Author Topic: Harle-origin and accent  (Read 5307 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Harle-origin and accent
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 06:47:48 am »
By any chance, is the Kansai dialect similar or close to Magus' way of speaking in the Japanese version of CT? He was particularly disrespectful there (unlike Janus).

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 07:02:38 pm »
Kansai accents are usually localized as a Southern or Brooklyn-type accent. I can't imagine Magus with either one @_@

He was more brusque than rude, I think. Though this does bring up a lot more questions, since he raised Kid in Radical Dreamers, why would she still have a Euro-urchin kind of accent instead of his "cultured autistic" speaking pattern?

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Once and Future King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »
Now we just need to figure out Harle's accent. While from a gameplay aspect it could be considered opposite to Kid's, she was full grown (That is, about the same as she would be years later) when the orphanage burnt, suggesting she would have had her mannerisms set already before Kid adopted her Australian accent.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 06:23:28 pm »
Harle's accent is going to be Italian.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 06:38:02 pm »
Is there a particular reason thats is going to be Italian?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 06:53:43 pm »
FaustWolf was going to go more into detail into but never got around to it due to his work with the Obama campaign.

Plus, seeing as how the Harlequin was originally an Italian concept, it makes more sense.

Also, watch this video to see how it could work: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AsgawuunmrQ

EclipsedExistence

• Earthbound (+15)
  • "Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 03:50:20 am »
I think that regional dialects makes sense for how they all have different accents. Just like in the world English has many different dialects just by region, let alone upbringing, it can be assumed that the same is true in the Chronoverse.

And big, diverse cities, like Termina, also spew out many dialects.

So, it would go to assume that Harle, despite her origins, would have acquired her accent from both her own personal learning of the Chronopian (is there a word meaning "derived from the Chronoverse?") language, as well as contact with other speakers of the Chronopian language, which I shall henceforth call Chronopian. We can't call it English, as it would have developed independently of our language, especially considering it had no contact for linguistic imperialism. We can only assume that Chronopian is mutually intelligible with English/Japanese/any other language CT/CC has been translated to.

Wow, I went off-topic.

If the above made no sense, it is because I am typing this in the middle of the night, like a fool.