Author Topic: [Deleted]  (Read 2300 times)

SSJoseph

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
[Deleted]
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:38:43 am »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:57:04 pm by SSJoseph »

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:50:56 pm »
HA, that's still the number now (4 hours later, I believe).  Now, in anohter 6,000 members, it'll be REALLY evil.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:14:49 pm »
And in another 666,000, the Compendium will give birth to Lavos.

Daniel Krispin

Evil Compendium....
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 01:25:59 pm »
No, no, no. 666 doesn't mean evil. It actually means very imperfect. 7 is perfection, 777 is thrice perfection. Likewise 6 is falling short of perfection or completion, and 666 is thrice that.

Or, according to some, the numerical values of the abbreviations on the coins of the emperor Domitian add up to 666, which would make sense, too.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:48:15 pm »
I know that (You said that in Chornicles once), I just went along with their joke.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 05:33:26 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
No, no, no. 666 doesn't mean evil. It actually means very imperfect. 7 is perfection, 777 is thrice perfection. Likewise 6 is falling short of perfection or completion, and 666 is thrice that.

Or, according to some, the numerical values of the abbreviations on the coins of the emperor Domitian add up to 666, which would make sense, too.

Is that how they got 616 for Nero? Or am I starting from a a flawed assumption?

Daniel Krispin

Evil Compendium....
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 06:29:19 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

I'm not sure. Revelation, you see, was written during the reign of Domitian, some time later than Nero. And he connects very well with the blasphemous names the Beast bore: Domitian wished to be called Dominus et Deus, Lord and God. Of course, any Christians would have taken grievous offence at this, hence the preaching against it in Revelations.

If Nero adds up to 616, I'm not sure what meaning that has. I've heard - was it on these forums? - that the 666 was a mistranslation, and that the Greek numbers, written as letters, were mistranslated, and it should have been 616. As I said then, this is quite likely a flawed and misleading hypothesis. The number 666 is a very common and well known number in ancient figurative language in that region. 616, however, has no meaning. Thus it would make little sense for a number to be so near, yet not it. Moreover, at least in the Greek Bible I looked at, the numbers were spelled out, not written using a single number (by the way, it's really neat when one looks at the Bible in Greek, and the names it uses for Heaven, Hell, and the Devil. It uses Ouranios for Heaven, Hades for Hell, and things such as Diablos or Satanas for the Devil - though, strictly speaking, Diablos implies something thrown together, a nasty amalgam. Sort of like a Frankenstine monster.)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 07:55:28 pm »

I'm not sure. Revelation, you see, was written during the reign of Domitian, some time later than Nero. And he connects very well with the blasphemous names the Beast bore: Domitian wished to be called Dominus et Deus, Lord and God. Of course, any Christians would have taken grievous offence at this, hence the preaching against it in Revelations.

If Nero adds up to 616, I'm not sure what meaning that has. I've heard - was it on these forums? - that the 666 was a mistranslation, and that the Greek numbers, written as letters, were mistranslated, and it should have been 616. As I said then, this is quite likely a flawed and misleading hypothesis. The number 666 is a very common and well known number in ancient figurative language in that region. 616, however, has no meaning. Thus it would make little sense for a number to be so near, yet not it. Moreover, at least in the Greek Bible I looked at, the numbers were spelled out, not written using a single number (by the way, it's really neat when one looks at the Bible in Greek, and the names it uses for Heaven, Hell, and the Devil. It uses Ouranios for Heaven, Hades for Hell, and things such as Diablos or Satanas for the Devil - though, strictly speaking, Diablos implies something thrown together, a nasty amalgam. Sort of like a Frankenstine monster.)

Huh. Speaking of Greeks and gods, what is the specific difference between Hades and Tartarus?

Daniel Krispin

Evil Compendium....
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 08:03:08 pm »

Huh. Speaking of Greeks and gods, what is the specific difference between Hades and Tartarus?

Ah, good question. Hades and Tartaros are both spoken of variably as places and as gods. Hades (otherwise known as Aidoneus and Plouton) is one of the sons of Kronos, and thus brother to Zeus. He and the third brother, Poseidon, drew lots for the rule of heaven and earth. Poseidon gained the sea, Zeus the sky, and Hades all things underground. Upon the earth and Olympos are common ground. Since Hades rules things underground, though, this makes him very rich, and it is in that form, a giver of wealth, that he is called Plouton - a name used more often than dark Hades, which means 'hidden' or something to that effect. Apparently, the Greeks did not like mentioning his name for fear of drawing his attention. Anyway, his rule, under the earth, thus extended to the underworld and, often, his abode is often called Hades.

Tartaros is a little more tricky, and my memory almost fails me. I know that it is said an anvil from heaven to earth would take seven days to fall, and from earth to Hades another seven, and from Hades to Tartaros yet another seven. It is the pit below even Hades, in some traditions. In others it is a place of torment. Here are the Titans imprisioned, and the wicked such as Sisyphos tormented for eternity. I do think that some myths speak of the road to Hades branching off to Tartaros as well. But to make a long story short, you'd rather go to Hades than Tartaros - Hades is the afterlife, Tartaros is hell. Now, many things - in fact, most things - in Greek myth are given divine personification. Styx, for example, is a goddess, as is Night and the Darkness, even Chaos. Now, I am almost fully certain that Tartaros falls into this category as a god, though of what generation, I'm not fully sure. This is a guess - a reasonable one - but I think it came of the union between Gaia and one of the other primeaval gods, perhaps Erebos the Darkness, or Night, thus making Tartaros in divine representation of the generation of Ouranos, the Sky.

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 08:21:53 pm »
daniel, I dont want you to take offense to this or anything, because I mean none whatsoever... but I don't think Ive seen you in a thread discussing anything but all this mythology stuff or whatever its called... I started the thread titled Robo, and I don't think you joined in discussion until some sortt of convo involving prometheus was started... Are you some sort of expert on this sort of thing, because its all ever really see you discussing. Just a question :/

Daniel Krispin

Evil Compendium....
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 12:33:51 am »
Quote from: Luminaire
daniel, I dont want you to take offense to this or anything, because I mean none whatsoever... but I don't think Ive seen you in a thread discussing anything but all this mythology stuff or whatever its called... I started the thread titled Robo, and I don't think you joined in discussion until some sortt of convo involving prometheus was started... Are you some sort of expert on this sort of thing, because its all ever really see you discussing. Just a question :/

Hmmm... well, you probably haven't been around here long enough. I can speak on ancient history and Tolkien with equal proficience, and theology nearly as well. I'm also fairly good at science. Usually, I speak of the Chrono universe as it connects to these, though I know the Chrono world relatively well in and of itself. I've spoken on each of these points when the situation warrants it. The Masamune and Gurus I spoke of terms of Platonic and Aristotilian philosophies. The name origins are both myth and etymology. Tolkien... Numenor and Zeal quite coincidentially connect very nicely. Anyway, the point is, no, that's not all I discuss. Lately, however, I've been reading the Iliad, so those things have been near to my mind. But only look in the direction of the General Discussion and teh Schala's thread on Christian Video games and you'll see me discussing Theology. The Robo thread seems to have gotten into theology. I also got into world history and the politics thereof in the 'When Zealians Sleep' thread. For science... I had my own ideas of the way time works. So, just so you know, I talk about other things. I generally see the Chrono world through the various mirrors of our own world, though.

So, essentially, I would be most distressed if you think that is all I do, and can discuss. I consider myself somewhat more widely knowledged than just in one field. As I have said, I have a grasp of multiple topics, and do indeed speak of them when the situation arises. Oh, and to my defence, it was not I but another who began the veering in your Robo thread - I merely replied with my standard length and gave momentum to its already crooked course.

However, I do admit I have a tendancy to veer threads in such directions, only because I have quite a passion for ancient history and mythology, and it is something I do indeed know relatively well. My father is a theologian who majored in Greek and minored in Classics, and I'm an Engineer who may just end up taking Classics as a second degree. I just feel compelled to comment on things such as these. So, sorry if I get a little... diverted. Going on tangents is something I have from my father.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 07:18:42 am »
Hey, it's still 666...go Antoinette-19860 for being lucky member no. 666!

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 12:00:59 pm »
No need to apologize at all daniel; I can respect the stuff you enjoy discussing, even if I dont understand one sixth of it probably  :wink: . I can tell you are a thoughtful individual who knows his stuff, and I have no problem at all with you indulging in conversations. I couldn't tell you anything about ancient history, unless you want me to give a review of the movies alexander, king arthur, and troy, which I'm sure can't all be thoroughly accurate anyways. Half of the names you talk about I couldn't respond to either, as Ive only vaguely heard of them. As for theology, I couldn't even give you a proper definition, let alone discuss it, as well as etymology, what is that? Platonic, Aristotilian philosophies; I also know nothing of.

I consider myself a person of average intelligence, I'm just not familiar with most of the subjects you seem to like to talk about. I'm also only 17, so I haven't been to university yet to take any of these courses or gain any wisdom about them. (I know, I could easily look them up on the internet, I'm just not interested enough I guess :/ )

It's cool to see something that someone is so passionate about (would that be the word you would use to describe when it comes to you talking about myth and ancient history?) because I am the same way in other subjects, like chrono trigger of course; and where you are proficient in tolkien's work, I would be similar to Terry Goodkind's work, (Sword of Truth fantasy novel series, somewhat comparable to Tolkien; Btw people, if you like to read, I highly suggest him!) although I doubt I'd be able to elaborate as... intricately or thoroughly as you would with your subjects.

Anyways, thanks for clearing it up, yes, I am new to the site, this is my third week I think. Again, I didn't mean to stab at you with my comment, I just noticed that you talked about a lot of things in that field. Thanks.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Evil Compendium....
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 06:14:22 am »

...so what you're saying is, this site sucks horrible donkey balls because of its user count, but in another 111 more users, we'll be the most awesome site on the internet.

Edit: Wait, it's now 670.  Whew.  User 667, you saved the internet.  We are forever in your debt.  Now here's a bagel.

Daniel Krispin

Evil Compendium....
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 10:05:23 pm »
And now you've cursed us again with your demonic sig, Hadriel! A funny, and well-made, sig, though.