Author Topic: Why do we love the Chrono series so much?  (Read 7899 times)

Andryu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Why do we love the Chrono series so much?
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:14:09 am »
I've been wondering lately what makes the Chrono series so special. Why do I idolise it? Is it because of the story or the whole impression? What makes it better from other RPG games? I'm curious about your opinions.

Jetsman5ian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we love the Chrono series so much?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:24:29 am »
Personally I love it because it has this special feel to it that you don't get in many other games.  Its a special universe where everything fits together unexpectedly so and the adventures it entails are just mind-bending.  Good nostalgia too, which ties in with the magical feeling the games gives you in the first place.  Just very artful storytelling and beautiful gamemaking.

Andryu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:11:09 pm »
Personally I love it because it has this special feel to it that you don't get in many other games.
I couldn't agree more.
Its a special universe where everything fits together unexpectedly so and the adventures it entails are just mind-bending.
But CT has rather simple main plot and I would say that the story is... expectable. In spite of that fact there is some kind of special feeling I get when I play it.
So I  am still wondering - what is the source of this feeling (especially in CT)?

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »
the reason why we love the chrono series so much is probably because its a very unique RPG. all the FF, seem like there all the same with the attacks ect. but the Chrono series is like the first of its kind. nothing can replace it except a sequel to it.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:15 pm »
It's one of those things that will hit you in one way or another. Some of us, such as me, are attracted to the time travel aspects then are drawn in to the possibilities exhibited by the story and the characters. Others are intrigued by the story and then just sit around enjoying the hell out of it.

It really depends on what you see in the story. I see a story that could use some improvement but is a good one nonetheless, with solid plot logic, and for a time travel story that is rare indeed, especially when it comes to video games.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:57:07 pm »
It's the way the graphics, music and gameplay are so balanced- each are perfect. The characters, the stories and the locales are all overwhelmingly cool and of course there's that original flare not found in other games.

Andryu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:38:10 am »
I see a story that could use some improvement but is a good one nonetheless, with solid plot logic, and for a time travel story that is rare indeed, especially when it comes to video games.
Good point.

Anyway, do you know another good RPG game that touch a time travel subject?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:45:53 pm »
The music and graphics were good for its time on the SNES.  I personally loved how they made the timelines and such fit together perfectly with the plot.  Most "Time Traveling" games only have like 1-2 eras.  But this one had so many more and made it fit exactly right.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 01:59:45 pm »
I see a story that could use some improvement but is a good one nonetheless, with solid plot logic, and for a time travel story that is rare indeed, especially when it comes to video games.
Good point.

Anyway, do you know another good RPG game that touch a time travel subject?

Final Fantasy I. But it made no sense.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:14 pm »
chrono trigger had team attacks and then the story sucked you in chrono cross adds to the story so you HAVE to play it.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 09:02:53 pm »
well some might love it because it gives hope for our future, knowing there's always someone trying to make the world a better place, and the heroes that make the world great, are as average as you or me.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 09:13:59 pm »
well some might love it because it gives hope for our future, knowing there's always someone trying to make the world a better place, and the heroes that make the world great, are as average as you or me.

average? ripped muscle guy, super guines, princess, robot, frog, cave woman, and muscular wizard? how is that average?

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
  • Need you not a swordsman?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 05:11:37 am »
Hi all!  I'm new here and very, very glad to have found this site.  Man, this game takes me back...I figure this site will help me to recapture some of the original thrill of the game.

Anyhow, as for myself, I came to love Chrono Trigger and later the entire series because of the soundtrack.  Chrono Trigger is a great game, quite possibly my all-time favorite, but what sets it apart for me was that it's probably the only time I've fallen right into the music.  It altered the experience from simply the enjoyment of a great game into a completely immersive experience.  Especially the first time I heard Corridors of Time.  After that, I was hooked.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 07:39:16 am »
Welcome to the forums, Kanadyets. Nice intro. :)

ProjectoR

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »
chrono cross reminds me of our struggle here on earth, the story is linked to earth i know for sure...

www.stuartwilde.com talks about mirror worlds, dark and light beings appearing here on earth

light beings from saturn and other dimensions, wich stand 100 feet tall.

etheric and elemental forces = spirits and ghosts

objects that hold power= crystal skulls, the holy grail, pyramids, shrines.

how can something so obvious not be looked at by us humans.

"our lives are just a giant RPG"