Author Topic: Want a new Chrono game?  (Read 88817 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Want a new Chrono game?
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2010, 08:27:30 pm »
Could it be a prequel?
Not sure whether that works well for Chrono series, but a story about the rise of Zeal... would be nice.

That's my fan project.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »
Yeah, I stole your idea. :P

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »
End of the universe! :-o

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »
End of the universe, huh?

Well, if I'm going out, I'm going out happy.

*Plucks a random Schala cosplayer from somewhere and pulls her into a deep kiss.*

Uhh, sorry for the hijack. :P

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2010, 12:49:28 am »
On the subject of "Chrono Break", in my view a Chrono Break is that which can sever a temporal causality loop and essentially free the future to follow whatever path it sees fit.  Seeing how Chrono Cross ended, I think that would be the most fitting interpretation of the term.  What does everyone else think?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:44 am »
I would see it as something like physically breaking the timeline into different pieces, and putting them in the "wrong" order. Sounds like something Dalton would do.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:33 pm »
What if it was a direct sequel to Cross. In that Serge finds out he only lives because of the Break. Which either versions of those two ideas would work.

Manco

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2010, 03:06:47 am »
Chrono Break was the U.S. changing the name from Chrono Brake in Japan. So Chrono Break is an incorrect title and has expired anyway. Chrono Brake is still trademarked.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2010, 03:25:17 am »
Chrono Break was the U.S. changing the name from Chrono Brake in Japan. So Chrono Break is an incorrect title and has expired anyway. Chrono Brake is still trademarked.

To stop time (Brake) and to make time not work right (Break) aren't necessarily that different.

And I wouldn't say Break is incorrect any more so than any other localization difference. Vinnegar? I prefer Ozzie. Brake? Like the car part? I prefer Break.

EDIT: Until we see some semblance of a game materialize.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:28:07 am by Mr Bekkler »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »
I have to wonder if the Japanese got the word wrong and really meant "break".  "Brake" would imply freezing time, which had already been done in Chrono Trigger to save Crono's life.  A "break" would seem to have more story possibilities, whether you interpret it as a literal shattering of the space-time continuum, or a severing of an undesirable time-loop.  In either case, a Chrono Break is probably not an artifact.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2010, 05:36:45 pm »
Agreed, it sounds more like an event.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2010, 05:45:21 pm »
Why wouldn't it follow the trend of being an item?

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »
It could! Perhaps Chrono Break is a Space and Time shattering Anti-Matter like bomb which the protagonist has to recover but he uses it instead thinking it's gonna give him superpowers, and suddenly he ceases to exist!

Either that or I'm going crazy without the need of an acid.

Need a Break? Have a Chrono-Kat. But all I can say is that Kato was seriously thinking beyond any ordinary Time and Space thingy. Perhaps a buffed up version of...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
It did seem like the next emphasis would be placed on Dreams or sleeping somehow. I dunno, after the memory erase thing in Cross, and the added Dream Devourer in CT, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for a plot. Like TAKING a "Break" from time and/or space.

I'd like to see a Chrono type game where time has stopped and it turns out you've left your mind and entered someone else's, maybe through one of a series of porals casually and conveniently located in the End of Rhyme. And maybe each portal goes to someone else's mind. And in the end you've been amnesiac Magus all along. I dunno.

Like a multiverse sequel to Being John Malkovich. :lol: But in a way that sounds appealing. If anybody wants to steal this idea and make a game out of it (Square Enix, I know you're reading this) feel free. I will buy it back from you, in mass distribution form.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »
I could see dreams being a major factor. And the protagonist being two people (Laugna/Squall thing). They could be from different time periods or different dimentions, where doing something as your dream character changes the real world. I guess the dream character would be in the real world. (like Turnip or Masa Mune and Doreen) Well I still like the idea, and the one where putting the different time periods on one map. (like Chronopolis)

EDIT:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/10/exclusive_behind_the_scenes_of_3.php

Remember how I said SE might realize that they're stupid? They're being pretty open about what went wrong. I do not recall Square ever being honest before. A sign of good things to come perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:03:08 am by ZealKnight »