Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 192677 times)

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1830 on: October 18, 2010, 11:52:40 pm »
I got to the last dungeon in FFI (GBA Remake) and just stopped. Literally halted. I lost ALL interest - I got to that point from the beginning in a day, after all.
Also, I'm on the final boss of Dragon Quest V and he's ball bustingly difficult. I died against him and had to restart the ENTIRE FINAL DUNGEON. The prospect of returning to grinding scares the willies out of me.
In other RPG news, I recently discovered Final Fantasy III (SNES) can be played with two controllers, so my friend Mormon Jesus and I attempted a game and named the characters horrible things that will ruin the upcoming drama. That really is very very fun and highly recommended for any RPGophiles with similar minded friends.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:26 am »
Just got Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon and it is BEAUTIFUL.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1832 on: October 19, 2010, 12:34:13 am »
Just got Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon and it is BEAUTIFUL.

I keep forgetting that game exists. I remember it looking really pretty but I've never really bothered to look up anything about it. Maybe I'll buy it sometime.

I'm playing Pokemon White (and now Black). I've done most of what I can do now, beaten the Elite Four and Adeku the second time round, fought Cynthia, fought the Game Freak director, etc. My party's currently lv70s. I really love this game, there's so much to do and it just feels... right. It could do with a VS Seeker, but christ, I spent hours just fighting the rich family in Sazanami Town and the sports players in the domes (they reset every day). I really love the new pokemon too, as well as the choice to have you use Isshu monsters until post-E4. My only problem there is the feeling that they intended some of them to be evolutions of old pokemon, but then decided against it due to the Isshu-only rule. For example, Mamanbou totally looks like a Luvdisc evo, and the afrobull looks like a Tauros evo. Shinpora could even be an Unown evo! Look at the head!

But yeah, uhhh great game and all!

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: October 19, 2010, 01:30:00 am »
I remember telling my friend in Elementary school there would NEVER be Pokemon White and Black due to percepted racism (or something.) I was wrong.
I'll wait a year after Black/White to buy the 3rd version that's always infinitely superior to the original.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: October 19, 2010, 09:46:28 am »
Pokemon GRAY!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1835 on: October 19, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »
Pokemon GRAY!

It probably will be called Gray/Grey! There's even a grey dragon legendary!

http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/pokedex/kyuremu/

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: October 19, 2010, 03:19:42 pm »
Did anyone here about Cave Story Wii?  Nicalis finally got around to fixing it.  The soundtrack is actually a decent alternative to the original, and they made the game actually work.  Normally I'd give them a high five, but for taking 7 months to make your game worth playing, you get a nod of approval.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »
Did anyone here about Cave Story Wii?  Nicalis finally got around to fixing it.  The soundtrack is actually a decent alternative to the original, and they made the game actually work.  Normally I'd give them a high five, but for taking 7 months to make your game worth playing, you get a nod of approval.

What was wrong with it in the first place? I bought it on day one and loved it.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/19/professor-layton-vs-ace-attorney-screenshots-come-to-court/

Of all things ever to be placed into a cross-over... this? 'Shocked' can't even start to describe my reaction... lol

Seriously though, I'm really impressed. Note to self, make sure to get a 3DS.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:54 pm »

What was wrong with it in the first place? I bought it on day one and loved it.
I made a post about it back when it came out.  It's on page 110 if you're interested.  But in a nutshell, at least compared to the original, the soundtrack sucked, the translation was annoying with some of the things they changed, and most of the new modes they made are dumb which basically meant that the only reason to spend $12 on a game you already have for free is slightly upgraded graphics.  There were also a bunch of other glitches and all around annoying additions that just made the game annoying.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »
Huh. I thought the soundtrack was decent and the translation didn't bother me much. I was happy to pay for the game to support it's creator, but if it's better than it was then by all means, i'll go get mine updated.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 06, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »
Radiant Historia.

This game was released a few days ago in Japan, and I have high hopes for it, specifically because of the method of gameplay: time travel. As a player, your main goal is to travel time and space to create an ideal future. Sound familiar?

The game is published by Atlus. Many of the developers of Radiata Stories worked on this, along with music by Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts). So it has good people. Battles are turn-based, take place on a 3x3 grid, and are initiated by contact (no random battles!). Also of note is an "auto-battle" button. For time/space travel, all changes to the timeline are recorded on a chart, which I'm assuming the player can re-access as parallel dimensions. And of course, with control over time, there are multiple endings.

It looks like something us Chrono fans might enjoy. Only two problems: 1) You need a DS; and 2) We have to wait for a North American release date first. :(

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:08 pm »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-05-nintendo-sees-quirky-future-for-ds

Could it be the DS will finish with a bang...? Looks like it... :franky

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »
Mario Sports Mix adds in the inclusion of FF and a DQ character.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=142071

The DQ character is unknown at the moment. you can see the copyright notice on the official site.

I just wish they could put Chrono characters in Nintendo games.....perhaps in the next smash bros. we could see Crono.

thought i also share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4u6ht7TtVo&feature=related

Not sure if I posted this before ( think I did) but you can hear Secret of the Forest, Memories of Green , and Dungeon theme (ALttP). in fact Pokemon BW (G in 2/3 years time) does remind me of CT.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:07:09 pm by Dialga_Palkia »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »
I just finished Tales of Symphonia 2 a few days ago. I REALLY enjoyed that game.