Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Demo 2 Feedback  (Read 43270 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Demo 2 Feedback
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2006, 12:19:08 pm »
whoa sorry for late reply Gyler:

I'm pretty sure you hear Magus casting a spell the first time you battle him.
Dactyls nest and Denandoro Mountain and Mystic Mountain freezing bugs should be fixed.
Crono killing people has been noted and were attempting to address it.
Glenn's speech is based of japanese.

End of time plays a part don't worry.  Not exactly sure what you meant by one sided?

FA_guy:

I certainly don't mind you hosting the rom, however we'll let Zeality discuss it more.  You may want to mention the compendium.

--JP

logan_b

• Iokan (+1)
  • What new adventure lies ahead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2006, 06:03:01 pm »
It is an awesome game idea and I can't until CT Crimson Echoes is finished, if you need any idea's for what to do with your edited sequel, you can contact me at legend2011@gmail.com. It is the best to happen since we almost had CT: Resurrection.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:43:50 am by logan_b »

fantasyanime_guy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fantasyanime.com
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2006, 12:35:13 am »
The rom? Oh no, I'm just hosting the patch.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2006, 12:50:29 am »
Logan:  Thanks for the compliments

FA_Guy:  Haha whoops don't worry I meant to say patch before (we would have issues if you hosted the ROM).

--jp

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Nazarene Hebrew, Tribe of Dan, of Yisra'el; YHWH..
    • View Profile
    • NeptuneNavigator2001's Website in Progress!
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2006, 03:15:01 am »
I just played it; Oh, my, GOSH is it awesome!!!  But, besides the usual noted bugs, I have ONE complaint:
So far, I've noticed that this game plays like an attempt to "bridge" Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross together, which is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, for, Yahweh knows how many years.  I haven't played Chrono Cross for a while, but, if you talk to the CT ghosts on Opassa Beach just before fighting the Time Devourer, it is told what happens to Schala: (can't remember the exact words, so I'll post it in my own)
Basically, Schala gets sucked into a vortex AT the destruction of the Kingdom of Zeal, when Lavos attacks, and gets combined with Lavos, so that the two become one entity.  Then, before the destructive mindset can become dominant, she clones herself - because baby Serge was crying as the panther demon attacked him, which touched the heart of Princess Schala, so she travelled 10,000 years in time to try and make contact with Serge's dimension - and sent her copy into that dimension with her magic pendant, possessing powers.  (This is supported in the PlayStation remake of Chrono Trigger, at the end, where Lucca finds baby Kid in the forest, with the aid of her mini Robo-bot.  And, the other parts of the plot in Crimson Echoes, i.e., war in Guardia with Porre winning, supports the little video in the end of PS/CT, which shows two swordsmen fighting, and one dies; later, a town is burning, and a few people lie dead, presumably Crono, Marle, and Lucca.  The text is something like this: 1015 A.D., The fall of the Kingdom of Guardia...  And the disappearance of the legendary sword, the Masamune...)  Of course, this Lavos, is the Lavos "clone" or backup plan that is mentioned in CC, just in case the original Lavos was destroyed - which it was.  Oops.  Anyway, I kind of like the idea of having Schala again, but can you STILL keep it true to the Chrono Cross storyline, as well?  Like, maybe Magus is reunited with Schala, and they go back a little bit in time, before Zeal was destroyed, to save it; it happens again for some reason, and Schala is sucked into the vortex, resulting eventually in her combining with the "new Lavos," which furthermore would result in the Time Devourer, still giving Chrono Cross its purpose: rescuing Schala once and for all...  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Belthasar mentions it as well in Chrono Cross, so........)  I was thinking it would be good to stay true to the Chrono Cross storyline, bridging the gap.  However, just about as many things can happen in the game without "breaking" the CC storyline; heck, Schala could be saved 10,000 times if it was done right, but I was hoping for a game that would bridge the two games together, notwithstanding Radical Dreamers, which is an alternate dimension, bearing almost no resemblances to either CT or CC - though, in that game, Kid does indirectly mention Crono getting killed, and Kid said that her "big sis," which is Lucca, wanted Crono to rest with the Frozen Flame.  Don't care so much about the RD storyline; it's a dimension all its own, so it will always "work," per se.  I'm sorry about all of this rambling, but if you don't add Schala getting lost in that vortex - regardless of saving her again (BTW, if you do decide for this idea/positive criticism, maybe it should be at least a few chapters after saving Schala, just to jerk at some heartstrings...  *Sob, Weep, Cry, Mourn*) - then it won't feel like a true CT sequel, at least to me.  Doesn't matter when, though, especially if another attempt were made at saving Zeal; it would work almost perfectly with Belthasar's time chamber that he has in Chronopolis, i.e., it only works a year at a time, so let's say, that Epoch only travels to relative time eras, maybe, and not absolute time eras; Belthasar's chamber could do it, right back to 12,000 B.C., and not 11,998 B.C. or whatever it is.  (Maybe a few of the Zealians want to try to stop Lavos before it smashes the Kingdom of Zeal, maybe even Schala, but they fail - again.  (Side note: I know about the various theories of Lavos existing outside of time and such, but it seems more probable that the special "Lavos dimension" theory, of which is connected to most other time periods in CT, would be more accurate; this would explain the weird, but cool, wave/pool background that accompanies its first form when you fight it in CT, and why, when Lavos is destroyed, all time periods are positively affected.  It would also support another reason for trying to save Zeal - in some ways.)
I don't know.  Do what you want, but I think it would help solve a potential problem that would be created with the whole storyline: Crimson Echoes would not properly bridge the other two games - in effect, it would make Lucca a liar in CC.
Thank you for your time, and once again, I apologize for the length of this post.  This is the best fan project I think I have ever seen!
EDIT: I was looking through the posts in this topic, and for the Glenn/Frog debate, I personally think, that since Glenn IS his human form at the end of the PlayStation Chrono Trigger, keeping him as Glenn would keep the storyline stable; either the spell wears off, or Magus calls it off.  Or...  Maybe you could have them BOTH playable somehow?  (Maybe, to appease the "Frog only" fans, you could give Glenn a spell that would change him to Frog, or back to Glenn whenever you please.  However, looking through the posts, it seems like you would be pretty limited with what you could do, due to the limits that Square Enix had to work with in the ROM.)  I simply request that the things that happened in the PlayStation cutscenes (i.e., Glenn's human form, fall of Guardia because of Porre (CC tie-in), baby Kid (maybe)) be not nullified - let them fit, and tie this whole series together in semi-perfect knots.  And, that the CC plot be not rejected, but accepted for what it is, and utilized in this game - at least through dialogue, and Schala getting sucked into the vortex and whatnot; since you've obviously made some other attempts with the creation of Chronopolis, why not go all the way?
That is all I have to say in regards to this matter.  Please consider it, at least.  (I'd do a tie-in game myself, but I don't have the programming skills, nor the creative mental faculties - except in poetry - nor the time to give to a project like that; but, this is exactly what I've been looking for, for a long time - and I'm sure others, as well.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:08:50 am by NeptuneNavigator2001 »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2006, 05:36:40 am »
Of course, this Lavos, is the Lavos "clone" or backup plan that is mentioned in CC, just in case the original Lavos was destroyed - which it was.

No, it's the original Lavos, the one defeated by Crono's party. It's not a clone or spawn.

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of having Schala again, but can you STILL keep it true to the Chrono Cross storyline, as well?

Yes, the central point of this project is to explain what could have happened between CT and CC. We never intended to deviate from CC when we decided to bring Schala back, and we won't deviate from CC.

I'm sorry about all of this rambling,

Nah don't worry...

logan_b

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2006, 05:49:42 am »
I like that Chronopolis is in CT: Crimson Echoes, the chapter names need to be fixed but other than that and the other bugs it will soon become a good prequel to Chrono Cross and Good Sequel to Chrono Trigger. Please don't give up on Crimson Echoes, No matter how hard it gets. Also if you get that finished I no longer need to finish my in between story of CT and CC, Called Chrono Corridor. I hope that Crimson Echoes will get completed soon. Hey have you guys ever played the first version of Chrono Cross called, Radical Dreamers, that was actually kick ass, besides the fact that it was one of those picture and text games. LONG LIVE THE CHRONO SERIES!!!

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Nazarene Hebrew, Tribe of Dan, of Yisra'el; YHWH..
    • View Profile
    • NeptuneNavigator2001's Website in Progress!
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2006, 08:06:16 am »
...Hmm; if it was the original...  Then, how did Crono and co. fight it, and defeat it, without killing Schala?  But, you're right; it must have been.  But how?  It's one of the very FEW things I don't understand about the storyline, and I've played Chrono Trigger for at least four years now, Chrono Cross for about three years - and it's taken me three years to totally figure out that game's part of the storyline!!

Okay; someone mentions that Lavos figured, in case some young adventurers might want to destroy it - it creates a backup plan; I think it was Kid, after you save her from Dark Serge/FATE.  Obviously, it's what we know as the Time Devourer; but how, then, is Schala not affected in CT?  Or is she not bound to Lavos at that point?  But, if she is not, and Lavos gets destroyed in CT, how does it bind with her later?  (And it is during the fall of the Zeal Kingdom - but how then?  Lavos could not exist outside of time...)

Anyway, thank you for relieving my swelling fears; it sure is one heck of a demo!  The final version calls for a HUGE celebration.  But, what about the Glenn/Frog dilemma?  I personally think Glenn should stay Glenn - even without any new techs, because of the end of the PS version of CT, which attempted to bridge the gaps anyway...

Oh yeah; what's the deal with Lucca calling Serge "Janus" in the letter she wrote her?  I mean, it wouldn't make sense - except if Serge was originally adopted, and was created from Magus' DNA.  Just another point to ponder and potentially solve.  (Regardless of what might have happened, your story is really amazing.  No, really.  It gives me something to think about for three months on end!  I'm really into this stuff.  Just wish I could be of some help - I'm a HUGE Chrono series fan, including RD.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:17:12 am by NeptuneNavigator2001 »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2006, 08:43:30 am »
Okay; someone mentions that Lavos figured, in case some young adventurers might want to destroy it - it creates a backup plan; I think it was Kid, after you save her from Dark Serge/FATE.  Obviously, it's what we know as the Time Devourer; but how, then, is Schala not affected in CT?  Or is she not bound to Lavos at that point?  But, if she is not, and Lavos gets destroyed in CT, how does it bind with her later?  (And it is during the fall of the Zeal Kingdom - but how then?  Lavos could not exist outside of time...)

That's not Lavos' backup plan. Lavos' plan is sending Chronopolis back in time to mess with history. Him merging with Schala has nothing to do with it and is probably a pure coincidence (Lavos' goal is not the same as the Time Devourer's, Lavos just wants to survive, while the TD wants to destroy the universe).

As for Schala, she is cast into the Darkness of Time, but she's alone during CT. It's only when Lavos is defeated by Crono's party that Lavos is cast into the Darkness of Time too (= it's only after CT's ending). The dead Lavos then binds with Schala's life force to try to cheat death, and they become the Time Devourer.

Anyway, thank you for relieving my swelling fears; it sure is one heck of a demo!  The final version calls for a HUGE celebration.  But, what about the Glenn/Frog dilemma?  I personally think Glenn should stay Glenn - even without any new techs, because of the end of the PS version of CT, which attempted to bridge the gaps anyway...

Unfortunately, this will depend on technical matters. If we can't put human Glenn in the ROM then we'll have to come up with some reason for Frog to keep being a frog. But human Glenn may be possible to insert... or not... It's gonna be a surprise I guess :)

Oh yeah; what's the deal with Lucca calling Serge "Janus" in the letter she wrote her?  I mean, it wouldn't make sense - except if Serge was originally adopted, and was created from Magus' DNA.  Just another point to ponder and potentially solve.

Lucca doesn't call Serge Janus. Just read what she wrote: she asks Kid to say "hello" to Janus if Janus is present near her. So, if Janus was there, Kid would have said "hello from Lucca" to him. But Janus is not present, so that's it, no hello.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2006, 10:17:20 am »
Neptune:  Don't worry any project supported by the compendium will be true to the series.  As for the Glenn/Frog thing I'm afraid that since Glenn is taller than Frog we wouldn't be able to put him in......or if we did he'd look like a midget.  We'll wokr on explaining why he's still a Frog though......sorry everyone.  On another note your going to love this website.

Logan:  Thanks these kind of post give me the motivation I need.

--JP

logan_b

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2006, 12:21:30 pm »
What is wrong with the rom being hosted. I just hate Enix, the only 2 games that Enix made that was good was Dragon Quest 6 maybe the whole dragon quest series, and Illusion of Gaia. Squaresoft Should've just stayed Squaresoft then they  would have never had a problem with fan made games. Enix is a big joke, sorry if any of you disagree with that, Enix killed Squaresoft when SquareEnix was born. Still you guys have to play Radical Dreamers. Hey is it okay to put a link on my next post for people can download radical dreamers.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2006, 12:31:10 pm »
well with the ROM thing we want to do everything we can to keep this on the legal side.  Since distributing a patch is legal and a rom isn't.....we'll go with the patch.  The last thing we need is a cease and desist order.

Linking to roms is a no no here but don't worry i'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board have played Radical Dreamers

Let's keep this on topic as possible, I'm sure many people would like to discuss squaresoft vs square enix on this board though.

--jp
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 12:33:58 pm by jsondag2 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2006, 12:53:05 pm »
Yeah, don't worry about the story. It'll qualify everything said in Chrono Cross. All this new feedback is pretty encouraging...

logan_b

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2006, 07:24:47 pm »
WHAT DO I DO NOW THAT I AM IN THE STONE AGE, IS  THAT THE RIGHT DATE FOR THE STONE AGE, AND WHAT ABOUT THE EPOCH'S CHRONO CLOCK, ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO CHANGE THAT? WHAT WOULD BE COOL IS IF YOU CAN ADD SOME CHRONO CROSS SONGS TO CRIMSON ECHOES.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 07:27:44 pm by logan_b »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2006, 07:57:16 pm »
Easy with the caps.

You go to Singing Mountain (New cave to the North East).  The date in the lower left corner while walking around the map is correct (64,999,998).

The final version will have all the epoch dates that are possible to change changed some cannot be changed because changing them change other things that should not be changed.

--jp