Author Topic: Why didn't Another World get sent to DBT?  (Read 6471 times)

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Why didn't Another World get sent to DBT?
« on: August 12, 2005, 06:36:52 pm »
I read through most of the articles, and this jumped out at me as a DIRECT result of the Principle of Discarded Timelines.  To re-state it:
Whenever a timeline is altered by a time traveler, a new timeline is created as a result of these changes. The original timeline from that point onward is sent into the Darkness Beyond Time, a realm of frozen non-existense containing all discarded timelines.

So if this is true, the instant Kid saved Serge, then "another world" should have stopped existing, and only Home World should have continued, exactly as occured in any other instance of changing, like how when Lucca saved her mother's use of her legs.

I'm saying Another World is NOT necessary for Kid to have saved Serge, as it obviously is not according to How Changing the Past Affects Those Time Travelers whose Past Now No Longer Exists.  The example of the "Jerky" from the article is apt, as it is the same type of thing.  Kid only needed to go back once to save him.  Another World no longer really needs to exist.

Just wondering if there was a good explanation here why Another World wasn't sent to DBT the instant Serge was saved.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:00:41 pm »
The reason the timeline split is much bigger than Serge simply being saved. It involved a paradox. Like, how to put this?

To overwrite Another would be to create a paradox where neither would exist. FATE doesn't exist in Home because Serge lived, but Home is only possible because FATE existed. But FATE only existed because of Another's future. >_>;;

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:06:40 pm »
My theory states that the dimesnions split for another reason. I say Kid, when she saved Serge with a Time Egg, forgot to use a clone. It would be like her to forget that little thing, but that is wholly important. If she had used the Time Egg properly, the world would simpley turn to what is Home World, no split. But because she never used a clone it breaks the laws of time itself: An event happaned, but it never happaned, too? WTF? That leads to both time streams continuing to exist, creating a split.

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:07:33 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
The reason the timeline split is much bigger than Serge simply being saved. It involved a paradox. Like, how to put this?

To overwrite Another would be to create a paradox where neither would exist. FATE doesn't exist in Home because Serge lived, but Home is only possible because FATE existed. But FATE only existed because of Another's future. >_>;;

Paradoxes don't matter, as I said about the travellers affecting the past.  That works for FATE and everything else, so once it's back in the past, it doesn't matter that it never existed.  It's protected like other travellers.  It only matters that it occured ONCE, not that it will ever happen again along the current timestream.

Think of it this way: Porre would never conquer Guardia w/o FATE and Chronopolis coming to the past, but that's still happened in Home too, even though according to YOUR assertaion, FATE wouldn't occur in the future of Home.

But the inital "preservation" of Another World still is unexplained to my mind.  I know I'm a new poster, but I did read the Articles quite thoroughly.  :)

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 07:10:53 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
My theory states that the dimesnions split for another reason. I say Kid, when she saved Serge with a Time Egg, forgot to use a clone. It would be like her to forget that little thing, but that is wholly important. If she had used the Time Egg properly, the world would simpley turn to what is Home World, no split. But because she never used a clone it breaks the laws of time itself: An event happaned, but it never happaned, too? WTF? That leads to both time streams continuing to exist, creating a split.

That explanation "kinda" satisfies me.  Thanks.

I've seen the "She used an egg but not a clone" argument in the forums here, but I can't remember if it's in any of the articles.  But it was one of the first things I saw, so I think it should probably be in there as an "exception" to the Principal of Discarded Timelines, as that one's kinda central to all temporal/dimensional theory here.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 07:20:03 pm »
Paradoxes don't matter

That makes me giggle.

Porre would never conquer Guardia w/o FATE and Chronopolis coming to the past

Uh-no. FATE and Chronoplis had no part in the affairs of anything outside El Nido.

FATE wouldn't occur in the future of Home.

Yea. What with it being DESTROYED and everything.

But the inital "preservation" of Another World still is unexplained to my mind. I know I'm a new poster, but I did read the Articles quite thoroughly.

As did I. Another is preserved because, as Legend and I have basically stated, the laws of Time Travel have been broken.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 07:24:37 pm »

So, you're actually saying that the dimension split in 600 AD, when Crono and the party 'saved' Magus from dying summoning Lavos?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 07:28:43 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99

So, you're actually saying that the dimension split in 600 AD, when Crono and the party 'saved' Magus from dying summoning Lavos?

No, because a Time Egg wasn't used. Time Eggs don't change events, they simpley take something from the Event and place it in another time. As much as history cares, someone called Crono died in 12,000 BC, and another guy called Crono saved the future.

The difference is Magus didn't get mixed up replacing on Time Egg use, Magus just had a different fate.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 07:32:27 pm »
No, because a Time Egg wasn't used. Time Eggs don't change events, they simpley take something from the Event and place it in another time. As much as history cares, someone called Crono died in 12,000 BC, and another guy called Crono saved the future.

The difference is Magus didn't get mixed up replacing on Time Egg use, Magus just had a different fate.

So, you're actually saying that instead of merging back the dimensions, the Darkness Beyond Time itself actually split when Serge and the party saved Schala from being fully integrated by Lavos?

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 07:32:50 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Porre would never conquer Guardia w/o FATE and Chronopolis coming to the past

Uh-no. FATE and Chronoplis had no part in the affairs of anything outside El Nido.

In the article The Rise of Porre it's actually saying it was Chronopolis and El Nido that DID cause it.  The "Porre-Elements Theory" there details it, but the gist is that since El Nido was discovered in 910ish AD, the technology (elemental) harvested there caused their rise.

I forgot the name when posting it, but I basically re-stated "Flow Principal" from On the Axioms And Corollaries Governing Temporal Transforms.  That says the future event HAD to occur "first" before the past could be changed, and the "How Changing the Past Affects Those Time Travelers whose Past Now No Longer Exists" Axiom means that it really doesn't matter that the "cause" will no longer occur in the timeline, the effect is what will be remembered.

That's EXACTLY what "The Principle of Discarded Timelines" (which I quoted in the OP) says.  Every change Chrono & Co. made spawned a new timeline from it.  Collectively they (and their effects) are referred to as T-1, but really, every change spawned new timelines, with the old one going to the DBT.  So in 600 it wasn't a "split", but rather a "new and discard old", just like every other time change.  Legend's explanation that it was the incorrectly-used time egg itself that caused a true "split" rather than a "new and discard old" is the only real exception.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 07:37:51 pm »

So, you're actually saying that instead of merging back the dimensions, the Darkness Beyond Time itself actually split when Serge and the party saved Schala from being fully integrated by Lavos?

No, because the Time Egg was just used to tear a hole in the Dimensions. Time Eggs have more then one use, reviving is just the most popular use. What would you rather do with it, revive a lost loved one or find a bleak waste-bucket dimension where you'd go insane\die of lack of resources needed to survive like food and water?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 07:41:33 pm »
No, because the Time Egg was just used to tear a hole in the Dimensions. Time Eggs have more then one use, reviving is just the most popular use. What would you rather do with it, revive a lost loved one or find a bleak waste-bucket dimension where you'd go insane\die of lack of resources needed to survive like food and water?

So, ....... okay maybe. :)

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20:20 pm »
I like V_T's theory :)  But wait...  If Kid used a Time Egg to save him, wouldn't it have just appeared as Serge drowning, and then appearing in saftey via the Time Egg?  Why would this not be mentioned?

Guardia's fall was probably not the result of El Nido/FATE.  While the Porre-Element theory is a good one, it does not take FATE's purpose into consideration:  To preserve history so that it can still exist.  So the Fall of Guardia, which didn't happen originally (was said to have some outside influence), must have happened in Keystone 1 and well as 2.  It can be argued that Guardia's fall is irrelavant to Chronopolis being built, and therefore FATE would not have interfered there.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 12:58:49 pm »
In the article The Rise of Porre it's actually saying it was Chronopolis and El Nido that DID cause it. The "Porre-Elements Theory" there details it, but the gist is that since El Nido was discovered in 910ish AD, the technology (elemental) harvested there caused their rise.

That's entirely different. FATE made no actions involving Porre. Soldiers just came and took some Elements. FATE had no part in it. As for Guardia's fall, well, that would happen anyway, if you think about it. 1999 and afterwards is obviously not a monarchy. Porre was playing it's part in history. It was just given a boost with some dragonic technology. Crono and Marle still have to live, however, because Arris Dome is controlled by the Guardia line. (That Miguel theory is bullshit)

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 02:28:40 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
I like V_T's theory :)  But wait...  If Kid used a Time Egg to save him, wouldn't it have just appeared as Serge drowning, and then appearing in saftey via the Time Egg?  Why would this not be mentioned?

That's the difference between Crono's saving and Serge's saving. The Time Egg brings back something that's lost by an event on the timeline, while leaving the event as it was. Belthasar said: "You MUST have clone". Sounded quiet important to me.

If Kid never used a clone, that would create a huge problem. The Time Egg can't change the past, that's not how it functions. You want to change the past, you go to the past and change it. If Kid never used a Time Egg, though, then she changed history, something that's beyond the TE's desgin. It makes an event both happan and not happan, creating two seperate continued dimesnions, one with the event happaning, and one with it not happaning.

The main evidence is that Serge was supposed to have drowned. AW is the 'real' world. When Serge crossed the dimensions, it's as if someone used a Time Egg to turn him to a 17 year-old and tossing him to AW. In fact, I bet that's what Kid did: Used A Time Egg to open the distortion and send Serge to AW.