Author Topic: CTDS New Dungeon Ideas  (Read 1551 times)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
CTDS New Dungeon Ideas
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:47:53 pm »
So what do you guys think the new dungeon in CTDS will be? I'm stuck between Zeal Dungeon and Singing Mountain. But a new thought came into my head today...

El Nido?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: CTDS New Dungeon Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »
Typical post-game 50 floor FF dungeon?

...Actually, I read the dungeon is open near the end of the game. Maybe you unlock it after finishing everyone's sidequests before Lavos?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:41 pm »

...Actually, I read the dungeon is open near the end of the game. Maybe you unlock it after finishing everyone's sidequests before Lavos?

Perhaps it's a longer dungeon inside Lavos?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:04:24 pm »

Perhaps it's a longer dungeon inside Lavos?

Hey, good point, an entire dungeon inside the shell... I like that.

Although I still think we'll be getting an optional dungeon.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:53:35 am »
A nice, post Queen Zeal superdungeon would be awesome. It could be accesible in The End of Time.

El Nido? Nah, I really can't see it. Besides, how would an entire continent be a dungeon?

I really don't think Singing Mountain will be it. I think SE is doing something entirely new.

Mixmasta_K

• Porrean (+50)
  • T H I N K
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:51:45 am »
The only thing I care about with the new dungeon is whether or not it will be coherent with the plot.
If it's going to be a generic bonus 99F dungeon you need to have everyone at level ** to beat, then I won't be satisfied or interested.

It would be REALLY nice to turn Lavos' insides into a dungeon, but isn't the dungeon supposed to be optional? That would mean you would have to go through the dungeon in order to beat the game.

I think a good thing to consider is what time era needs a dungeon the most. So, here's the list of time eras and their respective dungeons:

Prehistoric:
-Mystic Mts.
-Hunting Ground
-Forest Maze
-Reptite Lair
-Dactyl Nest
-Tyrano Lair

Count = 6

Dark Ages:
-Terra Cave/Beast's Nest
-Mt. Woe
-Ocean Palace
-The Blackbird
-The Black Omen*
-Sun Keep*

Count = 4

Middle Ages:
-Truce Canyon
-Guardia Forest
-Cathedral
-Zenan Bridge
-Denadoro Mts.
-Cursed Woods
-Magic Cave
-Magus' Lair
-Giant's Claw*
-Sunken Desert*
-Northern Ruins*

Count = 8

Present:
-Guardia Forest
-Guardia Castle(prison)
-Heckran Cave

Count = 3

Apocalypse:
-Lavos

Count = 1

Future:
-Lab 16
-Arris Dome
-Sewer Access
-Lab 32
-Proto Dome
-Factory
-Death Peak*
-Sun Palace*
-Geno Dome*

Count = 6

* = Optional to complete the game

I grouped the dungeons that transcend eras into the time that is most coherent with their purpose. For example, the Sun Keep is grouped into the Dark Ages since that is where you first hear of charging a Sun Stone, as well as the fact that you are first introduced to the Sun Palace there.
Also, since I am biased in favor of the plot, Other things were grouped by relevancy as well, like Lavos being in 1999AD.

So, this leaves us with 3 eras in need of a new dungeon: The Dark Ages, Present and Apocalypse.

My vote goes for the present since you get stuck in Zeal for so long that adding to it would ruin it. I also think that making a 1999AD dungeon would require more elaboration in terms of the world map, NPCs, etc.
I'm all in favor of a Lavos shell dungeon, but that's probably not going to happen since it would be too perfect. D:

So, what amazing secret plot-coherent dungeon can we stick in Chrono's back yard? I have two and a half ideas:

1.) Something that would allude to the upcoming war between Guardia and Porre. Think about getting caught in a secret Porrean base, or even starting the war yourself! There's plenty of potential for some powerful enemies, maybe even a Dragon Tank MKII as a miniboss.

2.)Give Chrono his own red portal. I mean, he gets next to no character development in the game besides being a fearless hero that has no problem saving the world right from the get-go. Instead of performing a single task like in Lucca's red portal, you could have the party go through some kind of cloister of trials. It can be in order to prevent something horrible, like a baby Chrono from being killed by someone(maybe a decedent of Lynx? That would be an interesting link to Chrono Cross).

2.5)Either that, or make the portal something along the lines of Cyan's Dream (FFVI). It could be the first defective gate in the game and can allow the party to go to a crazy place, such as inside Chrono's head. I want to find out why Chono is the only guy in the game with massive spiky red hair and have a pure sky-elemental magic heritage. He had to come from somewhere juicy, and I think he is the most mysterious character in the entire Chrono series. Just anything where the party can float around Chrono's past (maybe a nightmare from when he was a kid?) and figure out why he was chosen by the Entity to be the real hero of time (Eat your heart out, Link).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:35:36 am »
Bah, my guess is Singing Mountain or Zeal Dungeon - leaning towards the Zeal Dungeon.  Everyone loves Zeal and can't seem to get enough of it!

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:59:09 pm »
El Nido doesn't exist yet remember.

I would prefer it being in the End of Time, so it could have a thing from every era. I like the idea inside Lavos. It could contain parts from the Hunting Ground, Tyrano Lair, Zeal, Mountain of Woe, Black Bird, Truce Canyon, Magus's Castle, Northern Ruins, a longer Zenan bridge, Leena's Square, Heckran Cave, Lab 16, Sewer Acces, Proto Dome, Factory, End of Time, and Black Omen. Or like areas with their sprite designs.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:45:02 pm »
How about a sort of Cave of Trials in 2300AD using the prototype Coliseum sprite(built as sort of a mutant temple dedicated to Lavos─I think some see where I'm going with this); consisting of about 15 floors of proceeding difficulty with the final floor packed with 'super-Lavoids' and an intelligent 'super-Lavos' that explains his purpose before engaging Crono and co. Obviously, this would only be New Game+ and the prerequisite being that the party hasn't successfully engaged Lavos yet. Would be pretty sweet, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:48:40 pm by BROJ »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 02:27:45 pm »
And maybe if you beat it you get a different ending. That sounds awesome too.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
And maybe if you beat it you get a different ending. That sounds awesome too.
Yeah, it would be sort of a bitter-sweet ending, though... If SE doesn't do a dungeon of this scale I feel that it would motivate me to do it myself. ¡Vive de largo la tiempo de Primavera de la Juventud!

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:39:19 pm »
I would love to see something new in 2300 AD. I mean, it is the most.... different.

Anyway, signing mountain sounds good.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the Lavos shell dungeon idea. There's a problem. Lavos' shell... isn't that big.

I have an idea where there is a root to the center of the earth that has propelled LAvos out. Although that would turn the final boss fight upside down I think it would be awsome to battle Lavos in the Center of the Earth.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:11 pm »
I have an idea where there is a root to the center of the earth that has propelled LAvos out. Although that would turn the final boss fight upside down I think it would be awsome to battle Lavos in the Center of the Earth.
T_rod *ahem*
How about a sort of Cave of Trials in 2300AD using the prototype Coliseum sprite(built as sort of a mutant temple dedicated to Lavos─I think some see where I'm going with this); consisting of about 15 floors of proceeding difficulty with the final floor packed with 'super-Lavoids' and an intelligent 'super-Lavos' that explains his purpose before engaging Crono and co. Obviously, this would only be New Game+ and the prerequisite being that the party hasn't successfully engaged Lavos yet. Would be pretty sweet, if you ask me.
My dungeon would get deeper and deeper into the earth until one reaches Lavos; the only difference would be that my idea would be a Mutant temple built in dedication to their quasi-god─Lavos.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 05:48:11 pm »
I wouldn't care much for a Cave of Trials - the repetition and growing difficulty (requiring obsessive level-grinding) end up turning me off big time.  The final Crater in FFVII was about as long as any storyline-related dungeon should be.

If it was completely optional (a la the Star Ocean series), it wouldn't be so bad.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:22 pm »

lolz Diablo clone!  jk  Good idea, really.  I'd play that.