Author Topic: What anime should I watch next?  (Read 3727 times)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
What anime should I watch next?
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:54:08 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has been watching Gundam 00, but due to Sunrise being total A-holes(you'd get that if you watched Gundam 00) I can't get anymore of that until 2010. So I need to know what anime I should watch now, the only things I want to stay away from are things like Bleach! and Naruto, just because they have like 200+ episodes and I will never catch up with that. What other animes are good? I was thinking of watching Code Geass because some people say it's like Gundam, but the question still stands, what animes are really good to watch?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: What anime should I watch next?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:50 pm »
If you're not restricting yourself to a series or something readily watchable on cable, Millennium Actress has to be the best darn couple hours of animated goodness ever created.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »
Well, I know of one, Detective Conan, and I would recommend that one, if it wasn't for the fact you aren't watching one who has a lot of episodes (This one has 550+, plus 12 movies).

And that was the only one I had to recommend. Or is it? If only I had access to my father's computer right now, I would have a big list to tell.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:55:11 pm »
I have a few good anime you should watch.

Long, Arcy Anime with Lots of Filler: I would suggest Full Metal Alchemist. I haven't seen all of it, but it is friggin' epic from what I saw. The characters are amazing, as is the art. I want Ready, Steady, Go back on my MP3 player.

Not So Long but Filled to the Brim with WTF Moments and Lots of Followup: One of the only anime that comes right into mind is RahXephon. The story is sheer brilliance and filled with WTF. You will not want to overexpose yourself to it, but RahXephon is one of my faves. It has a movie, but that's even more WTF than the series.

Short but Makes you Think: You were wondering where this would come up, right? One of my all time favorite anime EVER is Shojou Kakumei Utena. You can see Utena (pink haired girl) and Anthy (purple haired girl), two main characters, in my avatar line up. Also, ker-plop uses Miki as his avatar, another main character. The series as a whole is awesome, and if you don't like the story, think of it this way: somewhat homosexual girls in super short skirts/shorts, swords, rape, and the most amazing music EVER. I love Shojou Kakumei Utena's music! Look for it under the titles La Fillette Revolutionaire and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

When you watch all of these, make sure to watch them SUBBED not DUBBED (what was I thinking when I typed this?!). The voices are terrible in English and I haven't found the completed series of SKU in English. Plus, that one is dubbed from the French, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:42:27 pm by teaflower »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
Last Exile.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:47:14 pm »
Well my suggestions have all been said :(

Last Exile is a an epic telling a tale of a war set in the late Victorian age. It told for the view of two kids(more young adults really) but in no way it the story all about them, plus it has an fantastic Steam-Punk twist.

Full Metal Alchemist or FMA is also about a war and its set during a would around the time of WWI, it an alternate history where Science expanded more on Alchemy instead. The series of beautifully complex and holds nothing back, yet doesn't leave the viewer confused, just hooked to see more.

Now Millennium Actress is just a movie, not a full anime but its done by Satoshi Kon. It not like Last Exile, FMA, gundum or any of them at all, its not action oriented. It amazingly gorgeous though, specficly the music in it MY GOD! The movie itself is an interview of an elderly lady who was once an actress.

My two cents: Paranoia Agent this is a short series only about 13 eps long, also done by Satoshi Kon. Its a definitely a physiological horror, but it sits proudly and deserving as king of the genre. It has a story the could only be told in an anime but is as good as any median could be.

Best part is all of these (save Millennium Actress) also have GOOD English dubs as well, in fact I would go so far as to say the these three (plus Cowboy Bebop) are better in English then in Japanese.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:48:54 pm by KebreI »

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:49:41 am »
Urotsukidoji:  Legend of Overfiend.

Good family entertainment.  *Hides*

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:47:08 am »
If you like mecha shows, I'd recommend Zegapain, an underappreciated gem of a series from a couple of years ago.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:33:35 am »
Mobile Suit Gundam (the original series), Gundam: The 08th MS Team, and After War Gundam X are the best Gundam series in my opinion. To me, the others tend to come across as completely melodramatic and entirely superficial.

Eureka Seven has some nice style to it and isn't too long of a series. Of course, there's Trigun and Hellsing, but you've probably seen those.

Samurai Champloo and Serial Experiments Lain are also good, along with FLCL and Cowboy Bebop, but you've probably seen all those too. They stand out because they aren't conversions from any manga series, so they don't suffer pacing or story inconsistency issues to the degree a lot of other anime does.

I'd recommend Berserk as well, but the ending offers no closure and kind of leaves you hanging (the manga went on with the story, but the anime just stops). Rurouni Kenshin is another broken manga to anime conversion, and you've probably seen it already, but check out the Trust and Betrayal OVA.

For some light humor, Kodocha is a really good series, and one of the few manga to anime conversions that really works well. If you have a lot of time to kill, Slayers and Ranma 1/2 might be fun to watch with a few friends, but only if you can stand the constant running gags and you like the characters (and assuming you can actually find a copy of either series). Lupin III is also really good, but like the manga, there's no real continuity between episodes, which can be a good thing when you just want to watch a random episode or two of something, but a bad thing when you have all weekend to kill.

I kind of like A.D. Police: To Protect and Serve as well, but for the same reasons I like watching the Die Hard or Lethal Weapon movies, so don't expect a lot with that one.

For just random humor, Cromartie High School and Gurren Lagann can be pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:41:37 am by Ramsus »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:19:50 am »
I'll just put down some of the series I've watched and liked:

Trigun, Eureka Seven, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain, Last Exile, Rosario + Vampire, Berserk, Gosyusho Sama Ninomiya Kun, Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, Chobits, Hellsing, Claymore, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Alchemist, Serial Lain Experiments, Ergo Proxy, Sola, Inukami!, Love Hina, Girls Bravo, FLCL, Lucky Star, The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, Shin Chan, RahXephon, Gurren Lagann, Berserk, Love Love?, Vampire Knight, Soul Eater, Monster, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Kenichi

The mecha ones out of that are: Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic!, RahXephon, and Gurren Lagann.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:41:59 am »
Let me enlighten you, my friend!  :grimm

1) School Rumble: A hilarious mix of School, romance, comedy and insanity! XDDD
2) Hayate no Gotoku: Yet another comical anime that is hard to miss! It's a parody of all other cool anime and games out there, for cryin out loud!
3) Kino no Tabi: A kind of anime hardly anyone has seen before. It's based more on Philosophy and Action, but personally, it's my favorite <3
4) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Why the hell wouldn't anybody watch THIS?! XD
5) Rurouni Kenshin: A classic masterpiece! And loved by all!
6) Curious Play - Fushigi Yuugi: Yet another classic masterpiece!

And there's more! =D Just lemme know if you're interested.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »
Urotsukidoji:  Legend of Overfiend.

Good family entertainment.  *Hides*
:picardno

Dude, I'm sorry, but that was worth a Picard...

On topic...

Tenchi Muyo (OVAs and Universe; stay the hell away from Tenchi in Tokyo) series is pretty funny and classic. Nice early harem anime, since you claim to have seen Girls Bravo.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »
Oh! Another one!

From a manga on haitus comes X/1999! It's an awesome series, with amazing music. The characters are... girly. What do you expect? It's CLAMP! It's kind of freaky (Fuma licks Kamui's cheek... ew...) and kind of gorey (at least he didn't do the string thing with Kotori, right?), but still epic.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:29 pm »
Ok, i have no clue of about 90% of all those animes. But mainly there are two things I want to stay away from, animes like Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it was funny for a while but not anymore, and two, which is the hardest to explain, anything that is too japanese, like I wouldn't understand it because of cultural differences. I loved Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Trigun, and Rurouni Kenshin, but I've seen all episodes and I'm looking for a series not an OVA or movie. Oh and since I'm broke, I kinda need to find these online.

Mobile Suit Gundam (the original series), Gundam: The 08th MS Team, and After War Gundam X are the best Gundam series in my opinion. To me, the others tend to come across as completely melodramatic and entirely superficial.

And frankly Ramsus I'm a little offended by this. Two of my favorite animes are Gundam Wing and Gundam 00, I don't think they are superficial in the least bit. Maybe a little idealistic, but not superficial. And the original series is good but my mind has been corrupted by the horrible dub of Cartoon Network. And more importantly where did you find Gundam X? I've been looking for that for about two years now with no results.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:56 pm »
Well Last Exile still fits those criteria, all though I still say Paranoia Agent and Millennium Actress are still must see even is they are very much based on Japanese culture.