Author Topic: Medina  (Read 4564 times)

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 10:54:25 am »
I'm pretty sure the common Mystics accepted Janus/Maugs.  They viewed him as a hero or savior even.  Ozzie may have had spies to kill Magus (not that they would suceed...).  The other two we have really nothing about.  Janus probably did come with a message that he would make the city of Medina great and powerful.
Also if Magus had suceeded to defeat Lavos in his encounter at 600 AD, would he have continued the war and defeated the humans?

Discoman

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 01:18:40 pm »
I doubt he'd really care, after succesfully defeating him perhaps he'd continue his prophet plan.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 02:37:17 pm »
He'd probably either finish the war to please the Mystics or leave to find a way to bring Schala back.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Medina
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 03:31:31 am »
There must be some connection with the THREE MAGI and MAGUS

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Medina
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 04:24:51 pm »
I doubt he would have continued the war. He probably would have tried to learn a way to time travel, or just have lived out his life. Remember Magus wouldn't have ever seen the Time Egg in action, so he wouldn't have seen such a feasible way to bring Schala back.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 04:36:02 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
There must be some connection with the THREE MAGI and MAGUS

Melchior to me seems like the Grandfather type to Janus and Schala. Especially how he tried to save Janus.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 06:37:07 pm »
Magi is simply the high order priest group in the Zoroastrian religion.  Magus probably was called that, due to the fact he was seen as a high and powerful figure in the Mystic mind.  Probably to the degree of religious leader or prophet.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Medina
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 03:06:19 am »
How You Will Be Pwnd
As you can see my friend, you have been owned.

Daniel Krispin

Medina
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 05:08:01 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
How You Will Be Pwnd
As you can see my friend, you have been owned.

How was he? What he said was perfectly valid, or mostly so. The connection between Magus and the Magi is that Magus (latinized from Magos, which is Greekified for some persian word, probably Majus or something like that); plural, the Greeks said it Magoi, which became Magi.

Oh, and Wikipedia sucks. Don't trust it. Ever. Someone I know once put in an entry on the Samurai that the last of their number was Tomachiro Cruze, and it stayed up for a month. It is horridly unreliable. Not unless you know it yourself to be true.

However, looking over it, at least the Greek part is right. Magoi apo anatolon indeed means 'Wise-men from the East'. (though, literally, anatolon is what we'd call Anatolia, and that's Turkey; the name means 'rising... ' something or other. Not stars, but maybe firmament.) But really... don't trust Wiki for anything serious. My father was looking for things on Paul Gerhardt there, and it said that the Swedes dropped bombs on his village. The guys lived in the 1600s for goodness sake!

WAIT! HOLD EVERYTHING, I FOUND A MISTAKE THERE!
Magoi is NOT neutral in gender. If it were, singular would be Magon, and plural Maga. Magoi is standard second-declension plural masculine. I defenitely denotes a male set. See? A mistake. A minor one, but a mistake nonetheless... but it stands out like an eyesore now that I see it.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 07:27:46 pm »
uhm you know I think looking up the word Magus is more reliable...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magus
Yeah and I like the line where it says:
Magus (plural Magi, from Latin, via Greek μάγος ; Old English: Mage; from Old Persian maguš)

It kind of proves my point.
I am Persian, I know these things.  The Three Magi in the Bible are Three Zoroastrian Priests or some other three random wiseman.  So how was I pwned?
Also guess what...  Magus is the base word for the english words mage and magic.

Daniel Krispin

Medina
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 09:45:29 pm »
Quote from: ChronoMagus
I am Persian, I know these things.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if you were, what with you saying that bit about how Cyrus' name actually was said. It's funny, the TA that was teaching us that day said at one time, he was telling this other person in a pub all about the stories of the ancient Perso-Median dynasties - Cyrus and Cambyses and all that - and after a while the guy laughed, saying how messed up the names sound. It turns out the guy was Persian, and was used to saying the names in their original Persian, rather than the Greek versions that come to us through Herodotus. I actually hadn't known that up until a few weeks ago, but found it a rather fascinating shift from Persian to Greek.

supaaren

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supaaren.com
Medina
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 10:52:07 pm »
Magus's Japanese name is Maou.

魔王, which translates to "devil," from Japanese.

魔 means evil
王 means king

you can take 魔 and add 法 (hou) to it to make:
魔法: magic.

Does this help any?  *shrug*

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Medina
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 07:31:01 pm »
I had heard that Magus' japanese name could be interperted as Demon King or Magic King.

So is Medina, Medina in the Japanese version?

supaaren

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supaaren.com
Medina
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 08:43:43 pm »
I actually played through the version for that exact reason.  I should have your answer in a few hours; I just got to Arris Dome...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Medina
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 03:38:13 am »
Dont get your hopes high. Its most likely not.