Author Topic: did anyone else think that ff7 and the chrono games had alot in common  (Read 6571 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
I'd call Kefka more of a freakass mofo sunuvabitch than a badass...I mean, the things he did weren't on a "badass" level...they were just evil. So, perhaps Evil Badass is the proper term...

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
...Yeah he is. His body comes from El Nido, and FATE created him while in El Nido.
actually, he was created at ground zero, which is technically TEH FUTURE! (dum dum dum!)

Magus Complex

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
On a gameplay level I found FF8 and CC somewhat similar (never cared-for/played FF7, never will).  I played CC first, and all I know is that every time I have to equip somebody with a new/different Guardian Force in FF8 I have flash backs of equiping elements on my CC party.  That, and both games only allow control of 3 characters at once.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Many, many games only allowed you to control 3 characters at once.

Many.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
...Yeah he is. His body comes from El Nido, and FATE created him while in El Nido.
actually, he was created at ground zero, which is technically TEH FUTURE! (dum dum dum!)
He was more probably created later. We know Wazuki didn't turn into Lynx as soon as in Chronopolis because he safely returned to Arni and still lived a few years with his family. Marge reveals to Serge (Serge in Lynx's body) that Wazuki's mind was "strange" after the black panther incident, but she doesn't say he was changed into a giant cat. She doesn't make the connection between Wazuki and Lynx.

Either Wazuki turned into Lynx when he drowned Serge at the beach, or Wazuki drowned Serge, never returned to Arni and then gradually turned into Lynx after that.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
He was more probably created later. We know Wazuki didn't turn into Lynx as soon as in Chronopolis because he safely returned to Arni and still lived a few years with his family. Marge reveals to Serge (Serge in Lynx's body) that Wazuki's mind was "strange" after the black panther incident, but she doesn't say he was changed into a giant cat. She doesn't make the connection between Wazuki and Lynx.

Either Wazuki turned into Lynx when he drowned Serge at the beach, or Wazuki drowned Serge, never returned to Arni and then gradually turned into Lynx after that.
still, lynx himself  was first sited off of the zenan mainland. at least in keystone 1 I think. even Viper didn't think he was a native to the land.

Hadriel

• View Profile
Probably the thing the games have in common is the villain; Lavos and Jenova are almost exactly the same in both intent and execution.  Giant alien with UBAR 1337 POWARZ falls from the sky a long time ago and begins systematically fucking things up.  They infest every corner of the planet, altering lifeforms to suit their whims, and are ultimately stopped by a spiky-haired person with a phallic-symbol sword, though Cloud has to go through a lot more emotional turmoil to do it and still doesn't get a clear resolution, as opposed to Crono who just kind of charges in like Braveheart and starts slashing stuff.  Both villains also cause the entire setup allowing the story to take place; without Lavos, humanity never would have arisen, and without Jenova, the SOLDIER program would not have been possible.  One of the other common themes running throughout not just these two games, but most of those produced by Square, is that the planet is conscious.  The creators of Final Fantasy have stated that all the FF worlds have a Lifestream; it smacks of ancient Japanese religious beliefs.

Sephiroth is quite obviously a Magus clone with silver hair, but unlike Magus, there's not one bit of good left in him.  A direct comparison of the two power-wise is difficult because of the lack of cutscenes displaying Magus' offensive capabilities in real terms, so all anyone has to go on in that debate is who they'd rather have on the winning side.

Magus Complex

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile

Many.

Yeah, yeah, I know, but I was saying that the equiping of GFs and Magic to three party characters in FF8 reminded me of equiping elements to three party characters in CC, that's all.  I wasn't saying "OMG!!1! tey both h4ve teh 3 chars so thy are the same!!one!!11 LOL" if that's where you thought I was going with that.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile

Many.

Yeah, yeah, I know, but I was saying that the equiping of GFs and Magic to three party characters in FF8 reminded me of equiping elements to three party characters in CC, that's all.  I wasn't saying "OMG!!1! tey both h4ve teh 3 chars so thy are the same!!one!!11 LOL" if that's where you thought I was going with that.
except Gfs were basically the entire system in the game. at least cross gave a reason to use your damn weapons, plus the magic system was a "so.... which do you want, status, or big booms?".

Magus Complex

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile

Many.

except Gfs were basically the entire system in the game. at least cross gave a reason to use your damn weapons, plus the magic system was a "so.... which do you want, status, or big booms?".
Eh, true enough.  I guess the similarity that was there for me was that for both games I had a particular order that I arranged magic and elements in for the battle screen to make things quicker and more organized.  Which was okay for FF8 since it used the RTS system and knowing where a particular magic was helped in the speed department, but, now that I think about it, was kind of pointless in CC since I'm given as much time as I need to pick an element to use.  I guess I just wanted things to be sorted properly and look pretty. Maybe I'm a little obbsessive and compulsive or something.  I digress, logic has gotten the better of me once again.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Ah the GFs. Nice memories. GFs were awesomely implemented into FF8.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
The Gfs were horridly implemented into the system. It wasn't till ff10 till summons actually had a beautiful system to use.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
never cared-for/played FF7

As you all may well know, I'm no fan of FFVII...BUT...is it just me, or does that statement not make sense?

Hadriel

• View Profile
Yeah.  Play it before you knock it.  Some people didn't like the battle system, other people didn't like the story, or whatever.  But if you haven't played the game, it's impossible to come up with a defensible reason not to like it.  That goes for any game.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
The Gfs were horridly implemented into the system. It wasn't till ff10 till summons actually had a beautiful system to use.
Um, no? FFX summons were shit as.