Author Topic: Cyber Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. Post your experiences and stuff here  (Read 1482 times)

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Ever had cybyer bullies such as in Myspace.com, YouTube.com or other Chatroom/BB Boards.   

Then post your experiences here and what you did to overcome them.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/532829/online_forum_etiquette_how_to_deal.html?cat=9

The Nature of Forums
Online forums are no different than any other group formed by people throughout human history. There are leaders, followers, outsiders. For convenience, you can look at a forum as kingdom. There's usually a king and a queen, a prince and princess, court jesters, members of the nobility, wise old advisors and outsiders. While an online forum is a trivial kingdom, remember that people defend their kingdoms, no matter how small. It could be an office, a playground, a seat at the table, or a forum.

Troll or Bully?
In many ways, I have more respect for a troll than a forum bully. At least a troll is direct. If you pick up a snake, and it bites you, whose fault is that? The snake was just doing what it does. It's the same with trolls. Their intentions are obvious - they're in the forum to disrupt and cause trouble. They arrive with all the subtlety of a jet on a landing strip.

Forum bullies are harder to spot. They disguise their intentions. But make no mistake. When you encounter one, you will know - because their bite is equally malicious and just as full of venom.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
What is a Forum Bully?
"A forum bully is school ground throwback. Remember that middle school bully with his pathetic little band of sycophantic followers? That's a forum bully. In ways the forum bully is just a pseudonym for a troll, but with a major difference. While the troll's behavior is condemned by the group, the forum bully's actions are condoned by the group. Established members of the group, who don't agree with the forum bully, usually remain quiet while the bully tears apart people just for sport and as a demonstration of power within the forum."

My problems have happend at Vgmusic.com and TheHylia where if you don't agree with what they say you are usually 'out'.     

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
What is a Forum Bully?
"A forum bully is school ground throwback. Remember that middle school bully with his pathetic little band of sycophantic followers? That's a forum bully. In ways the forum bully is just a pseudonym for a troll, but with a major difference. While the troll's behavior is condemned by the group, the forum bully's actions are condoned by the group. Established members of the group, who don't agree with the forum bully, usually remain quiet while the bully tears apart people just for sport and as a demonstration of power within the forum."

My problems have happend at Vgmusic.com and TheHylia where if you don't agree with what they say you are usually 'out'.     

How self-centered of you to say.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Not Even Your Child's Bedroom Can Save Them From a Bully Anymore
Once upon a time, bullying was a playground thing. Schoolyard insults, pushing and shoving expanded to the middle and high school stages with whispers and darker insults. New kids, shy kids, and other kids who feel out of place are typically the
 victims of such bullying. These are typically the kids that dread to go to school for fear of embarrassment, shame, or the fear that comes from being harmed or believing they will be harmed by their peers.

As more and more students begin to rely on computers, the internet, and cell phones as their primary sources of communication after school hours, bullying has also taken a step into the electronic age. What's now known as "cyber-bullying" is sweeping across schools all across the country like wildfire, and many parents are completely oblivious to the turmoil that follows their children home from school like a dark cloud.

A cyber-bully uses email, instant messaging, chat rooms, and even text messaging to insult, threaten, harass, impersonate, and even humiliate their peers - in many cases, in the form of lewd or embarrassing photographs online - all while hiding behind the veil of anonymity that the internet provides.

As children get older, the insults, rumors, and overall humiliation expands from the common childish insults to hurtful comments often sexual in nature, which include profanity and detailed reports (both true and untrue) of promiscuous activity. With online sites such as Myspace.com, LiveJournal.com, Blogger.com and many others, pictures, video, and comments can be posted about anyone- not just for a whole school to see, but the entire internet community.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile

Two words.  s-h-u-t u-p.        Can't say constructive  then don't say something at all.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile

Two words.  s-h-u-t u-p.        Can't say constructive  then don't say something at all.

Honestly, I consider what I say to you to be very constructive. You post in threads with blatant disregard for their topic and you make threads solely about whining for your own misfortune online. If anything, you'd fit the definition of "Cyber Bully" much better than I.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
This thread is designed as a serious discussion on the issues of cyber bulling and how it can harm a community.   Obviously you DON'T know the meaning of a serious thread and if you can't handle a serious thread you should get the hell out.

I hope you talk like that to someone in real life and get yourself knocked out!  :P

See that sign over at the entrance to this thread?   "Do Not Feed The Trolls"    that includes you.  :P

If you would like to be a bully why not make your own blog/forum to make fun of people who want a serious discussion cause  you will be the moderator of such forum and I won't join nor waste my time lurking.                There you and your fellow thread bashers can hang out and be cool till the cows come home.

I am done wasting my time with you as you did NOT contritube and are trying to degrade me which I will not let you do cause if I try to defand myself till the cows come home I'll be labed as something falese.       
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:19:15 pm by TriforceofEternity »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
It seems to me that this topic itself has caused the very point of the topic!

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
There is a bully thread just a little down a ways here. I was a victim of cyber bullying. I really couldn't stand that prick >_>;. I already posted my experience in that thread...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Cyber-bullying seems to have become a very serious problem, but it is almost exclusively limited to the generation immediately below mine. I've never encountered it; only read about it in the news and in secondhand accounts like ZaichiArky's. But it does seem to come up surprisingly often.

In one sense, it's impressive that humanity has found a way to adapt bullying to the Internet. Disgusting, but impressive. The only thing we can do, I think, is educate people not to allow themselves to be vulnerable to it.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
I guess I've never had a cyberbullying problem, but when I here about it it makes me think of a guy who either won't stop spamming you or a guy who's just being a comlpete asshole. That just sounds like life kicking you in the face and you can't do a thing about it.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Aye, cyber bullies are a big problem. I haven't been cyber bullied personally, but I'm sure I've encountered them. I usually see people pick on a member and then back off after a bit. That's just as shameful, in my opinion. However, I haven't really seen those cyber bullies who thrive on tormenting people to the point of harassment and personal devastation.

I guess I see more cyber assholes than anything. They act arrogantly, criticize people unreasonably, pride themselves on their own intolerance, and have very little remorse for doing so. No one likes them, other than those who share their world views and those who aren't their target, and absolutely no one respects 'em. You'll find these people everywhere. They all have a similar air about them: in-jokes, arrogance, intolerance, ignorance, disrespect, etc. The difference between these blokes and cyber bullies, is that these assholes don't get a sick joy out of tormenting people, it's just that they do it for no apparent reason.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
I've been cyberbullied a ton, especially on Youtube and Myspace. I suppose you could say I'm something of a troll in that I tend to be more sarcastic and prankish on people on forums and sites like Youtube(and Wikipedia, yes) but I don't do it to be mean spirited, and I certainly don't bully people. That's just retarded.

Here's some sage advice though: if you're gonna cyberbully someone(and I am not condoning that) have the common sense to not cyberbully someone you know out in the real world.

Example: Last week of school, a jackass on my school forum decided to send me pictures of him making out with my soon-to-be-ex, with some rather crude captions underneath. The next day, I kicked his ass.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile

I recall that subject brought about own fate at The Hylia. Made a thread complaining because a moderator had not responded to his PM within 24 hours. Many members got irritated by sheer antics.

I only have adoring fans, myself. As long as I have this nick here (heaven forbid), they could probably find me too. Oh well.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

Two words.  s-h-u-t u-p.        Can't say constructive  then don't say something at all.

Honestly, I consider what I say to you to be very constructive. You post in threads with blatant disregard for their topic and you make threads solely about whining for your own misfortune online. If anything, you'd fit the definition of "Cyber Bully" much better than I.

Causing trouble simply because one is slightly obtuse when it comes to social matters is not the same thing, in any respect, as bullying.

Bullying has a certain malicious intent to it and is tantamount to someone pretending to be God. It's about power and domination, and it reflects the cruelest, most pathetic aspect of human nature.

Cyber-bullying seems to have become a very serious problem, but it is almost exclusively limited to the generation immediately below mine. I've never encountered it; only read about it in the news and in secondhand accounts like ZaichiArky's. But it does seem to come up surprisingly often.

In one sense, it's impressive that humanity has found a way to adapt bullying to the Internet. Disgusting, but impressive. The only thing we can do, I think, is educate people not to allow themselves to be vulnerable to it.

We started using computers as social devices later in our respective lives than most of the young people after us. Things like myspace didn't exist, and the few Internet communities that did were usually of a much higher caliber than those common today. Not to mention, the few people who were on the Internet and vocal enough to be a member of some community were usually savvy enough to fend for themselves.

More importantly though, it was a lot harder to dig up personal information on people before Google and social networking took over the Internet and suddenly everyone was online giving away all their personal information.

Personally, I'm probably too thick skinned and technologically savvy to be vulnerable to any sort of "Cyber Bullying." As far as I can tell, it's merely a battle of wits and wills, and all it takes to stop a cruel antagonist is to make him feel just enough pain that the pleasure he gets from harassing you isn't enough to make up for it.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:48:19 pm by Ramsus »