Author Topic: Resurrection  (Read 1179 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Resurrection
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:33:40 am »
Dear Everyone,

My semester is over.  It got so bad at one point that my roommate called the hospital because he thought I was dying (i went a week w/o sleep and little to no food/drink). 

I'm taking a "soft summer" to celebrate because I really need to have no stress for awhile.  So I'm taking one class, doing some research and got a job to pay for food and stuff. 

In other words, I'm back.  I'm sorry I had no time but...well I literally had no time and this semester year needed my complete and utter attention. 

So anyways, there's certinaly been some restructuring around here.  It looks like were importing...again.....I remember importing before and well it was horrible.  Look's like zeality is on that.

It looks like alot of cool graphics stuff is going on.  Is there a latest patch I can take for a stroll?

I'm sure I pissed alot of people off with my AWOL and I apologize again.  Let's kick some ass.

--JP

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:39:51 am »
Glad to have ya back mate.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:24 am »
Thanks,

SO much to read.  Would it be possible to get a "state of the hack" address (probably from Zeality).  I just saw Vargose left, that is sad but of course I totally understand and maybe he'll resurrect to?   I'd like to do stuff but I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done.

--JP

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:10:40 am »
Really that all that needs to be done is importing of Glenn Graphics.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:24:55 am »
Okay, I'll reveal everything I know at this point.

State of the Hack

Plot - The plot is completely finished and finalized. That's not to say that dialogue is already written or anything, but Chrono'99 and I took the old stuff and my second draft, and produced something perfect in the vein of the Chrono series.

Glenn - Vargose bailed with some lame excuse about ethics over ROMs, and since then there's been zero progress on Glenn sprites or assembly hacking.

Prophet's Guile - Fearing the worst (you'll see why later), I wrote a plot detailing Magus's time in Zeal after 600 A.D. as a side story. Chrono'99 almost has main coding done, at which point...well, I guess I'll write all the dialogue, and maybe a couple short hacks later we can release it.

The ROM - Earlier in the year, after another round of corruption I decided we needed to make a third migration. I got halfway through before my dream sapped all my time, and my progress is recorded at http://www.chronocompendium.com/CrimsonEchoes/ResurrectionJournal.html . Everything is recorded there and those backups / exports still exist on my computer, waiting for me to return to work. I've documented absolutely all steps so that we can track down corruption if needed.

Corruption - It happens. I don't know if I'm going to offend anyone when I say this, but it seems to happen on its own. After editing two locations on a fresh ROM for Prophet's Guile, I managed to corrupt a map and its events. It's happened to the other projects and it can't be duplicated, so it's really been a dent to morale. The only way to survive is to make backups after every change, and as soon as corruption is detected, to take the last good backup and get it updated with new developments. But once we've edited nearly everything in the ROM, it would seem that someone would have to play through it a LOT to detect corruption. Who knows if CT locations we're not using are corrupted, since they aren't beta tested? It's sort of a bummer.

Music - We finalized what songs are going in, mostly. There's a final, small pool of songs we can use, and the .spcs are already loaded to the herograw server.

Policy - You'll see that policy thread, probably...the stuff about the meticulous backup changes, and how we should use .Flux instead of ips from here on out due to possibly data integrity issues. And how we should focus on building the backbone of the game through events and mapping before ever considering 'hard' hacking, like sprites or assembly.

That's about it. It's not the greatest news...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:32:33 am »
Glenn - Vargose bailed with some lame excuse about ethics over ROMs, and since then there's been zero progress on Glenn sprites or assembly hacking.

You know i'm really getting tired of the whole "Omg he bailed for some stupid reason" crap.  He has his reasons, deal with it.  He's done so much for the Chrono community in such a little time that half of the people on this SITE will EVER do in a life time.  Don't get all bitchy just because he left on his own personal reasons, he has a life outside of the forums.  Doesn't mean he has to stick here for his whole life.

But anyways, I think Shane(Outlaw) and I are going to try to take up Sprite Assembly sooner or later since it's going to be needed in our project.  I'll see what I can do after I finish with most of the stuff i'm working on.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:00 am »
Great to see you back.
Justin, the basics of sprite assembly are worked out, it's just time consuming to do it. But, I don't have the best attention span, so you might do better.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:21:12 am »

You know i'm really getting tired of the whole "Omg he bailed for some stupid reason" crap.  He has his reasons, deal with it.  He's done so much for the Chrono community in such a little time that half of the people on this SITE will EVER do in a life time.  Don't get all bitchy just because he left on his own personal reasons, he has a life outside of the forums.  Doesn't mean he has to stick here for his whole life.

But anyways, I think Shane(Outlaw) and I are going to try to take up Sprite Assembly sooner or later since it's going to be needed in our project.  I'll see what I can do after I finish with most of the stuff i'm working on.

I have no problem with personal reasons. But suddenly citing ethical challenges with downloading ROMs after becoming an established ROM hacker is a fake excuse. Whatever the reason, the vocalized excuse was stupid.

Edit: Removed the rant about the poor state of the ROM hacking community here and other issues from that party.

Edit: Removed the second rant about Time's Illusion.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:25:06 am by ZeaLitY »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:10:53 am »
I'll stop right here about the flaming but I probably might not get Sprite Assembly either since my attention span is that of a Nat.  But meh, who knows.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 11:19:16 am »
Hellooo, I'm back too, after a few days of being busy with some stuff. Sorry... I'm glad to see jsondag2 has also returned. Welcome back! I guess we have some planning or organisation to set for CE and Prophet's Guile. I'm probably going to do some stuff for Prophet's Guile now that there's someone to work on CE, and later at some point we will hopefully be able to all focus on CE.

Kae

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:18:01 pm »
Figured this would be the best place to post instead of making a new thread.

I'm still here for map-making purposes. I haven't mucked around in TF for months, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get back into the swing of things. I've actually been around fairly regularily (I load up my Compendium bookmark when passing time online), but I just haven't been logged into the forums.

TheOutlaw

• Guardian (+100)
  • Run like it is Godzilla!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:28:48 am »
After June 14th, I'll be good to start up again on Glenn. End of the year project.
Been Spending A Lot of hours Volunteering.