Author Topic: Locating Event Pointers?  (Read 1870 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Locating Event Pointers?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:09 pm »
I know where the indexes are from the NA Offsets, but is there a way to actually find them at all?  I'm specifically looking for "Event: 1BF"s events.  I need to repointer that to empty space for some adding on to CT.  Along with dialogue.

Actually, could you explain how to expand on dialogue as well?  I haven't worked with any of that before so I'm not sure how to work it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:41:59 pm by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Event Pointers?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:46 pm »
Hmm, what could that something possibly be? *scratches head* 8)

First thing we'll need to know is the stride of the pointers -- do you happen to know offhand if they're two or three bytes apiece? As long as we can find the pointers themselves and know how long they are, I suspect Microsoft Excel can handle this one in a jiffy. We can put up a list of specific event offsets too.

EDIT: I have no clue whether it can be done in Temporal Flux though -- I'm woefully behind in Flux event editing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:48:44 pm by FaustWolf »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:22 pm »
3CF9F0   3CFFFF   PTR   N   "Pointers to Location Events (first at 368000, 513 packets, non-contiguous,
Three-byte "stride".
Can you explain what you mean by "expand on dialog"?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:48:32 pm »
How to explain it..like.  A brand new string index to hold more dialogue for more locations?  I don't think you can do that right now as it'll just cancel itself out.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:18:11 am »
Here's an Excel file list of all the event pointers and event starting addresses. I'm really hoping that event indices just follow in order, with Event 0 receiving the first pointer, Event 1 receiving the second, etc., etc. Let me know if event sizes in bytes is helpful, and I can update this.

EDIT: Ewww, I just re-read Vehek's post and I'm hoping the "noncontiguous" observation doesn't unravel this document's usefulness...

RELIEF EDIT: Oh good, thanks Geiger!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:48:14 am by FaustWolf »

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:22 am »
I'm really hoping that event indices just follow in order.  I'm hoping the "noncontiguous" observation doesn't unravel this document's usefulness...

The event pointers are in order.  The event data is non-contiguous.

As for creating a new string, just find an index with no text and add your own dialogue.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:00:01 am »
Ah!  Thanks Geiger, and thank you Faust.  Those are perfect ^_^

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:35 pm »
Double post but...Would I have to actually hex all this dialogue in and point it?  I've tried modifying the "StringIndex" in Temporal Flux, and by doing so, it just reverts back to it's original value.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:05:45 pm »
Silly question, but are you writing to memory after making the changes you want?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:25:02 pm »
Yes, I am.  I've tried changing it, adding a new text box, then saving it.  But everytime I seem to reload the rom or map, it just reverts back >_<.  I think what I can do is change the value for that area once, work all the dialogue I need in, save the rom and test.  If it shows up then yes, it's working.  It might just be the issue that it reverts back when you reload the rom itself.  I'll check that out later.  I'm possibly going home early because of emotional distress from yesterday's little thing with personal business, so if I do, I'll check it out around 1 or so.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:36:09 pm »
The string index address is determined dynamically by Flux.  You really shouldn't be trying to use Flux and create new dialogue outside of it at the same time, and I'm hard pressed to think of why you'd want to.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:14 pm »
Well, I thought I could change the string Index in flux to work with it but that didn't work.  And from what I tested at school, you can change the index in hex, load it up in flux and work with it, but once you click "Update" or "Write to Mem", it reverts back.  I'll find a different way of doing it later on, but the dialogue really needs to be moved because it's almost writing over the character stats if it goes any further.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 02:57:58 pm »
I'll find a different way of doing it later on, but the dialogue really needs to be moved because it's almost writing over the character stats if it goes any further.

If you edit the dialogue in Flux, it will take care of relocating strings and the event record for you.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »
Really?  Neat.  I hope it works how I think it will.