Author Topic: United States of America: Nation of Evil?  (Read 4989 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
United States of America: Nation of Evil?
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:42:21 am »
BEFORE GETTING YOUR MOLOTOV COCKTAILS READY, I'M ACTUALLY ASKING A QUESTION, NOT PORTRAYING A VIEW. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL MAKE GOOD DISCUSSION.

I was watching Bowling for Columbine yesterday. Believe me, it is quite hard to think during commercial breaks about "what do four hot babes do in one apartment in the Gold Coast", but even so, I found the film quite enlightening, even though I had watched it a couple of years back. We all know Moore bullshits a lot, but most of what he said was true, even if it was extremely selective. The film portrayed some rather disturbing facts. Not only was the actual Columbine shooting incredibly disturbing (a shooting in a school is quite horrendous, because that is one of the places people are meant to feel extremely safe), but why they did it was horrible too, the usual society-crushing-down on them. But whatever, the main point of this thread is this: why is America such a violent nation?

First off, we look at America's history, wonderfully put in a sort of slideshow, with "What A Wonderful World" playing in the background:

• 1953: U.S. overthrows Prime Minister Mossadegh of Iran. U.S. installs Shah as dictator.
  • 1954: U.S. overthrows democratically elected President Arbenz of Guatemala. 200,000 civilians are killed.
  • 1963: U.S. backs assassination of South Vietnamese President Diem.
  • 1963-1975: The Vietnam War, supported by the U.S. military, kills an est. 4 million people in Southeast Asia.
  • September 11, 1973: U.S. stages a military coup in Chile. Democratically elected president Salvador Allende assassinated. Dictator General Augusto Pinochet installed. 3,000 Chileans murdered.
  • 1977: U.S. backs military rulers of El Salvador. 70,000 Salvadorans and four American nuns were killed.
  • 1980s: U.S. trains Osama bin Laden and fellow terrorists to kill Soviets. CIA gives them $3 billion.
  • 1981: Reagan administration trains and funds Contras. 30,000 Nicaraguans die.
  • 1982: U.S. provides billions in aid to Saddam Hussein for weapons to kill Iranians.
  • 1983: The White House secretly gives Iran weapons to kill Iraqis.
  • 1989: CIA agent Manuel Noriega (also serving as de facto military leader of Panama) disobeys orders from Washington. U.S. invades Panama and removes Noriega. 3000 Panamanian civilian casualties.
  • 1990: Iraq invades Kuwait with weapons from U.S.
  • 1991: U.S. enters Iraq. Bush reinstates dictator of Kuwait.
  • 1998: Clinton bombs “weapons factory” in Sudan. Factory turns out to be making aspirin.
  • 1991-date of the film: American planes bomb Iraq on a weekly basis. U.N. estimates 500,000 Iraqi children die from bombing and sanctions.
  • 2000-2001: U.S. gives Taliban-ruled Afghanistan $245 million in "aid."
  • The final instance in the montage depicts the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center, with a title card adding that Osama bin Laden uses his expert CIA training to murder 3000 people.

So here we find out that America has a history of using violence as an answer. In the movie, some random Canadian kid's even speak on this, saying the US basically goes "go by us or die". Also, the whole killing Native American's and Africans adds to this violent history. Many people blame the culture of violence on this history, however, the Brits, Germans, Japanese and even Australian's have a history of violence, yet their gun murders are significantly lower (even taking to account the population differences).

Another theory is gun possession, in which the US excels in, due to the 2nd Amendment. Canada has an even LARGER gun possession rate, yet it's homocide rate is incredibly lower.

One other theory is the media. No doubt the media has a lot of influence of kid's, such as movie's, music ("let's shoot Marilyn Manson!") and video game's. But EVERY country has video gamers, EVERY country has people watching violent movie's, and if Home Star Runner is to teach us anything, EVERY country, especially Scandinavia, listens to death metal-ish music!

The last theory is, according to Charlton Heston, mixed ethnicity, but who listen's to him anyways.

Remember, the thing's mentioned above are NOT the be all end all, they are just idea's and theories. Be free to prove me and ol' Mikey wrong; in fact, if you can, do so! It will result in good discussion.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:48:46 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: United States of America: Nation of Evil?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:48:32 am »
one qusiton can you make that shorter to were ME the sappose to be stupid person can understand that sounds like your talking about the war or you think that life is crule or something

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:49:50 am »
it sounds facinating i just dont understand it and i want to if it sounds facinateing

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:53:02 am »
one qusiton can you make that shorter to were ME the sappose to be stupid person can understand that sounds like your talking about the war or you think that life is crule or something
Uh...I'll make the question shorter, because I am ever-so nice.
Why is the US such a violent place?

Point's I've given were:
  • A History of Violence
  • Foreign Violence
  • Gun Possession
  • Media

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:04:48 am »
#1 its all crule because well i dont like killing i think we sould all just STOP with the killing of the guns and rap i mean come on if you cant get non get over it and africans have you seen how there treated by white men just because there a different coler does not mean they sould be slaves me i think the movie are CRAP because all the langage WE ALL USE came from mostly rap music and violent movies i addmit when im mad i use it to and having a possession of a gun just makes it worse

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:05:19 am »
Bowling for Columbine is a pure propoganda piece. The availability of guns is not the cause of the tragedy, merely the means. If they didn't have guns, it would have been molotovs and knives. The United States was by and large isolationist up until WWII, and during the Cold War, the threat of nuclear war was a very real and very frightening one.

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:15:08 am »
but why have a war any way its point less all for grass and dirt (land)

Zansatsu Hana

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:47 am »
I think a history of violence and foreign violence are the largest issues. Media isn't too much of an issue depending on the intelligence of the person viewing/hearing the media. As long they can seperate reality from fiction, media has nothing to do with it. The availibity of the guns isn't an issue either. I agree with Radical_Dreamer in that the guns were simply the tools chosen by the kids and that there would've been something else used to kill people had they not had access to guns.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:44:50 am »
Bowling for Columbine is a pure propoganda piece. The availability of guns is not the cause of the tragedy, merely the means. If they didn't have guns, it would have been molotovs and knives. The United States was by and large isolationist up until WWII, and during the Cold War, the threat of nuclear war was a very real and very frightening one.
That is true, it is a propaganda piece. However, he doesn't blame it on gun availability, but rather the culture of fear.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention, another theory is unemployment. Canada's unemployment, however, is far higher, yet it is still a far safer place.
Must be the whole releasing their anger in Ice Hockey thing :D
but why have a war any way its point less all for grass and dirt (land)
It's not like people can just go "oh, let's stop having war!".

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 02:50:17 am »
Your avatar is a good reinforcement of that idea...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 02:54:42 am »
I just think it looks cool :P
I'm disappointed, Lord J. When I saw you as last poster, I was excited for a long, long post about crap. Instead, I got a line about crap. :P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 03:06:06 am »
I'm disappointed, Lord J. When I saw you as last poster, I was excited for a long, long post about crap. Instead, I got a line about crap. :P

Far be it from me to deprive you of the pleasure of my comments on the supposed villainy of the United States. I believe this country has the distinction of being the world's major cultural influence. We are therefore held to a higher scrutiny than most other nations; but all have committed their injustices. And I don't believe humanity's progress has advanced toward evil, so what you propose as "evil," I say invites room for improvement. This is as it has been and shall continue to be.

And, speaking of "room for improvement," there are some elections coming up in the U.S. this year. Winston Churchill famously said that, if you find yourself in Hell, keep moving. This would be a good year to vote Democrat.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 03:14:44 am »

Far be it from me to deprive you of the pleasure of my comments on the supposed villainy of the United States. I believe this country has the distinction of being the world's major cultural influence. We are therefore held to a higher scrutiny than most other nations; but all have committed their injustices. And I don't believe humanity's progress has advanced toward evil, so what you propose as "evil," I say invites room for improvement. This is as it has been and shall continue to be.

And, speaking of "room for improvement," there are some elections coming up in the U.S. this year. Winston Churchill famously said that, if you find yourself in Hell, keep moving. This would be a good year to vote Democrat.
Good points, good points. I'm not proposing that the US is a nation of evil, I'm just asking "is it?" if so much bad happens in it. Of course, I don't have the first hand experience of living in the US, so all I know is from what I hear, and see.

However, I do know hypocrisy and double standards when I see them. For example, George W. Bush said that every country has a right to defend herself when it is attacked, in the wake of the giant middle eastern violence uprise. First off, kidnapping isn't a direct attack, though that can be disputed. Secondly, most country's that are attacked by the US defend itself, yet the US declared those countries as hubs of evil.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 04:28:34 am »
Nah, I don't think it is.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 07:08:58 am »
Not more than any other state ruled by power seeking humans.