Author Topic: Tearjerking moments from Video Games.  (Read 6583 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Tearjerking moments from Video Games.
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »
The idea for this thread was spawned by the ending of Final Fantasy X, which I've just finished, and I'm proud to admit I did shed a few tears in that FMV (and was also downright pissed to know I just spent a good 50 hours in the game so I could watch the main character *SPOILERBLOCK!!!*).

What games have touched you in a way that you could never forget? What moments have reached the innermost depths of your soul with sorrow from it's story, even feeling the utmost empathy for fictional characters? Discuss things of the sort here...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Tearjerking moments from Video Games.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:54:15 pm »
Although it's not a videogame per se, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children makes me tear up when Aeris' ghost walks out of the cathedral and Cloud says, "I'm home." EPIC juxtaposition of sadness and hope.

For some reason I always got misty when "To Faraway Times" plays during the Chrono Trigger credits. I think I just didn't want the game to end...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:56:03 pm by FaustWolf »

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:17:41 am »
I might be the first to say this... But I really didn't feel sad, ata ll when Aeris died in FFVII. It was probably because of the graphics... I could count Cloud's polygons on one hand, it I felt like I couldn't connect to something like that. If it was redone with say, FFXII graphics then my perspective could be changed... Though I agree with what you said about AC.

I cryed in Tales of Symphonia, When you're supposed to think That Lloyd's little best friend Genis sacrificed his life for him ala Being crushed in a forcefeld that progressively grows smaller... So brutal, and Genis is portrayed as such a shy little boy that it's like watching a newborn puppy get killed right before your eyes. Tragic.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:05 am »
When I was very young I played Final Fantasy 4 for the first time (though it was known as FF2 back in those days).  When Edge had to kill his own parents?  WATERWORKS erupted, I tell you.  My mom nearly banned me from playing the game anymore.  I still find the scene very poignant even today.

jade

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:25:16 am »
FF7 made me shed a small tear.  Lost Odyssey made me cry a couple of times.  FFX had me flat out bawling. 

i admit, all 3 times i was very much afraid that someone would walk in and i would be busted  :oops: :lol:

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:34:19 am »
I can't remember a moment in games where I was brought to tears, in fact the ONLY media the did was FullMetal Alchemist. That Anime shall always hold a vary special place because of that.

Yourgingerestfan

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 03:39:13 am »
chrono cross whenever star stealing girl plays
lost oddysey when every time  lirums spirit appears

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:55 am »
Quote from: Tact
and was also downright pissed to know I just spent a good 50 hours in the game so I could watch the main character *SPOILERBLOCK!!!*

Come back from non-unexistence at the end of the credits?

Well, anyways, as for the ones I can recall...

Chrono Trigger - Crono's sacrifice really pushed him above & beyond any other silent protagonist ever in RPG history...His return & the scene w/Marle on top of Death Peak (don't give me any of that, "But you can do that with Lucca!" crap) is also simply one of the most touching scenes in an RPG.

Chrono Cross - The Burning Orphanage, of course...to a lesser extent the Water Dragon Isle with Kid & Serge as well...They really brought home her character and made her the one stand-out person in the game that got really good character development. Kid is easily one of the best reasons to give CC a chance.

Final Fantasy VI - SO many scenes you can talk about from this one FF...Gau's touching WoR moment after confronting his father...The glimpses into Shadow's past life through the dreams that secretly haunt him...The death of Cyan's countrymen, King & family (and the sad reuniting after the Ghost Train sequence)...BUT, I'd have to go with the Rachel, Locke & Phoenix sequences.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Another FF with plenty of scenes to choose from...Finding out the truth about Ramza's father's death...Being forced to fight Ramza's brother (the cool one who wasn't secretly a prick)...probably others that I can't think of because it's been a while since I've played it, but I normally think back fondly on the scene I think of as, "Algus Being An Ultimate Ass"...The death of Tata is the reason why I always unequip Algus when he joins my party, equip him with useless abilities, and either never heal him, never help him in battle, or sometimes just wen out & "killed him" (NPCs just get knocked out)...Smug bastard...>_>

Megaman Battle Network - They finally gave a Megaman character a personal touch, a history & a background (or at least good a good one). The connections between Lan & Megaman are touching and are what made me stick with this series spin-off above all of the others.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:07 am »
MGS3, when we find out the truth about The Boss...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:26:43 am »
Or how about the ending of MGS4...  For those who have finished it.  DAMN.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:36 am »
Or how about the ending of MGS4...  For those who have finished it.  DAMN.

You aren't saying you have, are you? If you spoiil it for me I'll kill you.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:34 am »
My lips are sealed!

or are they...?

Solid Snake and Raiden are the same person!  Just split personalities of the same person.  And Big Boss is actually Spiro Agnew.  Oh, and Chuck Norris and Solid Snake team up.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:58:35 am »
If the Snake and Raiden thing is true i'm gonna bust a nut. Fucking Raiden...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:28:09 pm »
Don't worry, Tact!  None of that was true!

Or was it...?

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile