Author Topic: One Simple Category Suggestion: ''Sword'' to "Katana"  (Read 4967 times)

Jessica Ingmann

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lv. 23 Writer
    • View Profile
    • Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna
One Simple Category Suggestion: ''Sword'' to "Katana"
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:49:48 am »
I have a suggestion for th' Encyclopedia.  Instead of leavin' th' category currently marked "Sword" fer Crono's swords, why not change it to "Katana"?  As it stands, "Sword" links to not only Chrono's swords, but Frog's swords, th' Chrono Cross swords, and th' Radical Dreamers swords!(Meanwhile, "Broadsword" only links ta Frog's stuff.)  Wha'd'ya say?

Also, since I'm here, Crono's "Swallow" also links ta all of Serge's Swallows as well as th' stats fer Crono's Swallow.  How about doin' like Wikipedia an' specifying?  Like...instead of "Swallow," use "Swallow (Chrono Trigger)"?  I dunno...  Just a thought!

Keep up th' good work, folks!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:37:00 pm by Jessica Ingmann »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
Re: One Simple Category Suggestion: ''Sword''
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:30:07 am »

Also, since I'm here, Crono's "Swallow" also links ta all of Serge's Swallows as well as th' stats fer Crono's Swallow.  How about doin' like Wikipedia an' specifying?  Like...instead of "Swallow," use "Swallow (Chrono Trigger)"?  I dunno...  Just a thought!

Serge's swallow isn't actually a sword but a twin lance... The only thing that connects Crono's Swallow & Serge's Swallow is its name.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:11:48 pm »
I have a suggestion for th' Encyclopedia.  Instead of leavin' th' category currently marked "Sword" fer Crono's swords, why not change it to "Katana"?  As it stands, "Sword" links to not only Chrono's swords, but Frog's swords, th' Chrono Cross swords, and th' Radical Dreamers swords!(Meanwhile, "Broadsword" only links ta Frog's stuff.)  Wha'd'ya say?

Is it difficult trying to type all those words out to seem like you have an accent, seems like a lot of work .

Jessica Ingmann

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lv. 23 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 01:20:47 pm »
Sometimes I do it, sometimes I dun.  Usually, it jus' comes naturally, bu' sometimes, I gotta think 'bout it.  :x

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 02:19:53 pm »

Is it difficult trying to type all those words out to seem like you have an accent, seems like a lot of work .

I was trying to figure out a way to ask this in an unoffensive way, but it would appear that such thing has become obsolete as of now. Nice work, mister.

Jessica Ingmann

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lv. 23 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:24:44 pm »
...  Hate you all.  D:  *burns everything*  :D

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:41:17 pm »
 :D

Well, on topic- a section for Swords would be good. I must confess, I haven't looked at the weapons section yet at all.

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:36 pm »
...  Hate you all.  D:  *burns everything*  :D

Just give back my matches after you're done with it.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:59:30 pm »

I was trying to figure out a way to ask this in an unoffensive way, but it would appear that such thing has become obsolete as of now. Nice work, mister.

I wasn't trying to be mean either, just curious. Sorry if it offended you >_<

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:21:36 pm »

I wasn't trying to be mean either, just curious. Sorry if it offended you >_<

Actually, I was being absolutely non-sarcastic, for once.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 05:15:06 am »

Serge's swallow isn't actually a sword but a twin lance... The only thing that connects Crono's Swallow & Serge's Swallow is its name.

err wouldn't it count as a double bladed sword/glave/somthing along those lines since it has a blade and is designed for slicing not stabbing.

lances = stabbing tools swords = slicing tools, i dont see how you decided that serges swallows were twin lances.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: One Simple Category Suggestion: ''Sword'' to "Katana"
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:32 am »
Lances have blades too. Personally I'd consider them more dual-ended heavy blades ¬.¬ Although, we could just call them swallows :P

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 03:31:35 am »
Would you prefer twin glaives? Anyway, the twin glaives of spellbreaker(WC3 human unit) & Serge's weapon has a striking similarity.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 06:00:49 am »
Lances have blades too. Personally I'd consider them more dual-ended heavy blades ¬.¬ Although, we could just call them swallows :P
uhh no lances dont have blades. they're stabbing tools made for charging you might be thinking of spears/pikes wich have small ass blades.

glaves are close but double bladed swords is a better definition since most of his swallows have two edges and glaves although they have roughly the same length/style only are single bladed.

id go with double bladed swords or simply swallows, unless these things have a proper name we are all unaware of. just shove (katana) after cronos swallow or something to solve linking to the same stuff issues and what not.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 07:41:11 am »
You could also call Crono's swords 'falchions' if you take that by its more original meaning. That would include any form of bent sword, western or eastern. Though it could technically also include Janus' scythes and sickles, come to think of it. Nevertheless, I'm not sure all of Crono's swords are Katanas, and the Swallow might be one that isn't. It could just be a bent, single bladed sword... a scimitar, for example.

Whoever said the thing about the lances is right from what I know, though I know very little indeed about middle-ages weaponry (a bit more about ancient forms, but there aren't any technical terms in English that I know of from back then. Though if you need me to explain the difference between a makhaira, a xiphos, and a kopis...) A lance, from the sense I get, tends to be anti-cavalry. A pole-weapon with a blade on it is usually a halberd - a spear, basically, with an additional blade on it like an axe. Also, do keep in mind, and this is usually forgotten, that spears are not generally single-pointed. They have the main point (usually leaf-shaped) on the top, and a sharp spike on the butt-end. This appears in manifold works of literature: in the Bible, Joab stabs Abiashi with the back of his spear... rather difficult if it was blunt... and in the Iliad they often make references to this sort of thing. It's also archaeological. Anyway, just felt inclined to point that out: spears have two points, one on either end!

Also, there is a distinction between a spear and a javelin. A spear is generally not thrown, though the word can be used as such. A javelin is always thrown. However, in places like the Iliad, which are a bit of a mix of times and tactics, might have trouble distinguishing between stabbing and thrown weapons. Also note, on the idea of stabbing, that swords are not always slashing weapons. Firstmost they were stabbing weapons, when the metal technology was not advanced enough to survive impact (and this is much of antiquity)... and swords were never really useful weapons either. Rarely a first-choice weapon, and not of much importance militarially.