Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 115070 times)

milkjamjuice

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #1200 on: April 14, 2013, 06:35:29 am »
This is whole situation makes me feel very "erg."  If I lived farther away from Korea, I don't think I would feel this way, but I live in Tokyo and we're quite close.  N. Korea has also made a habit of shooting test missiles over us for fun in the past...  I think it's very tense because unlike his father, Jong Un seems less predictable and a lot more reckless.  If they lacked him as a figurehead I don't think we'd be in this situation.  But yeah, when he barks all I see is a little chihuahua yapping, but it's also the same chihuahua who likes to come crap in my yard every week....

After having missiles launched over us, huge quakes, nuclear meltdowns, irradiated water supplies and so on I'd like to think I've developed a thick skin.  However this weekend when I visited Osaka a large quake hit Saturday morning (and most people I know who experienced the Tohoku or Kobe quake have a bit of PTSD regarding large quakes so things that shake freak us out when it didn't used to)...as I jumped out of bed and ran for a doorway I grabbed my cellphone and flipped it open FIRST to check if it was even functioning because for a moment I thought there could have been an electromagnetic disturbance due to an atomic explosion before logging into the emergency warning service to check for tsunami warnings.

tl;dr This is stressing me out.

Crispy Croco

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 14, 2013, 09:48:57 am »
I know it may sound unlikely, but I think they just want someone else to attack them first. Mostly so they can get their violence fix and say they didn't start it this time.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 14, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »
Offtopic, but @milkjamjuice...

I thought your username looked familiar and clicked on your YouTube channel... Lo and behold I've watched quite a few of your videos in the past! You're one of the Japan-based video bloggers I've watched (SoftyPapa, Gimmeaflakeman, to name a few). Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you're enjoying your stay!

Once upon a time the Chrono Compendium was a vibrant and extremely active place. It's fallen on hard times over the years, so please forgive the lack of posts in these parts. :)

I am assuming you're also a Redditor (based on the tl;dr tag), so I'll keep my eye out for ya! :)

milkjamjuice

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:38 am »
Offtopic, but @milkjamjuice...

I thought your username looked familiar and clicked on your YouTube channel... Lo and behold I've watched quite a few of your videos in the past! You're one of the Japan-based video bloggers I've watched (SoftyPapa, Gimmeaflakeman, to name a few). Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you're enjoying your stay!

Once upon a time the Chrono Compendium was a vibrant and extremely active place. It's fallen on hard times over the years, so please forgive the lack of posts in these parts. :)

I am assuming you're also a Redditor (based on the tl;dr tag), so I'll keep my eye out for ya! :)

Hey there!  Wow, I'm so happy you watch my channel!  :o
Yeah, I actually used to be a member here when I was a senior in uni back in 2005-2006 but after I moved to Japan again I kinda just....disappeared.  I don't remember what my old username was so that's why I made a new one, lolz.  I came across a Chrono Cross Ultimania that I wanted to translate which brought me back here since I remembered there's always so much translation to be done!  That and I'm super rusty and I need to get back up to speed so I can get my N1 in the JLPT and possibly stand a chance getting a job in game localization...

YAY FOR EVERYTHING!

edit: Oh nah, not a redditor.  Never got into somehow.  I just use tl;dr a lot because in writing I get way too long winded most of the time.  :roll:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:55:06 am by milkjamjuice »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:48 pm »
... They will lose, but they will fight (and probably level Seoul in the process).

I'm dubious that they'd level Seoul. It serves no military goal, and they'd have to get through a lot of military leaders aware of this in order to enact the plan. Rats abandon a sinking ship: if a military leader follows through on that order, they either have to fight to the death, or they'll have an appointment with Nuremberg. The only way for them to win is to not play the game. That is, refuse orders to completely level Seoul.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 16, 2013, 02:49:14 am »
I'm dubious that they'd level Seoul. It serves no military goal, and they'd have to get through a lot of military leaders aware of this in order to enact the plan. Rats abandon a sinking ship: if a military leader follows through on that order, they either have to fight to the death, or they'll have an appointment with Nuremberg. The only way for them to win is to not play the game. That is, refuse orders to completely level Seoul.

This would be the likely line of thinking in a rational enemy, I agree.  The problem is we just don't know if the enemy is rational or not.  In North Korea the populace has been thoroughly brainwashed into believing the Kim family is benevolent and godlike despite loads of evidence to the contrary.  Which officers are true believers, and which officers see things as they are?  If only half of the North Korean artillery obeyed the order to shell Seoul, the damage would still be catastrophic.  And in the event that communication is cut off from Kim Jong Un in the midst of a major conflict, the army may have standing orders to inflict as much damage as possible in retaliation.  Kim Jong Un wouldn't even have to give the order.  Therein lies the danger.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1206 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
Not to derail the topic, but...

Yeah, I actually used to be a member here when I was a senior in uni back in 2005-2006 but after I moved to Japan again I kinda just....disappeared.

Hah, no wonder! I just checked your video blog, and wondered why you didn't look Japanese and went on to assume you may have been originally from Russia (Edit: whoops! You're neither, since you clearly explain being American in one video). Haven't seen them in-depth, though I will soon.

You look uncannily similar to Windmaedchen, though not exact. XD Mostly your facial expressions, be it calm or funny. (You've talked to her in the "Welcome" thread)

EDIT: Saw some of your videos, and I need to say a few things relevant to "Humanity" topic.

At first I simply took you as one of the new members who I may learn about as time passes by, and I do realize that everyone (no matter how seemingly irrelevant) have something incredibly unique and inspiring about them. I did not know "What Kind of Uniqueness" that you were.

Now I do.

So far as I've watched your videos (which only round of to a handful), you strike me as someone with a narrow selection of taste in things (though I may be wrong, so please correct me), but even then you're brave and open enough to at least look into its depth to give your most honest opinions with your eyes open and clear. And what's even inspiring is not only your sincerity and courage against heavier topics and experiences (such as abusive relationships) or test-driving for fun (such as Espressoda), but also the effort you put into sharing those experiences with those who would appreciate and benefit from it.

I find that effort and good-will very inspiring, Miss Breakfast (if you don't mind me calling you that, LOL). :) Please allow me salute you in admiration. (Yup, I'm a very emotional man.)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:52:59 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1207 on: April 19, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »
Regarding the suspect -- now on the run -- of the Boston Bombing incident, just thought people here may find these to be interesting:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/36635/what-to-consider-in-wake-of-boston-newtown-and-other-tragedies

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/19/djohar-tsarnaev-social-network-page/2097167/

http://www.policymic.com/articles/36547/why-chechnya-produced-the-boston-marathon-terrorists

And....

http://www.policymic.com/articles/36661/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-twitter-25-of-his-most-disturbing-tweets

Personally, I agree with this one statement he made:

And he's right. Evil triumphs when good people do nothing. But those good and courageous people of Boston stand their ground against the storms of terrorism, and shall remain unconquered, and you've seen the altruistic, selfless acts of common folks coming to the aid of the injured.

Evil may be powerful. But the force of united good remains invincible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:10:01 pm by tushantin »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:17 am »
"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing," he said.

I find it remarkable how people's notions of good and evil get twisted.  I suppose "good men" are those who maim and kill innocent people to make a point, and "evil" are those who stand in their way?

I feel sorry for those people who favorited his comment, having no idea what he really meant by it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1209 on: April 23, 2013, 06:48:41 am »
"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing," he said.

I find it remarkable how people's notions of good and evil get twisted.  I suppose "good men" are those who maim and kill innocent people to make a point, and "evil" are those who stand in their way?

I feel sorry for those people who favorited his comment, having no idea what he really meant by it.

I know what he meant. And I don't care what he meant.

I'm totally just using his quotes out of context to inspire the victims and good people in general. XD

(and by good people, I literally mean GOOD altruistic honest helpful brave people. Evil = terrorism)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1210 on: April 26, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »
This made my day. XD

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »
I can't help but critique their argument. I am a horrible, horrible person. Probably the kind that frowns at puppies for playing incorrectly.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2013, 02:29:37 am »
Sometimes children, in their simplicity, make the most compelling arguments.  They have a way of cutting through all the crap to get to the core issue.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »
First, to reitterate, I am a horrible, horrible, person for critiquing that letter.

Second, with that established, the letter does warm the cockles of the heart, but it doesn't make a compelling argument. Which, brings us back to the first point. Namely, that I'm a horrible person for considering the letter on that level.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1214 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:51 pm »
I asked a question on Facebook recently (and will do so on Twitter too): If schools are meant to nurture a child's intelligence, why do you they ruthlessly indoctrinate and force obedience training upon the child in such a way that they lose the will to question?

But just the same day, I stumbled upon this: http://youtu.be/gM95HHI4gLk

This guy... the founder of Khan Academy... single handedly challenged the world's education system, and has made things better for everyone.

Damn, I'm inspired!