Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 501143 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2295 on: March 09, 2009, 03:28:05 am »
Salad can easily be a dinner. If you completely against the *veggie* stigma then toss in some cheese and ham, trust me its good.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2296 on: March 09, 2009, 03:32:08 am »
Had cheese and some bell paper. Might be dinner in the fact that it's nutritious, but it really does nothing to curb an appetite. Still, a kitchen is not complete unless it has some kind of meat or substantial food in it.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:00 am »
frustrations:  I forgot my belt and Star Trek: Nemesis. 

edit: and my exam this past Friday...did not walk out of there with my head held high...bah!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:47:53 am by placidchap »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:15 am »
Frustration: I don't know anything about lettuce, but that's all we seem to have in our kitchen (about three or four kinds, can't tell them apart). Which part of the lettuce is actually filling?
Also, salad does NOT count as dinner. I will never be able to understand vegetarians or dieters.
Vegetarians don't just eat lettuce and salads. They eat tofu and meat substitutes that can almost be as tasty as the real thing.

But not always.

My current frustration is my history teacher. I was drawing a blank on an essay we had to write, so I wrote that I wanted to talk to her later. I got a 58 on this test, even though my calculations say I should've gotten a 71. And now she's only 'thinking' about letting me try again.

Even though she probably knows that I have an IEP that states I can have extra time.

Also, I can't seem to focus on anything anymore, other than sleeping and writing and COMPUTER.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »
Frustration: I don't know anything about lettuce, but that's all we seem to have in our kitchen (about three or four kinds, can't tell them apart). Which part of the lettuce is actually filling?
Also, salad does NOT count as dinner. I will never be able to understand vegetarians or dieters.

You are probably thinking of iceberg lettuce, the worst food in existence. Not that it tastes bad, but it has so little of anything that it is a joke to call it food.

Unfortunately, most salads you see in the U.S. are based on that stuff. There are heartier lettuces, and of course plenty of things to add. Eggs and cheese are good options (which not all veggiterians avoid). But lacking that, one tends to need legums of tofu to get what you need (that is, protein).

Though salads tend to be horrible for dieters for the simple reason they too often think "salad=low calorie" and thus pile on the dressing. I've seen salads with more calories than a big mac. Its sad, but true.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:28 pm »
I love iceberg lettuce. My dad always bought romaine when I was a kid. Its okay, but it's no iceberg. Different strokes for different folks!

I agree about the problem of filling yourself up on just lettuce, though. Speaking literally, you can't do it. Lettuce doesn't have enough calories. What you can do is look beyond lettuce. Avocados are a very rich food and will go a long way toward filling you up. If you have onions, you can caramelize them and make French onion soup--the "meatiest" meat-free food I've ever eaten. With a smattering of all the usual veggies--such as carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.--you can make soup or gazpacho. Add barley, split peas, or beans for a very filling experience. You could take a butter squash and turn it into a rich soup with a little cream and some spices. You could stuff a bell pepper with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and radishes. Broccoli and asparagus can be very filling, especially with pasta or rice. Add cheese to the list, and your options are endless. Ditto with potatoes and portabello mushrooms. Experiment with less common veggies, like jicama; those go very well in salads. And then, of course, there is tofu.

Open your mind, and you can fill yourself up with veggies. It just takes some creativity, some time, and some money.

But, honestly? Meat and fish are awesome. Add those to your diet, and life is ten times better.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:02 pm »
I like iceberg lettuce too.  Not so great by itself, but it adds crispness to sammiches that other condiments can't.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »
Not to mention it's easier to prepare.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2303 on: March 10, 2009, 01:44:26 am »
Well, it's official. My uncle has only been breathing six times an hour recently. He will not make it through the night.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:23 am »
Man, I remember going through that with my grandparents last year. Only thing you can do at this point is support the family emotionally. Really sorry to hear that.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:49 am »
My deepest condolences, Zephira. I hope you and your family are able to pull this hard time.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 10, 2009, 03:27:15 am »
I pray you and your family find the strength and support to get through this Zephira.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2307 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:14 am »
Thanks... I'm just worried about my Grandma. She's taking it the worst. She's pretty old too, I don't want this to be too much of a strain for her.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #2308 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »
Aw, I'm sorry. Just ignore the RP and stuff until you want to come back. I'm seriously sorry about your family, Zephira. Heres hoping you guys get through it soon.

On the brighter side, I'm the only one I know who loves Broccoli, and Spinach. THOSE are what I look for in a salad.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 10, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »
Meh, spinach is alright as long as it's just regular spinach. And so is broccili, but it'd be one of the last thing I choose.

Sorry about your family Zephira :(