Author Topic: CT and/or CC in a online download? *hoping for, not announcing*  (Read 908 times)

newcoke

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Just curious what you guys think they odds of this are. And additionally for what system would it be released. The reason I am asking is every two or three years I break out my SNES and PS2 slim and run through Chrono Trigger and cross. This year when I busted out my PS2 it is having mechanical issues that let me play cross but at a ridiculously slow rate. Anyway since the only reason i keep my PS2 around is to play this game and don't want to shell out for a new one, and would rather just download it to my Wii.  Any thoughts on the likelihood of either game getter released? (I don't care as much about Trigger as my SNES works great plus if it broke I have enough other reasons to replace it). So i guess my questions are.

Likelihood of Cross for download?
For Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?
Likelihood of Trigger for download?
For Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?

Things that lessen my hope (for trigger): Trigger being released on DS and not wanting to compete with themselves
Things that give me hope: Secret of Mana on virtual consul right now. A clear strong relationship between Square and Nintendo

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: CT and/or CC in a online download? *hoping for, not announcing*
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:27:42 am »
If Cross comes out for download, PS3 is the most likely candidate as they already offer PS1 games for sale as downloadable content. Rumor has it that Japan has Xenogears. For a similar reason, if Chrono Trigger comes out for download, it will most likely be on the Wii, due to the Virtual Console.

If I had to guess which was more likely, I'd probably say Cross, but I think that's also somewhat dependent on the sales of Chrono Trigger DS and what Square Enix, which is running out of Super NES Final Fantasy games to release on DS, plans to do after the likely DS remake of FFVI.

idioticidioms

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:32:24 am »
I'm hoping that they completely remake CT for the PS3. In fact, I'm hoping that they're making it right now. It would sure explain why they shut down the crew working on CT: Resurrection. It would look so badass. About as badass as the trailor I saw for FF7 on PS3 if not more badass. Come to think of it.. It would be way more badass than FF7 on PS3, and way more badass if they relased both at once with FF6 and 8 remade.

you may call me a dreamer
but I'm not the only one

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:03:32 am »
A clear strong relationship between Square and Nintendo

Ha ha, bullshit. Square whined when Nintendo put Geno in Brawl, despite the fact it would make him even more popular, and thus Square probably gets more fan requests to put him in another game.

[/offtopic]

IMO, I really want to see Cross re-released, since then more than likely, we'll see better graphics than the original PSX version.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:38:11 pm »
A clear strong relationship between Square and Nintendo

Ha ha, bullshit. Square whined when Nintendo put Geno in Brawl, despite the fact it would make him even more popular, and thus Square probably gets more fan requests to put him in another game.

Wait, what? Links please.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:42:20 pm »
Wait, what? Links please.

I honestly cannot remember where I saw it, and I seriously doubt the site still exists (I know I was trying to find a pic of the model they gave him to use in T.O.), plus the filters on this laptop, I'd say no dice on the links, but I wish I could help.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:47:15 pm »
Googling: "Square Nintendo Geno"  came up with http://gonintendo.com/?p=34648...maybe more but I don't really care.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:48:22 pm »
Just asked Siggy to look for it, and he found this.

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/7174-super_smash_bros_brawl_the_cause_of_the_original_delay/

Since it's blocked on this laptop, IDK how useful it is.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »
A rumor, and certainly possible, but still speculative.

What honestly surprises me is that Geno wasn't in Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Square-Enix was working on that project, and realized that it had a feel that would fit well with the Mario IP, so they contacted Nintendo and made a deal. This is why the game has Mario and Final Fantasy characters in it. It would stand to reason that Geno and Mallow would be in such a collaboration, but for some reason, they weren't in it.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »
Would have been cool, since it would give Geno a voice.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:22:47 am »
Trigger seems doubtful since they just gave it a port for DS and Square in general hasn't been extremely forthcoming with it's online downloads of games. Certainly not with its more popular titles anyways...definitely not outside of Japan.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:39:18 am »
Geno was number one in Nintendo's polls when the fans were able to vote way back when. They put him in the game. He IS in there. However, not as you think. Square complained, and Nintendo had to replace Geno with Lucario. Thus, the random Pokemon. So, Basically, Geno's move set would be very simalar to Lucarios move set, if not identical. Or at least, that's what information I've gathered. I'm pretty sure on the official Brawl website, something like that was mentioned... I was one of the people who checked it daily.
[/very off topic. Sorry guys.]

And V beat me to it, I figured that when the projects were shut down, Square was making something Chrono Trigger related. Annnd it was CTDS.

EDIT: I just read the articles. They say almost the same thing I just said.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07:34 am »
Geno was number one in Nintendo's polls when the fans were able to vote way back when. They put him in the game. He IS in there. However, not as you think. Square complained, and Nintendo had to replace Geno with Lucario. Thus, the random Pokemon. So, Basically, Geno's move set would be very simalar to Lucarios move set, if not identical.

Lucario's in there almost certainly because of Diamond & Pearl. His moveset and playstyle are almost identical to Mewtwo's, who isn't in the game. Lucario's likely just a replacement for Mewtwo because he's a newer (and extremely popular) Pokémon, plus it doubles as advertising for the new games.

Yeah, Geno would've been great though...