Author Topic: Harle-origin and accent  (Read 5308 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Harle-origin and accent
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 03:06:42 pm »
Was Cyrus actually from Choras?  I just thought he was buried there...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:52 pm »
I assumed his origin was Choras, but I do not know for sure.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 03:27:34 pm »
To my understanding, Cyrus is assumed to be from Choras to help justify why Frog burried him there (as opposed to in Guardia). Of course, Frog still burried him in the stone floor of a decomposing castle, so I am not sure any justification really suffices. Especially given medieval forms of travel, he would have been lugging around the body for several weeks.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:52:06 pm »
That makes sense about Cyrus being from Choras...

This is off topic, but I've always wondered what the Guardia hierarchy of the Chrono universe truly is.  Were Truce (Guardia), Porre, Choras, and Medina all separate states?  Or were they all just provinces within the world wide Kingdom of Guardia?

I've heard theories for both and just haven't been able to wrap my mind 100% around either idea.  Then there are the theories that it's two kingdoms, Guardia and Medina, ladee dadee da.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 02:57:01 am »
Just with the MATE that she uses, but in Chrono trigger there is no Australian accent...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
Actually, "mate" isn't limited to Australia. It is used fairly frequently by chavs in England, or so I learned from Dr. Who. Presumably other use it as well.

Rose: "If you are an alien, then how comes you sound like you're from the North?"
The Doctor: "Lots of planets have a North!"

chronos_cat

• Iokan (+1)
  • check out the entire ChronoTrigger Unglued series!
    • View Profile
    • www.newgrounds,com
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:58:25 pm »
hmm...perhaps it was like what thought said before, the Harle psuedo-guise, with Kid's accent. It could be just a cover up that she is Shala. Shala is percieved as being quiet and more feminine, whereas Kid is the opposite. Nobody would really guess she is Shala (just looking at the 2 personalities).

Then again, she could have just picked it up somewhere as she was traveling before she met Serge. After the orphanage was burnt down, we don't have a clear idea of where she went to live or anything. Perhaps she went somewhere with Australian accents.

P.S. I was pretty much joking in my earlier post when i made the Harle/Pierre related statement, just to clear things up.

Satoh

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:44:32 am »
If I remember correctly, the accent system was devised by the english translation team, in order to do less work(IE writing most of the lines only once, as opposed to writing lines specifically for all 50 characters). Also if I remember correctly, Kid spoke with a Kansai dialect in the original. Kansai being a somewhat slang style of japanese... sort of disrespectful or unrefined in certain areas of Japan, but considered the norm in others. Another note about Kansai is that, when directly translated, the sentences typically line up fairly close to traditional Japanese, meaning that they had to take liberties with the english dialog in order to show that Kid spoke differently.

Note, that some of my explanation may be incorrect, as I speak very very little Japanese, and I read the information about Jp Chrono Cross a significant while ago.....

On the topic of accents and where they come from, where exactly would Korcha obtain his, uhh.... "unique" accent? (Ok screw it, its bad... terrible, horrible, like his hair... his weapon, his pantslessness and everything else about him... I despise KorCHA with a paCHAn... O.<;  )
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:09:50 am by Satoh »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:06:29 pm »
Excellent information Satoh, I was unaware of Kid's speech pattern in the Japanese version.

At risk of diverging too much from the original topic (Harle/Pierre), perhaps we can use Kid's dialogue style to reconstruct some vague details of her life before arriving in El Nido. Specifically, I'd like to visit the possibility that she did not develop her accent until after the orphanage episode. Here's what little we have of her orphanage-era speech patterns from the English script:

[Kid]
   It's burning...!
   Our '"home"' is burning!
   Lucca...
   All my friends...
   They're, they're...!!

Why...?
   Why did this happen!?

You...
   Are you going to go away?
   Are you going to leave me?
   I'm going to be left all
   on my own again, aren't I?
   Everybody I have ever
   loved has gone far, far
   away...

No!
   Don't leave me!
   What'll happen to me?

Really!?
   Do you mean that?

Your cheek...
   It's wet...?
   Thank you...
   Thank you for
   saving me...
   Will I...
   Will I ever
   see you again?

What?
   Where did
   you go...?

No!
   Come back!!!

Don't leave me...
   Please, no...!
   Don't leave me all alone!

I see no hint of her Australian/cockney/whatever-it-actually-is accent here. Three questions:

1.) Are there any words or phrases young Kid uses here that should reveal an accent, if she presently has an accent?

2.) Anyone know if young Kid's speech pattern in the Japanese script differs from the pattern she uses in 1020?

3.) Logically, could an eleven-year-old develop an accent foreign to his or her native region once introduced into a foreign land or culture where such accent prevails? I have an uncle who grew up in Pennsylvania and moved to Texas while in his twenties, has lived there ever since, and has not adopted a southern US accent. But is an eleven-year-old too far into his or her linguistic development to adopt a new accent?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:28 pm »
If it's an unrefined kind of dialect in the Japanese version that makes sense since she was basically on her own through her developmental life, right? So her language might've sunk a bit being around all sorts of sordid types...?

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:07 pm »
Excellent information Satoh, I was unaware of Kid's speech pattern in the Japanese version.

At risk of diverging too much from the original topic (Harle/Pierre), perhaps we can use Kid's dialogue style to reconstruct some vague details of her life before arriving in El Nido. Specifically, I'd like to visit the possibility that she did not develop her accent until after the orphanage episode. Here's what little we have of her orphanage-era speech patterns from the English script:

[Kid]
   It's burning...!
   Our '"home"' is burning!
   Lucca...
   All my friends...
   They're, they're...!!

Why...?
   Why did this happen!?

You...
   Are you going to go away?
   Are you going to leave me?
   I'm going to be left all
   on my own again, aren't I?
   Everybody I have ever
   loved has gone far, far
   away...

No!
   Don't leave me!
   What'll happen to me?

Really!?
   Do you mean that?

Your cheek...
   It's wet...?
   Thank you...
   Thank you for
   saving me...
   Will I...
   Will I ever
   see you again?

What?
   Where did
   you go...?

No!
   Come back!!!

Don't leave me...
   Please, no...!
   Don't leave me all alone!

I see no hint of her Australian/cockney/whatever-it-actually-is accent here. Three questions:

1.) Are there any words or phrases young Kid uses here that should reveal an accent, if she presently has an accent?

2.) Anyone know if young Kid's speech pattern in the Japanese script differs from the pattern she uses in 1020?

3.) Logically, could an eleven-year-old develop an accent foreign to his or her native region once introduced into a foreign land or culture where such accent prevails? I have an uncle who grew up in Pennsylvania and moved to Texas while in his twenties, has lived there ever since, and has not adopted a southern US accent. But is an eleven-year-old too far into his or her linguistic development to adopt a new accent?

I know where. In the start, Serge's Dream, she said:
Kid: Oii!
What the bloody hell happened?!
(When going up to the main chamber)

I live in Australia, and I recognise Oii as the classic Aussie "Hey".And also bloody hell is used in Australia and New Zealand.

There is a Moto that says : Aussie Aussie Aussie oii oii oiii

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:52:12 am »
 :lol:Actually, like stated, in the flashback Kid does NOT have that accent, and it's developed after the burning of the orphanage when she's all alone.

And truth be told, I actually have 2 accents that depend on my mood. A writers accent (which I often use while writing too) and the Aussie style like Kid's (which tends to get in my humorous nature). xD Often I kept pondering if that was the result of me hanging out with english friends of mine, but then again the latter's an easier/straight forward way to express one's self.  :lol: And it wasn't difficult to develop an accent like that, but that differs from person to person.

Yourgingerestfan

• im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 03:53:33 pm »
when horrible things happen in a childs life  they can be affected many different ways maybe the accent is caused by a trauma from luccas death or even to protect kid as it makes her feel stronger ?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 03:57:23 pm »
I've seen and its widely know people can gain or lose an accent in several years. Why all the fuss?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 04:08:24 pm »
Alrighty then, on the basis of everyone's observations, we have found that Kid acquired her accent AFTER the orphanage burning, probably while living amongst "sordid types" as a vagrant thief. I always suspected such, but this is the first time I've seen in-depth discussion on the subject. Unfortunately I can't come up with any more in-game evidence we can draw from to further analyze where Kid might have lived during the interim between the orphanage attack and seeking out Viper Manor. Unless there are clues in Radical Dreamers?

I'm partial to the Choras hypothesis though.