Author Topic: Moving to USA. Just a few Questions about Highschool and other stuff ^^  (Read 5704 times)

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to USA. Just a few Questions about Highschool and other stuff ^^
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 03:39:13 pm »
They are trying to cobnvert the American system to Metric, I hope they do, That means No More confusion!
who's confused? we know our measurements, you know yours.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 07:43:54 pm »
1) High School Diploma

2) If you are smart, you can obtain a Regents Diploma if you take the nessecary "regents" tests, for example the Math A (Algebra) and Math B (Trigonomerty & Functions) exams, Earth Science Regents, Biology/Chemistry Regents. School requirements will vary, but if you do well on your exams, you are gaurenteed to get a higher distinction! Research exactly what your school has to offer and talk to your counselor for more information on higher distinctions, honor roll, and various scholarships.

3) Your Math, History, Science and Writing are all very important. I would devote more time to Math and the Science you take which are statistically the subjects students struggle with. You may be different though!

4) Yes. You will likely recieve a class schedule in the mail and you may visit the school in the Summer before school doors open. Use this time to track down your classes and get a feel for how to make your way around the area.

5) Depends. There are different classes on different days. The class you will be in, say your history subject, the students with you in that class may pop up in other classes you may have. However, there are multiple History classes in the same grade that go on at different times of the day when you have it and even on different days all together. Many students will take advanced classes of the course you have selected, you will never see those types of students unless you wish to join those classes. They get credit for their History class, but the work load is usually more, you have to study harder, but you will also learn more than the average student!

6) Yes. Every student is required by law to have lunch or some break. Cafeteria's are common in almost every school. You will most likely be going to a school with a huge class roster and a big cafeteria. Beware of school food though :)

7) Let's say you are moving to a school on the East Coast of the United States in this example. My school started at 7:30am and I usually woke up around 6ish. The bus will come pick you up at a certain time so be sure you know where to stand or walk to for the bus stop, that is if your parents decide to take you to school in the morning. That would be nice. Anyways, I would take a shower either before I go to bed the night before school, or when I wake up in the morning. I would set my alarm for 5ish and shower and get things ready. I usually do this the night before though! During the Spring Equinox, you will have brighter mornings and during the Fall Equinox, the mornings will be darker.

8 ) Be sure to see a list of choices for Math classes. Math is a required course to take. You will probably be put into an Intermediate Algebra course. However, you have the option to choose between what Math course to take, Accounting, Business Math, but it all depends on the schools list of subject selections.

9) Limited. However, you may fill up your schedule with as many classes you want to take as possible. You will have to take the required Math, Science, English, History courses. Those are 4 credits right there. The rest of your day needs to be filled, since you are only a Sophomore. I suggest taking electives like Technology courses, if offered, and other Sciences like Astronomy. (I can help you with that :D) You can even take up music! I played the Cello in Orchestra for 10 years during school! Well, when I first entered High School, my Freshman and Sophomore years I filled up with as many classes I could take. The only breaks I had were my lunch period and no Study Halls. Study Halls are basically a time where you can do your homework or go to the school library and go on a computer or read some books. I wanted to get credits and courses out of the way so I could have more free time than anyone else during my final years of High School. During my Junior and Seniors years, I had what was called, "Late Arrival", which was going into school legally later than everyone else, and "Early Release", in which I could leave school at a certain time when my classes were done. I would usually have only 2 classes on certain days, and I could go home to have a good lunch and play video games! Your school may not have these features, but don't give up hope! Try to fill in as many classes as possible. Just don't over-exert yourself with work load. Make sure you have some breaks...

10) Depending on teachers, some care and some don't give a damn. One teacher may have assigned seating for a couple weeks if not the first semester so they can learn names and what not. (I know, I have had my share of sitting next to weirdos and preps and all those labels students give to the way people act and dress) However, some teachers will let you sit where ever you want. Experiment on the seating of each class, get to the class early even and stake out the seat you want to sit in where you can see and listen to your teacher without being distracted by cheerleaders and other girls who tend to show off a little bit more of their bear bone and skin :D

11) Absolutely not. Most schools are completely the opposite. Some may have trends that you can put 2 and 2 together and compare similarities of TV and reality, but it's very rare. Don't worry about that though. I am sure you will fit in nicely. You will be popular for a couple weeks since you are *new* and some people are going to want to talk with you and get to know you. Make friends with them. Don't deny them. If you appear to them as not interested and or shy, they won't want to hang with you. As long as you go with the flow of student life, you will be fine. If you put on black clothing and paint your nails black, get piercings and wear chains, then you might be an outcast.

Zappy!! Again, you will do fine! Take my advice, get into the sports of the school. During games and practices, you will get to know many individuals and you will become a sort of brotherhood. You will be buddies and you will all be in the same boat . . . in other words all in the objective together. If you play Soccer, like I did, be sure to go to the girls games and hang out with them. Soccer, Lacrosse, Field Hockey and Volley ball girls tend to be very nice. Get to know them, have the friends you made introduce you to even more friends. Get involved! But I am telling you, doing sports will get you respect. It's a known fact. If you are very smart, you will score some girls because we all know women love smart guys :lol: Stand out among average High School students and teachers and voice your opinion. Join clubs, earn people's respect and in turn, you will be treated with respect. Beware those kids who don't give a damn and are total jerks. They don't care about many things and will simply mess with you. Do not start fights no matter what the circumstance or joke they made toward you. If a fight can be avoided, then walk away and do it.

Trust me on these particular things. I just got out of High School and I know everything fresh. If you have any questions, contact me via AOL AIM or a PM.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 07:46:44 pm by Magus22 »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 08:16:46 pm »
you forgot the presidental fitness test.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 08:36:57 pm »

Damn. How could I forget Gym class and what not...

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 09:06:14 pm »

Damn. How could I forget Gym class and what not...
hey. I got the badge.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 10:51:16 pm »
TV hasn't lied to me yet (Dean Jones was correct about bearded men being terrorists, right?), so I assume you have to do that stupid rope climbing thing in PE, right?

Hah, I've also heard the Aussie education system is better than that of Americas. Oh well, NSW school system is probably better than Victorias. Except for the HSC, which is just bullshit.

Thank god, however, that most schools there are co-ed! Most here are boys only or girls only, but schools usually have sibling schools, which are connected.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 12:39:43 am »
There was no rope climbing at my high school. Swimming, however, was required. Public schools are co-ed, but there are private segregated schools.

Education standards vary wildly in America, both state by state and even within a given state. I'm not sure what certifications they have in Washington, but generally, states recognize the finest schools they have with some award or designation. Also, Washington has a program called "Running Start" that allows high school students in their later years to take classes at community colleges to count for both college and high school credit. If you're smart enough and dedicated enough, this can vastly improve your education. A friend of mine up here actually had an associates degree when he graduated high school. Pretty nice.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 01:06:57 am »
Nonetheless, you might land a perfect public school. There are three high schools here; two are often in the news, as one is the traditional mainstay and another one was built for arrogant east siders. But ours, though under the radar in the news due to newspaper preference for others, soundly defeats the other two in education and athletics and rivals most private schools in the region. The AP program was gangbusters and the athletics department rocked. It was public education done right.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 10:40:53 am »
I have exactally a month before I move over there T.T Man, Am I excited XD

I'll be two weeks late from the beginning of the school year, I guess, but oh well. I'll be in the sophemore year, instead of finishing off year 9. Apparently, I can get into sophemore year only on credit, because they'd want me in freshman year for some reason O.o So I'd have to work very, very hard to catch up.

I am definitely going to join clubs :P

By the waym what is high school credit O.o

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 04:13:10 am »
Hmm, I just remembered two questions.

1) Can you guys, or do you guys, in American Highschools use calculators? Here, in math, we're allowed. But I know that like in Japan, you're not allowed, so yeah O.o

BTW, do you guys still have to have showers after P.E. Here we don't :P WTF, showering in school O.o

Rat

• Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 05:17:55 am »

By the waym what is high school credit O.o

High school credit is kind of a system where they figure out if you have everything you need to graduate, if you've taken the right courses and passed them and whatnot.

.... I suck at explaining things. But you can probably ask a guidance counselor about it at whatever HS you'll end up at, and they are likely to be able to explain it better, as well as tell you what classes you might need to graduate.

1) Can you guys, or do you guys, in American Highschools use calculators? Here, in math, we're allowed. But I know that like in Japan, you're not allowed, so yeah O.o

BTW, do you guys still have to have showers after P.E. Here we don't :P WTF, showering in school O.o

Yes, we were allowed to use calculators. You can even use them during the tests you take to get into college (ACT and SATs)  but they don't allow certain types of calculators because you can program the answers into them and whatnot.

And... I don't know about the PE one. I think so, but I don't think it's required, but then I wouldn't know since I haven't taken a PE class since middle school.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 07:00:23 am »

1.) yes. japan is crazy hard. they only let you have saturdays off for god's sake. Its... UNAMERICAN!

and 2.) no. unles you did pool. then they ask you too, but I never did.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 10:31:13 am »
Awesome, Must speak to a guidance counciler :O

I was so worried about the calculators because here we are allowed to use them in tests and during school.

Question : You guys do math off text books right?

And since I think i'm stupid since I can't do 1300 square root in my head, i figured you guys in America would be able to do that or something and you'd be uber smart. Since i'll be leaving my school at the end of term 3, i'll be a term and 2 weeks behind when I get to America and to my highschool. In that time, I could have missed much in Math and Science. I doubt history because right now we're doing Australian history O.o Damn it, I have to learn the good ol' American history now ^.^;

Rat

• Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 12:17:13 pm »
Awesome, Must speak to a guidance counciler :O

I was so worried about the calculators because here we are allowed to use them in tests and during school.

Question : You guys do math off text books right?

And since I think i'm stupid since I can't do 1300 square root in my head, i figured you guys in America would be able to do that or something and you'd be uber smart. Since i'll be leaving my school at the end of term 3, i'll be a term and 2 weeks behind when I get to America and to my highschool. In that time, I could have missed much in Math and Science. I doubt history because right now we're doing Australian history O.o Damn it, I have to learn the good ol' American history now ^.^;

Most of our homework is given out of the textbook. Sometimes teachers hand out worksheets or packets that cover pretty much the same things as what's in the textbook. I think it mainly depends on how a teacher chooses to teach his/her class.

Ah, don't worry, I can barely do any math in my head. I'm absolutely horrible with it. Chances are you'd probably be fairly average as far as an American HS student goes, except if you're slightly good looking and still have your accent, the girls might flock to you. Some American chicks seem to have a thing for accents from English speaking countries. =P

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 07:22:19 pm »
Advice:

Definately join clubs like Science Olympiad, Key Club, or anything that fits your personality.

Do sports!!!

Since you'll be the new guy, it may be difficult at first, but get to know some people and make some new friends both guy and girl.

It's Sophomore year so anything can happen. Make your impacts on everything while you still have time. I for one regret many things I should've done, that's why I offer, hopefully, some good truthful advice to individuals like you. I don't want people to make the same mistakes I did. However, it's not in my right mind to be an obstacle in your life path. There are infinte possibilities you come into contact with every second of your life, for real. I can only tell the tales of my journey before it slowly gets consumed by a dark cloud hovering over my past forever.

Concentrate on your work first and foremost. Look into clubs and sports later and be sure to listen to moringing announcements over a PA system through speakers all around the school. It will provide valuable information for the day and upcoming events to mark on your calender.