Author Topic: Want a new Chrono game?  (Read 88786 times)

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
Re: Want a new Chrono game?
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »
I felt as though CC had excellent writing, could care less how they tie it to CT as even as a standalone game CC is perhaps the best game ever made, along with some FF,CT, LoD, and DW/Q. Very few things in this world give me goosebumps, about 5 pieces of music, 3 films, diarrhea, and the above mentioned games are really it. that and X'ing out to some electronic music.

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »
I won't deny that everything else about CC is great if you manage to ignore its ties to CT.

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »
I won't deny that everything else about CC is great if you manage to ignore its ties to CT.

But... wait, I thought the whole point of CC was to tie up the loose ends left behind from CT (IE Schala and... actually, that's pretty much it).

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »
You know, I wonder if anyone's ever openly criticized Kato for his writing in Chrono Cross.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »
KATO'S WRITING SUCKED IN CHRONO CROSS

...oh wait you meant anyone important :(

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2011, 02:47:04 am »
You know, I wonder if anyone's ever openly criticized Kato for his writing in Chrono Cross.

Well, the most common criticism is that the pacing for roughly half the game was bad; it seemed Kato ran out of time near the end and had to sqeeze in the rest of his ideas into the game. This is why Chrono Cross NEEDS to be remade. The game could only have lived up to its fullest potential if it had an extra year or two of development. A remake like CTDS would at give Kato the oppurntunity to right his wrongs in the game. Here's hoping for an enhanced remake on the 3DS/NGP.

Clockwork_Hedgehog

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »
Hey all, long time lurker, finally signed up!

I just completed Chrono Cross for the first time, and as much as I enjoyed it, the writing clearly needed a lot of editing. There are some pretty bad pacing issues and dialogue between playable characters is nearly nill for most of the game, as in the characters never seem to discuss anything and are happy to just go along with the next development. 

I blame this on the excessive amount of playable characters. 40+ is just way too many. I'm not sure what convinced the CC team to include this many. If they were cut down to say 10 or less then I think the writing/story would be hugely improved. Although the big info dump at the end doesn't help.

Also around the internet I've seen many a comments that CC was not necessarily intended for those who had played CT but could be considered a stand-alone game. Honestly this strikes me as a faintly ridiculous notion as CC's most emotional/involving moments will only really resonate with the player if they've played CT. Plus, the framing of the main storyline and final boss are all heavily interlinked with CT. 

So.. uh, yeah! :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:50:52 pm by Clockwork_Hedgehog »

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:42:05 pm by Iyellalot »

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
Hm... well, SHOULD we really have a new Chrono game? I mean... don't get me wrong, I love the series as much as the next guy, but... it seems to me everything's been explained and wrapped up in the first two installments. I feel like that if the series is continued, the later installments will keep sucking more and more and eventually the series will get a bad rep just because of the suckitude of the later games.

(Admittedly, Kingdom Hearts managed to come out with six games already and it's still going strong... though as a counter-argument to that, re:Coded feels more like a prolouge to a game than an actual game...)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #234 on: May 14, 2011, 12:59:24 am »
Welcome to the forums, Clockwork_Hedgehog

I agree with you that the idea of CC as a stand-alone game doesn't make sense, the game was clearly made to tie in with CT, wheter if it was done the proper way or not is debatable, though.

I feel like that if the series is continued, the later installments will keep sucking more and more and eventually the series will get a bad rep just because of the suckitude of the later games.

I think, if they were many many new installments, it's more possible the series would become a mixed bag, with some good, some bad and some regular games, like the Final Fantasy series.

There are other long series that are still doing pretty well, like the Zelda games, each game is a promise of a fun quality game. But that's because Nintendo cares more about the playability and the fun factor of each installment over the overall plot of the series.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:15:43 am by Licawolf »

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 14, 2011, 01:06:49 am »
Oh, good point Licawolf...

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 14, 2011, 09:09:06 pm »
I have always considered Chrono to be a trilogy myself. Seeing as Cross left an open ending, I would like to see the aftermath of Cross.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
(Admittedly, Kingdom Hearts managed to come out with six games already and it's still going strong... though as a counter-argument to that, re:Coded feels more like a prolouge to a game than an actual game...)

re:Coded was a prologue, though. It ultimately sets up the events for Kingdom Hearts III. Which is supposedly the ending for the trilogy. The new 3DS will better bridge the cap between re:Coded and KHIII, though. As long as there are Disney worlds to fall back on, I can see the games continuing for quite some time (if they so chose).

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2011, 09:16:55 am »
But... wait, I thought the whole point of CC was to tie up the loose ends left behind from CT (IE Schala and... actually, that's pretty much it).
Was Schala that much of a loose end that needed to be resolved?
I'm sure that there were some fans who just assumed that she died at the Ocean Palace.

What bugs me is how we still don't know the fates of Crono and Marle.
And if we never get another Chrono game then there fates will always be a cliffhanger.

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2011, 09:55:35 am »
Crono and Marle? Well, I think it's simple what happened to them:

Crono used his powers over manipulation of Space/Time to say one word, which sent both he and Marle to an alternate dimension in which Porre never took over!