Author Topic: Chrono Compendium Japanese Innacuracy (?)  (Read 1322 times)

rpgflea

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Chrono Compendium Japanese Innacuracy (?)
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:19 pm »
Hi there! Its been a while, but I think I may have found another error. Possibly. I dont know. Ill be the first to say "I dont know Japanese" but as I am sure you know, I am a Flea fan. In fact the last time I wrote here it was for another possible Flea-related article error. Anyway, Here is the problem.

(マヨネー) vs (マヨネイ)

The spelling on the left is the one used by Wikipedia and the one on the right is used by the Compendium. Now while I am sure good arguments can be made for why one is more correct than the other, I tend to favor the left for 2 reasons. 

First, from what I am told by a friend who speaks the language, the one on the right has an extra "I" on it that is not exactly incorrect, but its unnecessary and meant to be cutesy. While it WOULD fit with Flea's own persona, I dont think that it is the straight up interpretation of the name.

Either way, lets go ahead and excuse the last reason for this one. I use google image search to periodically screen for Flea fanart. I used both of these names in the Google Image search and only the left one produces results relating to Flea from Chrono Trigger. The other produces no Flea images (In fact, it produces no Chrono related images at all) so, at least from the cultural standpoint, the spelling on the left is the one recognized by the Japanese fan community.

See for yourselves (If you are sensitive to graphic art, I suggest you not review the links as it may contain suggestive artwork):
Chrono Compendium spelling

Wikipedia Spelling

This is also the case on other Japanese search engines I have used in the past.

Now I dont know if this means anything and, certainly, its your page, you can decide if its worth changing or not. I simply feel that, at least people can know that there are two possible spellings (only one of which produces hits on Japanese search engines for the character). Again, I dont presume that one is more correct than the other, only what I personally prefer for my own purposes, and I am merely providing alternative information.

If someone has a spelling that produces hits AND isn't either of these spellings, please show me!

Love,
RPGFlea

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Compendium Japanese Innacuracy (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:49:20 pm »
The spelling in the encyclopedia goes back to 2005.
The spelling you gave of the left is the one actually used in the game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »
Goddamn it, so how is it supposed to look all Romanized then...? I know that was wrong in the Encyclopedia before, but now it's changed to Mayonnai...are you saying it's supposed to be Mayonnaii, then...?

And no need to tread lightly about this kind of stuff...it's part of the community (it's a wiki after all), so I think everyone's supposed to point out errors if they see 'em.

rpgflea

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:08:23 pm »
To be honest, I dont think romanization is important. I dont think there isnt really a wrong way to do it and, honestly, I've seen everything from Mayonai to Mayone and Mayanee. I cant even pretend to understand it, but I think Flea's name is, if we're going to do it from the source "Mayonnaise" which, if we're just messing with the word, has the 'se' pulled off the end.

Erm.. even so, I dont think the name is supposed to correlate correctly from Mayonnaise, at least where romanization is concerned. I've been told there isnt really a wrong way to do romanization as long as it matches the way it sounds which, I am told, it something like Ma-yo-knee.

Edit: Oh.. and to answer the question which I COMPLETELY forgot... Im suggesting that the way its spelled CURRENTLY on the Compendium is Mayonnaii (or something like that)... and that there is an "i' which doesnt necessarilly belong unless yer trying to make it sound cutesy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:12:13 pm by rpgflea »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:13:44 pm »
Well, it's only important in that I'd like some consistency when creating fanfics, but I guess there just isn't any...V_V

It's not pronounced may-oh-nay? Hmmm...I guess that is how they pronounce i's, though, huh...WHY DOES THIS STUPID WORLD HAVE SO MANY STUPID LANGUAGES!?! STAR TREK FEDERATION, WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU!!?!? Though I guess the translators wouldn't really help with written language, huh...>_<

rpgflea

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:03 pm »
It might be pronounced "May-oh-nay"! I have no clue ^_^ I've been using Mayone this whole time because at LEAST it could be read as either "May-oh-nay" or "May-oh-knee" ... and I know real people who have the last name "Mayone" so.. it works out. But certainly not for canonical reasons.

rpgflea

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:39 pm »
New Development!

When you mentioned google translator, It got me thinking! I HAVE a translator! Google! :D

Here it is:
Mayone

Again, google isnt all accurate, but... hey, it supports my using Mayone. It also explains why some Japanese fanart I have spells her name "Mayone" in the picture filename. I can provide some links if anyone needs further proof. So... I guess the Japanese fan community also sees "Mayone" as the official romanization (after a fashion)

For giggles, I also translated マヨネイ with Goggle... it comes up as "Mayonei" ... which explains the extra I... I guess we need to change both the Japanese and the romanization in the compendium.

However, on further note, neither Mayone or Mayonei produces any good results on Google Image search

Edit: Flea's name spelled as Mayone A japanese fan art place referring to Flea as "Mayone"... it was located under マヨネー and both the image and the website end with the romanization of "Mayone" as did a number of other Flea image searches that came up with the same reslt.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:34:38 pm by rpgflea »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:47:45 pm »
I'm glad that after I establish w/e version of the whole name, I'm just going to refer to him/her as "May" in my fanfic...V_V

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 04:10:38 am »
(マヨネー) vs (マヨネイ)

Left is pronounced Ma-yo-nee

Right is pronounced Ma-yo-ne-i

"ー" in Katakana basically extends the vowel sound of the previous letter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:34:23 am by FouCapitan »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:33:39 am »
He is actually "マヨネー" in game...
but マヨネイ is more like a female name in Japan I think.
 :picardno

rpgflea

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »
Given the fact that its spelled this way in the game.. and that that same way results in "Mayone" rather than "Mayonnai" I'd be even more adamant in my support of the in-game spelling.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 11:11:44 pm »
His name is more likely a play of mayonnaise(マヨネーズ), according to the compendium, perhaps マヨネイ is only a common mis-spell.

Alcyone

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:24:51 am »
I just call him Mayonnaise, but it does appear that the romanization would be "Mayone"(pronounced Mah-yo-nay). Both マヨネー and マヨネイ are pronounced nearly the same way anyways.

I think it's just easier to call him Flea. >_>

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:17 am »
Yeah, but Flea sounds like a monster (those Fleamen from Castlevania, for example) >_>
Mayonay sounds like a girl's name, so...

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 04:02:51 am »
Yeah, but Flea sounds like a monster (those Fleamen from Castlevania, for example) >_>
Mayonay sounds like a girl's name, so...
What the-  HEY!  He's a guy!