Author Topic: Will we ever travel at the speed of light?  (Read 8099 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever travel at the speed of light?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2006, 10:41:04 pm »
OK I READ THIS I THINK I GET YOU I THINK WE WILL BECAUSE IN SCIANCE CLASS WE WATCHED A MOVIE AND THEY SAID THAT ALIANS EXSIST AND THEY HAVE MORE  TECNOLIGY THEN WE DO AND THEY THINK THAT THEY CAN TRAVILE THE SPEED OF LIGHT BECAUSE THE FARTHEST WE'VE BEEN IS I DONT KNOW HOW FAR HUMAN LIFE HAS BEEN SO IF THERE ARE ALIANS OUT THERE AND THEY HAVE MASTERED THE SPEED OF LIGHT THEN WE WILL MASTER THE SPEED OF LIGHT TO IS WHAT I THINK BUT NOT ANYTIME SOON LIKE AFTER I DIE THEY WILL BUT I THINK ALIANS EXSIST CAUSE THERE IS NO WAY THAT SIGNS IN CORNFILEDS AND ON RADIOS AND STUFF WERE PLAINED OUT BY A HUMAN UNLESS SOME PERSON WANTS PEOPLE TO THINK VERY BADLY THAT ALIANS ARE REAL

SORRY FOR SOME SPELLING

While it is wholy possible that aliens exist, crop circles are man made. It has been demonstrated by those who do it for news crews. It involves using a plank of wood with ropes at each end. The person holds the ropes and press down on the board with his feet, thus pushing down the crops.

I really have doubts about her seriousness.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2006, 02:07:12 am »
Well ok were do you people get these BIG words

How old are you again? This forum has an unusually high number of college kids and working stiffs, giving it a different atmosphere from one with mostly teenage kids and the like. Even so, most of the language used on this forum should still be understandable to anyone with a high school education.

The exception would be that of Lord J esq, who has a tendency towards rather esoteric language brought about by mutations he developed when exposed to large doses of radiation as a child. I think he might even be a superhero -- the famed "Super Wordy" who bores his enemies to death with long-winded conversations concerning the meaning of life.

What does "Lord J esq" even mean?

Honestly though, some of the posters here aren't even from English-speaking countries, and they seem to do just fine. Some of the more intelligent posters aren't even in high school yet.

If you're having trouble understanding things, you might get more enjoyment from returning to teenage life. You only get to live it once, then it's job job job and bills bills bills. For the love of God, don't sit around wasting it on some Internet forum.

That applies to the rest of you teenage kids as well.
Well to make you happy when i go back to school in 3 weeks i'll study harder for you peoples.

Once you start seeing the difference it makes, I suspect you'll start doing it for yourself.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2006, 04:41:40 am »
What does "Lord J esq" even mean?
Lord Josh Esquire, I think.
The exception would be that of Lord J esq, who has a tendency towards rather esoteric language brought about by mutations he developed when exposed to large doses of radiation as a child. I think he might even be a superhero -- the famed "Super Wordy" who bores his enemies to death with long-winded conversations concerning the meaning of life.
Heh, good ol' Ramsy. Never let's us down.
If you're having trouble understanding things, you might get more enjoyment from returning to teenage life. You only get to live it once, then it's job job job and bills bills bills. For the love of God, don't sit around wasting it on some Internet forum.

That applies to the rest of you teenage kids as well.
There isn't that much enjoyment from teenage life. Apart from the occasional burning of toilets, nothing fairly interesting happens. Teenagers are the most boring people, usually complaining about how their parents didn't let them go to their friend Deathslasher's house at 1am, or how their friend's say it's uncool to like Slipknot. Teenagers change attitude and perception radically every year, I don't see how you can have that much fun during that age. Sure, every so often you think you are cool or awesome, but then a few years later you'll look back and say "holy fucking shit, I was the biggest turd back then". Sure, you can have fun sometimes, and sure, when you look back you percieve it as fun, but-- hm, this isn't really going anywhere other than [rant] status, but oh well-- there are also many times when you feel so bogged down, or so embarassed, or so shitty, that it takes all the fun out of teenage life, and I bet most teenager's probably will love the day when they get to drive, have sex, and get a credit card.

Wow, so much irony in that passage.

OF COURSE, I haven't been in the shoe's of a 16+ aged teenager, so yeahh. And I guess teenage life isn't so bad; you don't have to pay for board or food and stuff. And what with rising petrol prices, I'd rather catch public transport. And what with these sex-crazed teachers, any student can get laid these days.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2006, 11:12:19 am »
I consider a teenager 16--->19.  I recently just turned 20.  Let's take a look at my life. 

16--->19:

Hanging out at friends house well into the night playing video games.  Going out at about 2 am causing havoc having a ridiculous amount of fun.  First year of college partying everynight playing cards.

20:   Got my own apartment, paying bills, paying for food.  Realized that I'm an engineer, studying, studying studying, studying, eating, studying.   Summer came but wait.....there's an internship.  Work all day, go home, go to sleep, wake up, work some more.

Teenage years DEFINATLY are the best years of your life.

Sorry for offtopicness.

--jp

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2006, 11:07:51 pm »
Unfortunately, this topic went off track and is almost dead thanks to Nicole's 3rd post I believe.

A shame really, I thought it was going well. I shall attempt to revive it.

OK I READ THIS I THINK I GET YOU I THINK WE WILL BECAUSE IN SCIANCE CLASS WE WATCHED A MOVIE AND THEY SAID THAT ALIANS EXSIST AND THEY HAVE MORE  TECNOLIGY THEN WE DO AND THEY THINK THAT THEY CAN TRAVILE THE SPEED OF LIGHT BECAUSE THE FARTHEST WE'VE BEEN IS I DONT KNOW HOW FAR HUMAN LIFE HAS BEEN SO IF THERE ARE ALIANS OUT THERE AND THEY HAVE MASTERED THE SPEED OF LIGHT THEN WE WILL MASTER THE SPEED OF LIGHT TO IS WHAT I THINK

You have some good stuff there. However, what planet is your teacher from anyways?

We've been pretty far considering our robotic un-manned space ships that have been to Pluto. We have a rough picture of every planet, including some false colorings of many. But if you want to get really technical, we've been out past Pluto because the gyros/guidance systems either made the craft vear off course or it accidently collided with something. On the other hand, we simply just couldn't tell the thing to come back and it just kept going and going . . . and it may be still going. We can do a lot with the Hubble Telescope as well as various in depth "slides" of star charts and stop action systems to see if any celestial object is moving oddly. That's how we discovered Sedna or Xena or whatever that new planet was. (Bonus points goes to the person who can give me its exact numerical name)

As far as Aliens, well, I'll be blunt . . . we ain't alone in this universe. I have seen some pretty strange stuff on a clear night around 2 in the morning by a campfire with some friends, clear so you can see "dual" shooting stars that look like a fast vapor trail like a jet, and even the Milky Way's arm we are supposedly living in. It's simply amazing if ANYONE has ever seen the dust and gas of our galaxy late at night. It's just so cool to watch.

Aside from technology, I don't doubt the off chance that they have better technology. We've not been on this planet that long, so I am sure some little Alien dude is either waving on the other side of a superior telecope, better than Hubble, in their backyards, or giving us a slang gesture that some day they will destroy us all because of jealousy or any other motive.

I'll let time decide that. But I would want to see one with my own eyes before I pass on to the unknown...

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2006, 01:07:31 am »
Why don't they just take some one or something go in a black hole and see were they end up. Do somthing like a camra. And if you come to another world take people in there.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2006, 01:20:41 am »
There is a problem with that, How would we see the results of that?

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2006, 01:22:11 am »
Plus it's going to be a while before anything man-made reaches a black hole.

As far as Aliens, well, I'll be blunt . . . we ain't alone in this universe. I have seen some pretty strange stuff on a clear night around 2 in the morning by a campfire with some friends, clear so you can see "dual" shooting stars that look like a fast vapor trail like a jet, and even the Milky Way's arm we are supposedly living in. It's simply amazing if ANYONE has ever seen the dust and gas of our galaxy late at night. It's just so cool to watch.

I love looking at the stars on a cloudless night where it's really dark. It's a really stunning and humbling sight.

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2006, 01:26:39 am »
Take a flash light.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2006, 01:41:00 am »
Take a flash light.

I want to believe you are joking, but I'll assume you aren't. So great is the force of gravity surounding a black hole, that light cannot escape. The result of this is that a beam of light that is within the event horizon of a blackhole (essentially, the point of no return) cannot make it back out. Since we cannot see without light entering our eyes, we cannot ever see a blackhole, or anything past it's event horizon.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2006, 05:30:11 am »
Take a flash light.

I want to believe you are joking, but I'll assume you aren't. So great is the force of gravity surounding a black hole, that light cannot escape. The result of this is that a beam of light that is within the event horizon of a blackhole (essentially, the point of no return) cannot make it back out. Since we cannot see without light entering our eyes, we cannot ever see a blackhole, or anything past it's event horizon.
Gravity is pretty sweet, it even affect's energy!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2006, 05:34:40 am »

Sweet can be the one of the flavors of gravity's as-yet undiscovered subatomic particle family!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2006, 05:55:26 am »

Sweet can be the one of the flavors of gravity's as-yet undiscovered subatomic particle family!
As could salty, bitter, sour and...MSG! (kudos to anyone who gets that)

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2006, 11:21:29 am »
Take a flash light.

I said it to be funny. lol I know all that i had a test on it and well  only missed 5.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2006, 01:00:34 pm »
My answer is a firm maybe.

Back to work, toothpaste engineer! Just kidding. But that goes for all the other chemists.