Author Topic: SE is NOT selling the Chrono franchise; the rumor mills can shut right up  (Read 2151 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Recently, some quirky, self-published Dutch gaming site proposed that Mistwalker getting the Chrono franchise might be cool. Then, they reported news that SE was selling two unnamed licenses. Fast forward a day and some quirky, self-published Square Enix news site reports that SE is selling Kingdom Hearts and the Chrono series franchise. Fast forward a day and people all over several boards are ranting and raving.

It's just a stupid, idiotic rumor. It is probably perpetuated by the same people who talked about Chrono Glance last year. Don't believe this stuff, even for one second. Square Enix would not sell the flagship Kingdom Hearts label, and there is no other real news source even hinting at the sale of intellectual property. So tell the rumor mills that started this to go straight to hell.

Ninja Lou

• Iokan (+1)
  • 999HP 99MP
    • View Profile
I hope I didn't piss anyone off by posting that stupid rumor. Sorry in advance if I did.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
I disagree somewhat.  True that the sale is a rumor, but selling Chrono Trigger would make some mild sense.  Its a property they have not touched in a matter of years and the original development team is long gone.

More likely though would be the sale of other, non-RPG properties such as Tobal.  Personally, I would like to see Parasite Eve leave their hands.

---T.Geiger

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Any one should have seen this as a false rumor for two reasons.  One kingdom hearts sells a LOT a whole LOT, a retard would sell the series to someone else.  Regarding the Chrono Series I wouldn't sell that neither, the series is growing in poplularity the longer they hold out the more money they will make when they do release a new game.  Thats just my theory.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Doesn't Kingdom Hearts already belong to Disney Buena Vista?

Zero

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Say what you will, but Chrono to Mistwalker just makes sense.

RobertHMayfire

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
It make more sense if SE comissioned a developer to do a Chrono game than just sell it off. Like Dragon Quest 8 and 9 being developed by Level 5 designs. Which would be freaking awesome if some of the old CT team got back together with Level 5 and worked on a full 3-D CT2. Akira Toriyama did the original character designs for CT and Dragon Quest 1 to 9 so it be more logial just to get Level 5 to develop a Chrono game.

Plus Mistwalker's money is mostly Microsoft financial backing. So, if Chrono was up for sale and Mistwalker wanted to buy, they would need Microsoft's money to buy it. And would MS really let Mistwalker have the Chrono series rights? Or, set it up that Mistwalker develops it and Microsoft publish it and retains the rights and owner of the Chrono series?

Its to me that SE should retain the Chrono series right. That's more logical to me. ;)