Author Topic: Twilight of Fate  (Read 2136 times)

Ramsus

Twilight of Fate
« on: December 15, 2003, 06:33:40 pm »
Please don't submit partially completed content unless you plan on abandoning it and feel it would be of some importance to the community.

I'm sorry that I haven't completed the submissions guidelines yet (busy with school).

Just keep in mind that a submission post should contain the content as it should be published. That means you should add comments or notes as a reply to your first post.

Anyway, I'm not much of a fanfic person, so I'll let the rest of the community comment on what you've posted.

Daniel Krispin

Twilight of Fate
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 02:13:46 am »
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean you don't want any fanfiction unless it's complete? In this regard I was working on the assumption that the other fanfics already posted were somewhat incomplete as well, being only chapter 1 and such. I assure you I am finishing it. This is not just a prologue with a thought to write a whole lot more. I have 140,000 words right now. Consecutive, I have about 1/3 of that complete from the beginning, amounting to almost 9 chapters. And I did not intend that beginning as an author's note or anything; it was a note to whoever it is submitted to.
But never mind. I can submit the whole thing when I finish, sometime next year. I can understand if you don't want things piecemeal.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Twilight of Fate
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 05:31:23 pm »
Well, rather than composing it as a whole, Tanith is releasing Shadow of Zeal as a series. If he desires, it may be compiled one day into a single page.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Twilight of Fate
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 05:49:40 pm »
Quote from: Guardian_of_Ages
it was a note to whoever it is submitted to.

[Grammar Nazi]"Whomever."  "It was a note to whomever it is submitted to."  Of course, to be really nitpicky (i.e. to not end a sentence with the preposition "to")..."It was a note to whomever reads the submission" would be best.[/Nazi]

Ah......Nazification complete.

Had this simple error not been in a thread related to writing, I probably would have let it go (as evidenced by the incredible amount of spelling and grammar errors on posts throughout the site).

*looks around*

*runs*

Ramsus

Twilight of Fate
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 06:01:58 pm »
Whether or not a fanfiction is fully complete does not matter. I was speaking of completion in terms of readiness for publication on the site. If you're actively working on something you plan to submit (e.g. the first part of your fanfic or an editorial), but don't have it ready for final submission, then there will soon be a "Work in Progress" forum to discuss such things.

As it is now, this thread would look like this in story mode:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/viewstory.php?t=156

If that's only what you intend to have published for that part, then by all means submit it. Creating a post in the Submissions forum says "I want this to be published like this on the site. What do you all think?"

I can't say anything about how submissions are processed because no "for sure" system has been put in place, but generally things should stay in Submissions for a while (a few days or a week) for peer review by the community. When the community accepts it a Chrono Scholar should move it to the Fanfics section. Upper level site staff (Master Chrono Scholars and Admins) can decide individually whether or not to accept submitted content.

However, I'd suggest submitting larger chunks (e.g. an Introduction which would include the Prologue and a Chapter or so, maybe more, or maybe just a larger and more in depth Prologue) until I can revamp the Fanfic section so that it displays listings for each author individually or until I create a new system from scratch that allows authors to create stories split into parts (e.g. pages, chapters, books), which could then be categorized by Genre and Author.

Otherwise, the Fanfics page will just grow to fairly difficult sizes. Having smaller parts also entails for readers more travelling to and from the Fanfic listing, which breaks continuity.

But please do submit your story in parts as you finish them. Waiting until you finish the entirety of your work before submitting anything only cheats you of the user feedback that submitting in parts would entail. You'd end up having to submit it in several parts anyway, since it would be too daunting to read everything on one page and we have a post size limit.

However, this has brought to my attention a few problems inherent within the current system. I'll be sure to make notes for future development.

BTW, please be sure to double space between paragraphs later. It increases readability many times over, especially on text-only browsers. I've been trying to get others to do it too.

Ramsus

Twilight of Fate
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 08:20:54 pm »
Well, once a person has submitted something they still have the ability to edit it even after it's been moved into a content forum.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Twilight of Fate
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 01:52:24 am »
Quote from: Guardian_of_Ages
Oh, and I forget who said it, but good call on the "whoever/whomever". I'm usually not in the habit of making grammer mistakes such as that, but in forums etc. I may become a slight bit lax.

Hah...yes.  I did that (because I can't decide whether "It was me" or "It was I" is right, I had to say it that way...I can't stand it when people correct other people and then are wrong themselves).  You see, I get paid to edit things at TCU's paper (which, by college newspaper standards, is top-of-the-line), and habits tend to stick with you.  Like I said, I don't edit everywhere on the Internet...if I did, I'd surely go insane.  Do you know how much crap on the 'Net uses bad grammar?  Seriously, so much, even supposedly scholarly works include bad grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, etc.  Sometimes I think I'm the only person bothered by any of it, and then I see someone else rambling on like I'm doing now.  I seriously hope no one's still reading this.  I'm sure I'm probably making a couple of grammatical mistakes in this little rambling rant, but then at this point it's only for my own personal entertainment.  OK.  You can stop reading this now.[size=0]  Seriously.[/size]

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Twilight of Fate
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 09:13:03 pm »
Yeah I know This is an old thread but I know What You said Ha Ha.  
By the way your funny He. He.
YbrikMetaknight said
Do you know how much crap on the 'Net uses bad grammar? Seriously, so much, even supposedly scholarly works include bad grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, etc. Sometimes I think I'm the only person bothered by any of it, and then I see someone else rambling on like I'm doing now. I seriously hope no one's still reading this. I'm sure I'm probably making a couple of grammatical mistakes in this little rambling rant, but then at this point it's only for my own personal entertainment. OK. You can stop reading this now. Seriously.