Author Topic: Lacking Research Skills  (Read 588 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Lacking Research Skills
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:33 pm »
So I have gone through out my highschool education writing only technical based papers. How to build something, behaviors/properties of a chemical, LOTS of lab reports etc. But I haven't written an essay before, and the topic I have is Culture and behavior on the Internet.

So what I am asking is some tips on how to go about researching this, keywords, types of publication(magazines, interviews) and schools(Sociology, anthropology or technical). This kind of paper is quite new to me. The topic just seems WAY to vague to make any process on.

I've never be that good at writing, or any of the creative arts. I am a mathematician.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Lacking Research Skills
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:14 pm »
What I would suggest is going into your local library or school library and seeing what you can find in the catalog. Also, we're a good example of behavior on the internet. We have our own culture.

Say, would you like to write me a 10 page long research paper that is due on Friday? I'd love that!

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:48:38 pm »
Naw, I think I would like to write it myself, I like to accomplish stuff. The problem with "go to the library" is I know this but when I look up I can get VERY few books on this topic. I not sure if its because this is a recent topic(i.e past decade) . Maybe because I am looking in the wrong area, and if so where should I look?

I think its too broad of a topic, maybe I should narrow it down?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:54:35 pm by KebreI »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:38 pm »
LOTS of lab reports etc.

lol, if you have to take any advanced science courses in college you haven't even experienced the hell which is a 30 page lab report yet.

And I would suggest making the scope of your paper as narrow as possible. If you keep it broad and vague you will only touch on many topics without going that in depth into them. If you keep it specific and narrow you can elaborate your points further and altogether write a better paper.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »
I think I would like to delve in to Internet etiquette and "customs" . I don't know it seems odd have solely internet sources because I can't find any published works on this topic.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:32:00 pm by KebreI »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:33:28 pm »
Hmm... well, I think you must have a specific thesis statement. Just to write a paper on Internet Etiquette doesn't ask much of a question that demands answering, nor does it attempt to prove a specific point. You have to formulate it precisely, and from that point onward you can guide your research.

I should think that the library would have sufficient resources on the matter. If you search under sociological works, I'm sure there must be something there. Because that's really what it is, society and technology.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:54 pm »
You know, I wonder if you can cite specific examples of what people say on Internet forums -- there's MLA citations that can be applied to that sort of thing IIRC. Based on concrete examples, you could make inferences about trends or something. But then again, it's hard to say anything in general about Internet behavior because there's infinite variety.

What really strikes me about Internet behavior is how honest people are sometimes -- we express things we might not normally in real life. For example, people feel no qualms about discussing personal dilemmas in the Frustration Thread. Some users have problems with siblings, some with their bosses, others with Bob the tow trucker, etc., etc. What is it about anonymity that makes us feel so open and willing to be honest?

However, we're not really anonymous after all, are we? As with any community, the Compendium consists of people brought together by common interests, and we feel just as strong about the friendships we make here as the ones we make in real life sometimes.

In any case, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Internet forums are ripe with opportunities to conduct first-hand research on human behavior. It's like having millions of open diaries right at your fingertips.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:29 am »
So I have gone through out my highschool education writing only technical based papers. How to build something, behaviors/properties of a chemical, LOTS of lab reports etc. But I haven't written an essay before, and the topic I have is Culture and behavior on the Internet.

So what I am asking is some tips on how to go about researching this, keywords, types of publication(magazines, interviews) and schools(Sociology, anthropology or technical). This kind of paper is quite new to me. The topic just seems WAY to vague to make any process on.

I've never be that good at writing, or any of the creative arts. I am a mathematician.
Trust me, you'll need those writing skills when trying to explain concepts that are over the average layperson's head. That said, I suppose the best way to do things would be to take notes on patterns of behavior, styles thereof, how said styles interact and specific examples thereto. You might consider even covering the behavior of trolls and productive members.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:47 am »
Based on the topic title it seems like you're being pointed more in the direction of how people can use the internet to shed their inhibitions and hide behind an internet persona. Or maybe that's just how it seems to me? *shrugs*

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:26:56 am »
Well I looked around the catalogs(there all online now huh...) again and narrowing it down did help...A LOT. Still stuck on what direction I want to go with it. But now I kind have something to go off of.

Trust me, you'll need those writing skills when trying to explain concepts that are over the average layperson's head. That said, I suppose the best way to do things would be to take notes on patterns of behavior, styles thereof, how said styles interact and specific examples thereto. You might consider even covering the behavior of trolls and productive members.
I know, technical and, if the muse hits me, creative writing are the only ones I can do well. I understand the value in the skill, which is why I am taking this class.