, nor is the killing of a non-person inherently wrong like murder is.

These two strategic components in defense of abortion rights are independent and self-sufficient, meaning that either protection will allow for full abortion rights even if the other protection is not present.

Most members of the pro-choice faction, however, do not take either of these positions. Due to the overwhelming dominance by conservatives in framing the issue as a matter of the rights of the unborn, it has become popularly infeasible to support unrestricted legal abortion rights. Essentially, most people on both sides of the argument actually believe that abortion comes at the expense of an unborn person.

There are three popular pro-choice strategic arguments. Each of them is seriously or fatally flawed:

1. Abortion is a private medical decision to be limited to a pregnant female and her doctor. This strategy ignores the ethical implications of the question by asserting that the public at large has no standing to take a view. This is the only populist pro-choice view that permits full legal abortion. The privacy argument fails because the charge of anti-abortionists is murder, and the charge is superficially plausible enough that society must respond to it. What follows is the discovery that there is no actual murder occurring. This, the privacy argument is half-baked, and can be easily grown into a much stronger argument. I also tend to frown on the privacy argument when people assert it. For instance, the gay marriage movement has sometimes framed the issue as a private matter between consenting adults, something not for the state to interfere with. Yet that’s not true, and at best it precludes laws from banning gay marriage. Meanwhile, it transpires that the ethical argument in favor of state-sanctioned gay marriage is very strong, and soon there will be laws on the books all over the nation specifically guaranteeing people’s right to it—a much better place to be in.

2. The right to personhood by the unborn child sets in after conception but before the child is born. This strategy pragmatically attempts to serve everyone by asserting the right to an abortion for part of the pregnancy, but asserting personhood rights for the fetus for the remainder of the pregnancy. The logic behind it uses irrelevant and often arbitrary physical factors such as heartbeat, the ability to feel pain, “viability,” the ability to smile, the presence of certain detectable brain activity, and various “human” behaviors like kicking. This argument is simply not defensible.

3. Both the unborn child and the pregnant female have competing rights, and, where the female’s rights win out, abortion is legal, and, where they do not, it is not. This argument essentially concedes the conservative position that a fertilized egg is a fetus, and the subsequent wrangling becomes a question of the degree of prohibition: Abortion should be generally illegal, but with exceptions. All pro-choice people allow exceptions for the life of the mother (by definition). Most allow for cases of rape or incest. Some allow for the physical health of the mother. Fewer allow for economic hardship. Fewer still allow for the mother’s psychological health, including as may result from pregnancy at a very young age. And quite few indeed allow for family planning—even though this is the number one reason people get abortions. One problem with this argument is that it is highly vulnerable to erosion. I remember John McCain saying during one of the presidential debates that people used the “health” of the mother as a blanket excuse for abortions. Inevitably, the middle ground slips because the conservatives are so relentless. That is what has been happening ever since the Supreme Court rulings that established abortion rights federally. But an even more serious flaw with this argument is in the logic itself. It isn’t correct to concede the conservative argument. Except for the case of the life of the mother, there is logical basis to outlaw some abortions but not others, as the conservative viewpoint is that the fetus is competing for its very existence. Only the life of the mother could trump that, and even that is a logical ambiguity that people tend not to explore. (This is no coincidence. Much of our history shows that society favored the baby over the mother if one had to die. I suspect that if abortion were otherwise fully outlawed, it would not be long before even the mother’s life would be a controversial exception—and for some people it already is.)

None of these arguments, alone or together, can stand under its own weight. The real-world outcome of these positions is the elimination of abortion rights for some people all of the time and all other people some of the time.

Do I need to remind you what the consequences are of the widespread elimination of abortion rights? This isn’t some trivial thing we’re talking about, Thought. This is extremely serious. People’s lives are actively injured, or ruined, whenever a female wishes to terminate a pregnancy but is unable to do so.

Let’s revisit the half of the article I object to, and I’ll offer a Joshalonian interpretation as we go.

You know what? I’m not pro-abortion, and I don’t know anyone who is.

Effective Meaning: “To justify my support for abortion rights, first I am ruling out the legitimacy of the pro-abortion position.”

Abortion isn’t a recreational activity or a hobby. I don’t think there’s a single woman on earth who would ever say to a lover, “You know what? Knock me up. I haven’t had a good abortion in at least six months.”

Effective Meaning: “I presume to judge that there are numerous instances where abortion would be unacceptable, and would attempt to discredit anyone who might defend it in those instances. More to the point, I reject the claim that females have the right to assert control over their bodies in the absence of what I consider to be an adequate reason.”

I think abortion is a horrible procedure.

Effective Meaning: “I agree with the conservative claim that abortion is a horrible procedure. By extension, I think it is a tragedy when females resort to controlling their own bodies, even when they do have cause.”

So does everyone forced to resort to it.

Effective Meaning: “I speak for the entire pro-choice movement when I say that our position is ugly to look at and difficult to justify.”

I’d love to make elective abortions — not done for the sake of preserving the health of the mother — a thing of the past.

Effective Meaning: “I want to eliminate most abortions, because they are ‘horrible.’”

So would everyone.

Effective Meaning: “And again I speak for everyone in the pro-choice movement when I say that.”

I’d get rid of the bulk of abortions, if I could...

Effective Meaning: “My support for female reproductive rights is largely defined by my opposition to it.”

I’d also love to pour some money into research to find ways to make embryos and first-trimester fetuses harvestable so they can be implanted in the wombs of people who can’t have their own babies...

Effective Meaning: “Females should consent to having their bodies invaded and their fetuses stripped out of them before resorting to an abortion. Did I mention I’m pro-choice?”

And then, after however long it takes for them to become available, you’ll see abortions dwindle down to nothing and fade away.

Effective Meaning: “Abortion is horrible and I hope it goes away.”

Well, Thought...with allies like these, who needs enemies! You have an important decision to make here. Such an attitude as that of the author of this article, no matter how provisionally supportive of abortion rights it may be, is worse than unacceptable. It harms the entire movement, and by extension the sexual equality movement.

Abortion is not horrible. It can be a physical ordeal, like getting a cavity filled, but it is one of the major prerequisites to female emancipation in the world. I’m all for people who don’t want to be pregnant not getting pregnant in the first place, but this is the real world, and in the real world people sometimes get pregnant even when they do everything right—let alone when they do not!

Safe, legal abortion is a major breakthrough...something to be cherished.

The collective social affirmation that females have a right to decide whether or not to give birth—whether that entails abstinence, contraception, or abortion—is an even more major breakthrough...something to be celebrated!

The privacy argument does have one enduring merit. If we accept people’s right to an abortion, it’s not our place to tell strangers that their reasons for having an abortion are good or bad.

Let me express that pragmatically for you. I do not necessarily want to see the abortion rate go up or down or stay the same. I want the people who want to have abortions to be able to get them, and I want people who don’t want to get pregnant in the first place to have a better chance of not getting pregnant in the first place.

I don't want some yahoo who mostly buys into the right-wing view to dare speak for the pro-choice movement whose primary concern is to let people speak for themselves. And I don't want you to fail to appreciate just how detestable I find such sentiments to be. Given the real-world ramifications of pregnancy and motherhood, in this lovely sexist world of ours, it is beyond the pale to organize a pro-choice argument by alienating the very females we are supposedly trying to empower. To do so is to give our fundamentalist enemies the keys to the castle.

Your decision here is to choose whether you find that objectionable. I assure you, sir...there is a correct answer. Even if you feel inclined toward the correct answer now, however, I counsel reflection and contemplation. The fact that you could have read that article and gleaned genuinely no idea of why I find it so terrible is a reminder to me that you have come from a very different past, and may still greatly profit from the exposure to progressive viewpoints. Take some time to savor the process of making that decision, because it is a very important one. We're not playing for beans here. This is quite literally life and death. Only the most perfect discipline is acceptable for someone of your caliber.