Author Topic: asafigow says hello  (Read 8042 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: asafigow says hello
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:56 pm »
Yes, of course I love CT, I've never actually played CC, though, and I don't know if I want because of how freaky Harle looks. Because of Chrono Trigger I might never play FF ever again for CT is just so much better.

Seriously? You don't want to play Cross because of the way Harle looks? Por que good sir?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »
Yeah, Cross is a great game.

[/asafigowrefusestoplaycross]

[riskgame]

Also, I played a chess derivative once that was really challenging and really fun.

Problem is, I forgot its name.

:picardno

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:56 pm »
Ok then, I'll see if I can play Chrono Cross. I would play big games like risk and stuff, but KebreI's right. There's really no one who likes game boards anymore.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:51 pm »
How many RPG's have you played Asafigow? There's so many great ones out there besides just Chrono and Final Fantasy. I'm under the impression that you are relatively new to RPG's too, right? Have you played Final Fantasy VI? That game is up there with Chrono Trigger as one of the greatest RPG's ever made.

Then there's Xenogears. Amazing game, nuff' said. Although if you are easily offended, some of the underlying themes in that game may bother you some.

There's also the Star Ocean series, especially Star Ocean 2 on the Playstation. One of my favs.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »
Western RPG seem to go under represented here. If you liked the fast paced combat of trigger as oppside to many other time of RPGs then try out Knights of the Old Republic. Baldur's Gate full of detail and freedom yet unlike Oblivion and such there is still a clear and intresting plot. If your new to RPG there is a Deus ex or system shock with is an AMAZING hybrid of RPG and FPS.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:57 pm »
Yeah... The thing about asafigow is that I introduced him to RPG's quite recently ago. The only RPG's he's played other than CT is FF5, and he never beat that because of CT. hmm... Yeah. And he has no PSX, 2 or 3. The only system he has is a DS lite, and his computer... He WILL Have a gamecube soon, once I get it all working and primed for him.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 08:58:37 pm »
Well, there's a lot he can do with the internet (which he obviously has) and the right sites.

Figow (might change his nickname later), you should try emulation. They work great for systems prior to N64 and the like. Get compilation games, if you can. They have good stuff in them, man.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 09:02:58 pm »
As Nerd said, I'm limited to GBA and DS games. Always have been. Though I've also tried that Mario RPG and it was pretty good. And remember, I said I also I loved all Kirby games. Kirby rules. (>'o'>)  :) It would be cool if someone made a Kirby RPG, but I don't think it would work out since Kirby games are fast moving and you usually kill things in less than a second. Nerd's told me about emulaters. They sound ok, especially since you can ROM hack. Also, FPS... what? :|

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:18 pm »
Frames Per Second/ First Person Shooter.

Game Terms

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:03 pm »
The world of emulation is awesome. You should get into it. Like, seriously.

I do believe that FPS, in that context, refers to first person shooter. What you do is you run around as someone with a gun. And you shoot stuff.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 09:17:10 pm »
I know what first person shooter is, just not what it's been abreviated to. After spending the night at one of my friends house and playing Halo3 and A Lot of Star Wars Battle Front II I've gotten better at shooting games. Though I still can't PvP unless it's againts a five year old.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:13 pm »
No, you're good when I'm against you but you have a turret. And you beat a nine year old all the time!! What are you talking about?!  :lol:

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 10:30:08 pm »
Western RPG seem to go under represented here. If you liked the fast paced combat of trigger as oppside to many other time of RPGs then try out Knights of the Old Republic. Baldur's Gate full of detail and freedom yet unlike Oblivion and such there is still a clear and intresting plot. If your new to RPG there is a Deus ex or system shock with is an AMAZING hybrid of RPG and FPS.

Man, I LOVED Oblivion but whoo that plot was DRY!  Fun game, though.  Not to mention they spent all the $$$ for the game on Patrick Stewart and his once scene and the jabroni from Ronin (which is still a great movie).  FFVI.....III?....VI?.......yea VI was a great game too, as was Mario RPG.  Just recently played FFIV.....II?.......IV?.......yea IV not too long ago and was laughing out loud, alone, at how ridiculous the dialogue was.

I never played CC either...tried to get it working on emulation and let's just say it didnt go well.  Also, while not "RPG'S" per se. the Ogre Battle games were great.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:36 pm »
Well, then you're in for a treat, Asafigow, because the GBA & DS has a shitton of great RPGs & SRPGs (Strategy RPGs ala FFTactics)...

GBA

Advance Wars - Great SRPG series revolving around a more modern warfare theme (instead of knights & mages you get soldiers & tanks)
Breath of Fire & Breth of Fire II - Great 16-Bit (SNES & Sega Genesis era) games. II is one of the best in the series even.
Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) & Fire Emblem & the Sacred Stones - Another great, classic SRPG series, much like Advance Wars, only this one is the basic swords & sorcery stuff.
Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age - Two of GBA's greatest RPGs. You should definitely check these out.
Mega Man Battle Network I-VI - Great series of games whose genre is part action RPG & part card battler (gameplay is better than it sounds, but can be hit or miss with some people)...Story's kind of campy, but I think still fun.
Riviera: The Promised Land - Probably my fav GBA RPG. Great series (Dept. Heaven) of uniquely styled games.
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon - Another oldshcool gem SRPG. The Shining Force series is a great step to take if you're new to SRPGs, I think. Gives you the basics in a fairly easy to manage way.
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - Probably my fav GBA SRPG (and in general one of my fav games, I think). Lots of great customization. This is what FFT fans wanted when they heard about FFTA (which is ok in its own right).
Tales of Phantasia - Another great RPG from that bygone 16-Bit era. Kind of nerfed, but that's actually a good thing because the old encounter rate was GRUELING. The only in the "Tales of..." I've played, but I hear the rest are great too.
Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone - 2nd entry in the Dept. Heaven series. Interesting take on the SRPG genre.

NDS

Disgaea - Since you don't have a PS2, I assume you haven't played the other version. This is a great SRPG. One of the best.
Final Fantasy IV - This is the version of FFIV you should play.
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - The first of the series comes out in English, finally. You don't need to play this one to get the other ones, but you might as well play this one since it's pretty good.
Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time - If you liked the other one (or, wait, did you play Superstar Saga for GBA?), you will probably like this one too.
Mega Man Star Force - The spiritual continuation of the Battle Network games. Minor changes in gameplay, but still just as fun a series.

Lots of great NDS RPGs on the horizon as well...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:00:35 pm by V_Translanka »

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2009, 10:44:12 pm »
And the crapload of FF Remakes I'm going to let him borrow eventually, AND My own RPG collection...