Poll

What do you think of the name?

Its totally fucking awesome. Easy to remember, short...
3 (8.3%)
Wii'll get used to it
5 (13.9%)
Better than Revolution *fnar*
2 (5.6%)
Meh, Revolution still sounds better than it
8 (22.2%)
This just proves Nintendos disgusting urine fetish
1 (2.8%)
I <3 Nintendo Go!!!! LOL!
0 (0%)
"I don't care that much, but the North American consumer base will, because the childish appearance is off-putting to our culture and the name might very well kill Nintendo's North American sales, which is something that would suck..." - Hadriel
2 (5.6%)
"I think it fucking sucks" - Zeality
15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 10834 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2006, 04:56:34 am »
I can't believe people are still worked up about the name. Seriously, give it a break. I don't care if you:
1)Like it
2)Hate it
3)Hate people that like it
4)Like people that like it
5)Hate people that don't like it
6)Like people that don't like it
7)Hate people that actually give a fuck about the name, full stop Yes I can see the irony...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2006, 06:28:53 pm »
You started this thread, Zeppy. The genie is out of the bottle.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2006, 03:34:14 am »
You started this thread, Zeppy. The genie is out of the bottle.
Wouldn't a more fitting analogy be that of worms and cans? I mean, where does a spirit that grants your wish come in all of this?
And yeah, I guess it is kind of my fault, but I'd rather discuss the Wii then discuss its name. Time to put the genie back where it belongs.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 05:00:39 pm »
Genies are normally seen as being trouble and mischief makers, thus the analogies are more or less the same.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2006, 08:30:55 pm »
Genies are normally seen as being trouble and mischief makers, thus the analogies are more or less the same.
Haven't you seen that Tim Tam ad which probably only shows in Australia! The genie gives them TimTams! UNLIMITED TIM TAMS!

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2006, 11:04:06 pm »
Man I can't believe I am saying this... but:

Burning Zeppelin is the only one out of any of you who sounds like an intelligent person.
>.>
<.<
>.>
Ok I know it may sound strange, but its fact.  Wii = a great name for a population who has some what of a brain.  America is not that kind of population.  It showed that when it only wanted blood thirsty FPS and nothing else (Except Madden '04 :roll:).  Fact is Wii dominated E3. It massacred every other console.
I have said it once and shall say it again:

Wii won.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2006, 12:31:15 am »
Burning Zeppelin is the only one out of any of you who sounds like an intelligent person.
He also deserves leadership of the world, because he rocks so much not even The Clash can rock as many casbahs as he has.

And why can't you believe your saying that? :evil:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 05:42:38 pm »

>.>
<.<
>.>
Ok I know it may sound strange, but its fact.  Wii = a great name for a population who has some what of a brain.  America is not that kind of population.  It showed that when it only wanted blood thirsty FPS and nothing else (Except Madden '04 :roll:).  Fact is Wii dominated E3. It massacred every other console.

Wii won.

Generalizations! Generalizations and Damnation, I say!

FPSs are popular because it's easy for anyone to understand very quickly. Along w/a strong multi-player aspect which has garnished a heavy online following, and the fact that it's become more than just a computer's game (unlike RTSs) by making solid transitions on various current-gen consoles.

Too bad about that whole EA thing and them crapping out shoddy games now since they have all those sports liscences or whatever...That's my only take on that subject really. But I think most sports games got too advanced for me after Tecmo Superbowl on SNES...

>_>

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2006, 09:08:42 pm »

>.>
<.<
>.>

Wii won.

FPSs are popular because it's easy for anyone to understand very quickly. Along w/a strong multi-player aspect which has garnished a heavy online following, and the fact that it's become more than just a computer's game (unlike RTSs) by making solid transitions on various current-gen consoles.

Too bad about that whole EA thing and them crapping out shoddy games now since they have all those sports liscences or whatever...That's my only take on that subject really. But I think most sports games got too advanced for me after Tecmo Superbowl on SNES...

>_>
Its not just popular, its wiped out grand scale of the RPG market... the only games people want to play now are Halo 2 or GTA...  Most people don't even know what Final Fantasy is...  Sophisticated games like RPGs apparently dont appeal to the common people, unless it is bloody, gorey, and has slutty women.

Deezer509

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I enjoy it.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Clad - become a fan
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2006, 09:49:29 pm »
Most people don't even know what Final Fantasy is... 
That's just not true.  Not all gamers are young and stupid, most of them grew up with Nintendo and PlayStation, and no one can go through those systems without hearing about the FF series.  While I agree that "blockbuster" games seem to be gaining a great deal of popularity, it's really silly to say most people don't know what Final Fantasy is.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 11:18:51 pm »
Most people don't even know what Final Fantasy is... 
That's just not true.  Not all gamers are young and stupid, most of them grew up with Nintendo and PlayStation, and no one can go through those systems without hearing about the FF series.  While I agree that "blockbuster" games seem to be gaining a great deal of popularity, it's really silly to say most people don't know what Final Fantasy is.

No it's not. It's silly to say that most gamers don't know what it is, but we are a specific market. If you walk down the street, asking people if they've heard of Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and Final Fantasy, that is probably the order of positive responses you'll get. Everyone and their dog knows about Grand Theft Auto (or, more accurately, that it exists and has violent content), and many many folks have heard of Halo, but Final Fantasy, for how blockbuster it is in the context of the gaming community, is probably not very well known out in the wild.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 11:54:23 pm »

>.>
<.<
>.>

Wii won.

>_>
Its not just popular, its wiped out grand scale of the RPG market... the only games people want to play now are Halo 2 or GTA...  Most people don't even know what Final Fantasy is...  Sophisticated games like RPGs apparently dont appeal to the common people, unless it is bloody, gorey, and has slutty women.

RPGs are far from wiped out. Just look at WoW.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2006, 05:35:14 am »
I don't like GTA. I find it boring and repetetive. Just thought I'd say.

kian

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 06:36:07 pm »
All in all, everyone will get used to it. I mean seriously, they couldn't come up with a better name for XBOX then tagging on the 360 after it? And it still sucks compared to PS2 (Just think when PS3 comes out :shock:). There's not a sports game you CANNOT play on XBooox . . . but seriously, the new Nintendo console will do alright.
Dude....Halo is the best game ever and it is something that the ps2 and 3 will never have.  even if the rest of the games suck, and bill charges us for everything on xbox live.  its still halo, and halo is cool.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 09:24:26 pm »
Astonishing. It is remarks like this that make me think the Xbox concept has already succeeded. Microsoft has been the punching bag of Americans for ten years now, but when I see people swear such steadfast loyalty to Microsoft's console games, I see a company that has won its way into people's hearts.