Author Topic: Chrono Cross & PS2  (Read 2337 times)

Hammerheart

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross & PS2
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:27:44 am »
I suggest someone else here has played Chrono Cross on Playstation 2. Has anyone else experienced problems with the "Insert Disc 2" -screen ? When I tried to put in the second disc my PS2 makes somewhat unusual noise and disc doesn't load at all. When I boot my console with disc 2 inside it loads just fine. Well, I actually found a way around this: I loaded the most recent save using my old PSOne and then got past the disc switching screen and saved. Now I loaded that save with PS2. Luckily I still had my old console, but is there a way to get past that screen using PS2 only ?

So now I finished the game with PS2. But now what ! It seems that after ending credits there's no screen where you can save your game (for New game+). So how do I solve this one ? I actually tried to finish game again, got past the credits but again the screen remains black. Guess I could just use my old Playstation again but I how wondering if there's a way to solve this. Besides, if I start New game+ I would have to switch consoles all the time if I want to enjoy the improved graphics with PS2 at all. I mean, there were ten endings in all and I would like to get every single on of them.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Chrono Cross & PS2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:07:25 pm »
Not sure. Someone else on Gamefaqs had the same problem; the game simply terminates at the end.

Edit: Wait, I'm talking about the PS3. The game freezes at the end.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:28:48 pm by ZeaLitY »

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:18:49 pm »
that cant be tru. I have the flatter playstation 2 and it works every time i put in disk 2. It might be because you have the first ps2 (the bigger one).

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:59:51 pm »
I think you're being struck by that old Disc Read Error bug that plagued early models of PS2s and still rears its head every once in a while for newer PS2s.

But if you have a PSX why are playing Chrono Cross on your PS2? If you have these problems why not just play it on the PSX?

Hammerheart

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:27:22 pm »
I have new slimline model too. Disc read error isn't the case here because every game works just fine. DRE would mean that games would have hard time running at all. Besides, I replaced my consoles laser unit about a month ago because the old one stopped functioning so it shouldn't have any problems yet. I have also installed laser protection unit, which would inform me should there be any problems with the laser.

Why am I playing on PS2 you ask ? Well PS2 improves the graphics of the PSX games. Load times are also slightly shorter.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:32:32 pm »
I have new slimline model too. Disc read error isn't the case here because every game works just fine. DRE would mean that games would have hard time running at all. Besides, I replaced my consoles laser unit about a month ago because the old one stopped functioning so it shouldn't have any problems yet. I have also installed laser protection unit, which would inform me should there be any problems with the laser.

Why am I playing on PS2 you ask ? Well PS2 improves the graphics of the PSX games. Load times are also slightly shorter.
Well obviously you know more about PS2 hardware than I do, so I'll just shut up on that regard.

What it could be, I don't know. I've never had any problems playing Chrono Cross on my PS2...though nowadays I just emulate it like I do with everything else...

Hammerheart

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:31:27 pm »
Okay problem solved... quite. If anyone else is experiencing similiar problems with the ending, just leave Playstation driver setting called Texture Filtering as it is (Normal) instead of switching it to Smooth. I haven't tried, if this solves the problem with Insert Disc 2 screen also.

Well this of course means that you don't get any graphics improvement compared to PSOne. But you can always reset your machine and change those settings whenever needed (most of the time game runs just fine with smooth textures). At least now I can complete the game without PSOne, which is a huge relief since I'd be using my PS2 anyway and now I don't need to have an extra console attached to my TV.