Author Topic: Fall of Guardia / Rise of Porre / CT Cast after Chrono Cross  (Read 8188 times)

Eket

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Fall of Guardia / Rise of Porre / CT Cast after Chrono Cross
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:04:30 pm »
Hello Forum,

I recently finished Chrono Cross for the first time. I've been reading a lot of articles on the Compendium because certain
things just didn't make much sense to me. And there is one thing i still can't really figure out. I know there aren't really
any facts. But i can still form my own opinions / ideas.

Time, which has been divided,
will be unified again now.
-Schala-

Schala says that at the end of CC. I take it that would mean the 2 dimensions would merge somehow. And a new timeline would
most likely form. I came across that in some of the articles here as well, and i agree with that. I found a proposed new
timeline as well and i suppose that would work. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Rise of Porre / Fall of Guardia

Masata Kato states in an interview that they most likely had help outside of the normal flow of time. I've read the theories
on this site. The point is they had help from somewhere. Who? What? Where? How? is something that's completely beyond me. And
i don't think any facts of that are ever mentioned.

In any case this somehow brought about the fall of Guardia. I am a firm believer in the fact that Crono and Marle survived.
As evidenced by the drawings in the orphanage and lucca's letter mentioned 'friends' in the present tense. I can't say when
Lucca wrote this letter though. Had to have been before she was kidnapped in 1015AD. She mentions kid's tomboyism so i'm
guessing kid would be at least 6 or 7. Placing that in 1010 - 1015AD. I will conclude from this that Crono and Marle survived
at least till the burning.

Whatever happened to them after 1015AD is a riddle to me. But somehow they were taken out of the equation and could not help
during the events of Chrono Cross. Lucca says something to this regard near the end. That they no longer exist in this timeline.

After Chrono Cross

So, what happened to all the above described events after CC Concludes? The dimensions never split apart when serge drowned.
And Lynx probably would not exist. The orphanage will never burn, so Lucca will most likely survive the events.
If the fall of Guardia still happens then i could also assume that Crono and Marle would still be alive. As they were alive
before the end of Chrono Cross.

However in the new timeline... Does the Fall of Guardia even happen? Does Porre even Rise to power? I never understood
why the fall of guardia had to happen. Even to this date the anime sequence showing the fall still seems utterly and
completely useless to me.

I want to figure this out for myself somehow. Even if the answer is based on a lot of very loose facts. There has to be some
kind of answer to this.

My own personal opinion is that the fall does not happen, and that Porre never gets that help outside of the normal flow
of time. For the simple fact that it is no longer needed to start whatever events it lead to in Chrono Cross. ( Though
at this point i still do not know what the use of Guardia's Fall was ).
I have to believe the original cast is alive and well though. Because frankly if they don't live, i just can't see the point
of Chrono Trigger anymore. Saving the world only to end up dead a few years later. Just doesn't do it for me.

Anyway, I hope a nice discussion on this could start. I couldn't find another thread on this topic, after the events of Chrono Cross.

- Eket

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of Guardia / Rise of Porre / CT Cast after Chrono Cross
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:51:42 pm »
About the Rise of Porre and Fall of Guardia:

Personally I'm a firm believer of the Dalton theory. Even though he disappeared in a "Golem" portal, we have no clue where the Golems come from, and he may have found his way to the present time. It also matches perfectly with the statement "Outside normal flow of time". Ofcourse he heard about Chrono and Marle's wedding and wanted revenge.

I'm also making a fangame on this called Chrono Vengeance. Watch a small teaser here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFxBnnzNBM

As for the survival of Chrono and Marle, I doubt it. In the FMV we see that Guardia is being slaughtered, and Chrono was the new king at that time and Marle the queen. Or at least, prince and princess. It's not likely that they survived, really. Just because they defeat Lavos doesn't mean they're immortal. And they didn't defeat Lavos because it was so good for them. They could have lived a peaceful life, since The Day of Lavos would be long out of their lifetime.

After CC's dimension unification

Just because the dimensions become one again doesn't mean all the misery of the world has disappeared. I think the Fall of Guardia just as well happened in the new timeline.

Anyway, supposedly Guardia has made a comeback. You get this impression from the General Kid ending. But, the way Radius mentions Guardia, he says it like it doesn't exist anymore.

Maybe Guardia did have some survivors and made a comeback, maybe they didn't. We'll never know for sure, but I intend to let people what I think happened by creating Chrono Vengeance.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:36:52 pm »
Plugging your fan sequel doesn't really answer the question there, DS.

But anyway, I'm curious as hell about this too, especially since the Fall of Guardia also happened in Radical Dreamers. Why would they make such an event happen anyway if it had no relevance to the story?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
I was just noting it, in case he's interested. Soon I'll introduce it to the compendium anyway.

And I didn't know it happened in RD. Where is that said?

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »
Quote from: Radical Dreamers
"We've just come to talk. If there's anything you could tell us about the
Frozen Flame, or perhaps the Acacia Dragoons..."
Hearing these words, a somber look comes over Riddel's face. After a moment,
she begins to speak...
"The Frozen Flame... it was kept in a kingdom to the north for centuries,
legend has it...
With its subtle, mysterious power, it allegedly could guide people and
change history, all while somehow remaining elusive to those who sought it,
or so I have heard.
At the time of that kingdom's downfall, it was seized from its resting
place. Passed from hand to hand, finally it came into the possession of my
father, General Viper.

Assuming of course that this northern kingdom is Guardia and not some other made up on the spot location. There's also the alluded-to Crono death.

Some folks say that RD follows the "you don't bother getting Crono back" ending, but Crono comes back in that ending anyway.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »
Perhaps this article will help shed some light: Fates of the Chrono Trigger Team

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »

I have to believe the original cast is alive and well though. Because frankly if they don't live, i just can't see the point
of Chrono Trigger anymore. Saving the world only to end up dead a few years later. Just doesn't do it for me.

Just doesn't do for ya, eh? Well I so very sorry but some stories end in La La Land, and some don't. In no way does this ruin a story it just not what you wanted. The fall happens completely with out Serge so by the end of CC its still gone, as to whether the cast is dead? I think only Lucca has passed on.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:42:27 pm »
Just doesn't do for ya, eh? Well I so very sorry but some stories end in La La Land, and some don't. In no way does this ruin a story it just not what you wanted. The fall happens completely with out Serge so by the end of CC its still gone, as to whether the cast is dead? I think only Lucca has passed on.
There's a difference between an unhappy or "realistic" ending and whatever this is. We're big enough to handle sad endings, not poorly written "they died for no reason just live with it" endings.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:50:03 pm »
CT is not realistic. I don't believe Square was going for realism when creating CT.

Also, what would the Frozen Flame be doing in Guardia? We know it's not there in 1000 AD.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
Ah, if only someone would create an exhaustive and exhausting  analysis of Porre and Guardia, maybe then we could gather some insight on the matter.
>.>
<.<

Sorry, I'm being facetious.

Anywho, the interview you are referring to is the Game Pro interview, which you can find here.

To quote the relevant section:
Quote from: Masata Kato
Actually, this is not explained in any of the games, but Porre had some kind of intervention or help originating outside of the original flow of history. But if I start to explain this, it will take me a long time to finish, so I'll stop myself here. (laughs) As it doesn't directly have anything to do with the story of Cross, we cut the details out of the game.

Intervention of help originating outside the original flow of history... that merely means something that happened after Marle first traveled back to 600AD is what eventually led to the rise of Porre.

While we can't figure out exactly what caused the Fall of Guardia or the Rise of Porre (which, mind you, might have have separate influences), we can make some good guesses.

In CC the Acacia Dragoons are based in El Nido. However, the islands only exist as a result of the Time Crash and Chronopolis. Therefore, in the timeline after CT but before the Time Crash, the Acacia Dragoons either didn't exist or they remained where they were (which is most likely in the Porre region). If that was the case, then with the existence of El Nido, a military-political organization would have been removed from the Porrean area, which would have created a power vacuum that Porre could have filled.

Of course, at the end of Chrono Trigger 600 AD is also a very different place and we don't totally see the effects of this. Before Chrono time traveled, Frog was never redeemed and he didn't defeat Magus. Afterwards, Frog stands as a hero in 600 AD. Confident in his abilities, having come to terms with his own doubts, and loved by Guardia. What did he do with the remainer of his life, I wonders? Interesting that the Acacia Dragoons were founded around 600AD as well.

Additionally, we aught not forget Belthasar's influence in the events of Chrono Cross. He planned (but not plotted) things to lead Serge to the Time Devourer. Porre and the Masamune played an important role in that. Given that Belthasar had a time machine, one might wonder if he purposely toyed with the nations in order to set things up for Serge.

Lucca says something to this regard near the end. That they no longer exist in this timeline.

True, but she only says that in Home World. Another World is another matter. The most probable reason Crono and Marle didn't help is that they were unaware (assuming that they were still alive and able to help). Belthasar wasn't really big on the whole disclosure thing.

So, what happened to all the above described events after CC Concludes? The dimensions never split apart when serge drowned. And Lynx probably would not exist. The orphanage will never burn, so Lucca will most likely survive the events.
If the fall of Guardia still happens then i could also assume that Crono and Marle would still be alive. As they were alive
before the end of Chrono Cross.

Whoa there, don't get in too much of a hurry. You are putting the cart before the horse, as it were. Would Serge even exist to be not-drowned?

Consider that El Nido exists because of the Time Crash. The Time Crash occured because of Belthasar's experiments in Chronopolis (and the other scientists there following in his footsteps after he left). Belthasar engineered Project Kid to save Schala. That project included the Time Crash. If Schala was saved, then Belthasar would have no reason to engineer Project Kid, so Chronopolis probably wouldn't have had the Time Crash happen, so it might not have been thrown into the past. If it didn't exist in the past, then El Nido wouldn't exist in the present. Thus, no physical location for Serge to inhabit and no chance for him to drown or not.

Of course, Chronopolis' appearance in 12,000 BC might be protected by Time Traveler Immunity (it is a strange occurance so we don't know for sure). If so, El Nido would have still existed and Serge could still exist for the opportunity to drown. Except he was poisoned by a Panther Demon, remember? With no Schala in the DBT, there would have been no storm to blow Wazuki and Miguel off course so they would have never arrived at Chronopolis and Serge would have probably died... unless Schala's attempts to reach Serge are also protected by TTI (again, we don't know).

If Serge does live because he touched the Frozen Flame, then Wazuki would still be corrupted and turned into Lynx and he would have still tried to drown Serge. Kid's time traveled into the past to save serge, which is probably protected by TTI, but her actions only had a 50/50 chance. Given that Serge still exists at the end of CC, we can assume he was saved. But if he lives, that had caused the ruined future to assert itself on the Sea of Eden. Thus, it seems likely that somehow the Day of Lavos returns to 1999 AD (unless the ruined future was caused by the TD, in which case the future remains saved).

Other than that, FATE probably behaved as normal so the "unified" dimension would look amazingly like Another World, only with Serge there (and Serge probably being under FATE's control, since he grows up using records of fate that function properly).

As the Fall of Guardia happened before the dimensions split, it probably still falls and Porre still rises to power.

Crono and Marle might be alive, but if they are dead then Chrono Trigger still has a point. They were never trying to save the future for themselves but for others. If that future is saved, CT has a point. For Lucca it probably depends on if Lynx killed her in the first place. If so, she's probably still dead in the new timeline. If not, then she's probably alive.

Anyway, I hope a nice discussion on this could start. I couldn't find another thread on this topic, after the events of Chrono Cross.

Well for the Fall of Guardia and the Rise of Porre, you might have better luck in the History, Locations, and Artifacts forum. But there has been almost no discussion on the CT cast after Chrono Cross because no one really knows anything. It is all guesswork.

Personally I'm a firm believer of the Dalton theory. Even though he disappeared in a "Golem" portal, we have no clue where the Golems come from, and he may have found his way to the present time. It also matches perfectly with the statement "Outside normal flow of time". Ofcourse he heard about Chrono and Marle's wedding and wanted revenge.

That really isn't a theory. It is more of a random idea that wont die.

Here are some problems with that "theory":

1. Dalton has no known way of getting to the “modern era,” either 600AD, 1000AD, or anything of the sort.
2. Dalton has no known charisma. Even if he reached the modern era, who would listen to him and put him in a position of power?
2a. Dalton can use magic, however. This could be used to impress individuals and build a power base.
3. Dalton was repeatedly defeated by Crono & Co. Causing the Fall of Guardia would have broken his loosing streak.
4. Crono & Co defeated Dalton several times before. Even if Dalton attempted to cause the Fall of Guardia, they could have easily stopped him.
5. Dalton is not himself an unusually intelligent individual. He was sucked into his own gate. He lacks the understanding, knowledge, and finesse needed to bring about the downfall of Guardia or to engineer the Rise of Porre.

The only thing that Dalton has going for him is he might not be dead; indeed, we might say that he is only mostly-dead. There is a slight chance he is alive, but you're better off going through his clothes and look for loose change. But other than maybe, maybe, being alive in 12000 BC, there is no known way to connect him to 1005 AD.

CT is not realistic. I don't believe Square was going for realism when creating CT.

Also, what would the Frozen Flame be doing in Guardia? We know it's not there in 1000 AD.

Different Frozen Flame. The FF in Radical Dreamers is not the same FF in Chrono Cross. Therefore, we do not know that "it's not there in 1000 AD."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:19:49 pm by Thought »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
Kingdoms rise and fall it happens and it isn't any less realistic. Crono and company are very capable fighters I don't think they are dead. I do think they were defeated. In the royal position they were in, they can't go traipsing through the world killing baddies they had to run and manage a FULL WAR. It was a war against an unknown enemy with unknown resources, and an unknown goal. Its not that hard to imagine them loosing their war, but it is hard to imagine them losing their life.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:19 pm »
Here are some problems with that "theory":

1. Dalton has no known way of getting to the “modern era,” either 600AD, 1000AD, or anything of the sort.
2. Dalton has no known charisma. Even if he reached the modern era, who would listen to him and put him in a position of power?
2a. Dalton can use magic, however. This could be used to impress individuals and build a power base.
3. Dalton was repeatedly defeated by Crono & Co. Causing the Fall of Guardia would have broken his loosing streak.
4. Crono & Co defeated Dalton several times before. Even if Dalton attempted to cause the Fall of Guardia, they could have easily stopped him.
5. Dalton is not himself an unusually intelligent individual. He was sucked into his own gate. He lacks the understanding, knowledge, and finesse needed to bring about the downfall of Guardia or to engineer the Rise of Porre.

1. No known way. We know nothing of the portals he creates except that Golems come out of it. I'm not saying it leads directly to 1005 AD-ish or other eras, but there's always a chance. We don't know how his portals react to a human coming inside. Maybe the portals becomes unstable and randomly puts him somewhere in time. Ofcourse he'd have to be very lucky. But if an enigma like the Time Crash can happen, imo something like Dalton appearing in 1005 AD can happen too.

2. His innate magic, and smooth talk. Even though Porre seems nice at the end of CT, he could have convinced them, for example by saying Guardia has incredible treasures that could be Porre's, etc.

3. Yes, your point being? It's not like Dalton's fate is to lose forever.

4. Dalton alone yes. But don't forget he captures three of them after the fall of Zeal. During that time we also see he packs quite a punch. Yes, they defeated him several times. But what if he had Porre's army backing him?

5. Dunno about that. He seemed to have his fair share of knowledge about the Blackbird and Epoch. Even though he only just obtained the Epoch, he immediately understood how it worked and improved it by installing wings on it.

Anyway, I know some people will never agree with the Dalton theory. But I liked him as a character and to me he seems like a guy who could do it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »
2. His innate magic, and smooth talk. Even though Porre seems nice at the end of CT, he could have convinced them, for example by saying Guardia has incredible treasures that could be Porre's, etc.

When do we see an example of Dalton's supposed "smooth talk", exactly?

Even though he only just obtained the Epoch, he immediately understood how it worked and improved it by installing wings on it.

I think the Epoch was made for convenient use for the heroes by Belthasar. Also, do we know whether or not he created the wings or the Blackbird? I forget, but wasn't the Blackbird one of the Gurus inventions? I could be wrong there...but Dalton also installed a switch on the Epoch that a'sploded the Blackbird...not so smart there, was he?

Anyway, I know some people will never agree with the Dalton theory. But I liked him as a character and to me he seems like a guy who could do it.

So you're really only backing this is because of your own preference for the character, not any actual evidence. It's less than a theory, really. It's presumptions based on maybes & what-ifs.

I always thought that w/e influence helped Porre came from the future...I had even thought that it just came from FATE itself because of Grobyc (& StrongArm found in Chronopolis)...but w/e...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:10 pm »
When do we see an example of Dalton's supposed "smooth talk", exactly?

I think the Epoch was made for convenient use for the heroes by Belthasar. Also, do we know whether or not he created the wings or the Blackbird? I forget, but wasn't the Blackbird one of the Gurus inventions? I could be wrong there...but Dalton also installed a switch on the Epoch that a'sploded the Blackbird...not so smart there, was he?

So you're really only backing this is because of your own preference for the character, not any actual evidence. It's less than a theory, really. It's presumptions based on maybes & what-ifs.

Never in CT, but he's the kind of guy that could pull that off.

What do you mean? Yes, he does know the Blackbird and Epoch were made by Belthasar. And even though it was Dalton who installed the lasers on the Epoch, it was actually the hero party that blew up the Blackbird.

Yes. Dalton is the only person alive who bears a definite grudge against Chrono and his friends directly. He hates them and he'd definitely want revenge. And imo it's possible for him to have achieved that. A personal preference indeed. Even though I'm making a fangame around it it will never be true canon, and if other fans don't appreciate it or don't like the theory they don't have to play it. All I'm doing is creating and releasing a fangame showing how Dalton survives and causes the Fall of Guardia, because I think that's how it happened.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 07:20:57 pm »
1. No known way. We know nothing of the portals he creates except that Golems come out of it. I'm not saying it leads directly to 1005 AD-ish or other eras, but there's always a chance. We don't know how his portals react to a human coming inside. Maybe the portals becomes unstable and randomly puts him somewhere in time. Ofcourse he'd have to be very lucky. But if an enigma like the Time Crash can happen, imo something like Dalton appearing in 1005 AD can happen too.

It could, but it could have also transformed him into a "My Little Pony" named Sodomuffin. If we don't know, then we don't know. We can guess wildly, however.

He's about as smooth of a talker as Starscream.

3. Yes, your point being? It's not like Dalton's fate is to lose forever.

The past is an indication of the future. If he had some gleem of competence, then maybe.

4. Dalton alone yes. But don't forget he captures three of them after the fall of Zeal. During that time we also see he packs quite a punch. Yes, they defeated him several times. But what if he had Porre's army backing him?

And don't forget he had help capturing those three, the three didn't fight back, and they had just woken up from surving the Ocean Palace disaster.

5. Dunno about that. He seemed to have his fair share of knowledge about the Blackbird and Epoch. Even though he only just obtained the Epoch, he immediately understood how it worked and improved it by installing wings on it.

If by "fair share of knowledge about the Blackbird" translates into "he knew it existed," then yes. Other than providing a crew for the Blackbird and having others modify the Epoch, how does he display any appreciable degree of knowledge about the things?

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that we have no reason to believe Dalton is responsible. To be fair, we also really had no reason in Chrono Cross to believe that the Time Devourer was a threat, through most the game at least.