Author Topic: Playing around with some SPC code in ROMs is fun!  (Read 26893 times)

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
Playing around with some SPC code in ROMs is fun!
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:50:40 am »
It's not perfect but still it was a good exercise. For those who can't figure it out I injected Romancing SaGa 2's battle music into the FF6 ROM. And I spent the next 2 hours or so trying to get the instruments as good as I could before I went to sleep. This is a huge step forward in assembly hacking for me. And it's always been my dream to mess around with the SPC code in the ROMs.  Granted it's not a Chrono related topic but I figured someone would at least appreciate the fact that someone out there is working on the SPC code in FF6.  Seems no one has really messed with the SPC code in just about any game with exception to CT and Super Mario World.  Anyway here's the RAR, I dumped the original battle music from Romancing SaGa 2 for referrence. 

http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/ff3us_rs2-battle.rar

Thoughts?

*edit* Since my webhost decided to flake out and delete my website I'd thought I'd upload my CT Remixes (SPCs) for anyone to grab if they wanted them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:31:52 am by JCE3000GT »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Playing around with some SPC code in ROMs is fun!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 02:28:14 am »
The big limitation on spc hacking is the difficulty of standardizing music code between games. That's why it's next to impossible to create a master spc sequencer that could import, export, edit, and create musical instructions within and between ROMs, regardless of the specific games at issue. However, a manual approximation of this is still possible, which we see in your work here, and also in the Temporal Flux example of certain FF VI tracks being transplanted into the CT ROM. I dream of further progress in this direction. That encompasses the extent of my "thoughts" on the subject. And, as you can infer from my lay description, I'm not the person to contribute to this. Are you?

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:21:08 am »
Consider RS3 owned, I just finished injecting Celebration March into FF6 tonight: http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/FF6-RS3_spc.rar.  RS3 is teh owned.  Can I be stopped?   :lol:

And thanks Lord J for your input...as always I appreciate it.   8)

P.S. And I didn't do the drums/hihat on purpose.  =P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:22:53 am by JCE3000GT »

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:55:44 am »
Since it's likely that no one really cares or believes me I've decided to release a small IPS of one of my SPC injections from Romancing SaGa 3 into FF3us/FF6.  I just want to make it clear that I'm serious and won't stop until I've fully figured out FF6's SPC core. 

You will need a ROM with a proper header. This will work for FF3us V1.0 (U) and V1.1 (U) and possibly FF6 (J). Proof that I wasn't kidding with the SPC code hacking in the ROM.

NOTE: This replaces the regular battle music...so don't get too excited.  Just run around until you get into a battle. 

http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/rs3_spc_injection-by_jce3000gt.zip

Thoughts?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:04:12 pm »
Whoops, I'll totally move this into Kajar Laboratories since it is relevant there. All the .spc making has me excited.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 05:44:03 am »
On a different note that must be said, JCE3000GT's avatar and sig are ingenious.

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:08:13 pm »
 :D  Thanks for the compliment Pyt Fumv. 

Oh and if you need more to quench your SPC hacking thirst I present to you my latest fun...the Shrine music from BS Treasure Conflix: http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/ff6-bstc_shrine_remix-by_JCE.rar.  This replaces the Prelude music...so in other words just get to the save loading screen. 

The odd brass-like instrument for the melody that Treasure Conflix uses was hard to match with the FF6 trumpet so I just chose the Pipe Organ and said screw it--If you want to listen to what the trumpet would of sounded like here's an SPC dump--I didn't finish it so after the first part of the melody plays the song is unfinished and the channel volumes aren't quite right: http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/ff6_bstc_shrine-trumpet_version.rar.  =P  I tried to match the volumes of the instruments as best as I could in the IPS above.  What's great about Treasure Conflix is that is uses some FF6 AND CT samples for it's music.  It's quite awsome to hear both sets of samples at the same time in one game.   8)

Thoughts?

P.S. I've been spending over a week trying to rewrite the Title music from Treasure Conflix to work with FF6 but the problems just keep multiplying--it's too bad it looks like I'm not going to be able to add it as it's a absolutely FANTASTIC SONG.  I've practically rewrote the first half of the song to fix it and it didn't work.  I'm sure the issue is with the channel loop info...which I'm trying to fix...albeit slowly.  RS3, Treasure Conflix, and a couple of other Square games released after late-1994 use a similar SPC code that makes FF6 slightly difficult to import into.  Don't get me started on the differences.  RS3 and Treasure Conflix are almost 100% compatible...they appear to use the exact same SPC coding. 

P.P.S. I highly recommend you guys and gals to download the soundtrack of this game and take a listen to the Title music...it just freaking rocks. 

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:53:34 am »
Since obviously FF6 doesn't interest anyone on a Chrono Trigger related forum how about THIS.  http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/ct-ff6_decisive_battle.rar

I'm not going to release the patch public yet until I get more feedback and when I'm satisfied that people actually care.   :?

Thoughts?

Matt Shadows

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • A7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 04:33:00 am »
I liked that. ALOT! but I couldn't help but notice you didn't put in the "Aahs".

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:05:24 am »
This is really nice! I had inserted this same song in CT using Vargose's tutorial but the instruments I set were quite worse than in this version.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 06:44:56 am by Chrono'99 »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 10:24:36 am »
That's an excellent copy of it in CT.  I love it!  Great Job!!!

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 09:01:56 pm »
So you guys like CT do ya?   8)  Try this on for size: http://www.blitzkrieg.finalconquest.net/supersecretpanda/ct-ff6_seraching_for_friends-by_jce.rar

I'm getting the urge to just import all of FF6 into CT just for grins.   :D

P.S. I'm not finished completely, I still need to finish tweaking the volumes.  And I may change the electric bass with the bass guitar. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:04:00 pm by JCE3000GT »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 10:59:35 pm »
You're doing an excellent job!  This track was one of my favorites! XD!  Funny part is, it sounds better in CT then FF O_o

Matt Shadows

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • A7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 11:55:42 pm »
What was that little squeak in the back ground?

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 12:15:14 am »
In the FF6 original there are some saw/sine/triangle waveforms that are in the song, I chose to keep them in the CT edit as well.  Open up SNESAmp and disable the channels until you hear them.