Author Topic: Melchior  (Read 4531 times)

Daniel Krispin

Melchior
« on: March 26, 2005, 02:36:56 am »
Just a quick question I was discussing somewhere a while back regarding Melchior's memory. I'm sure you here will be able to answer this without great difficulty.
Does Melchior, at the fair, remember Crono? Surely he sees Crono when the hero rescues him from his frost-ridden imprisionment on the mountain of woe, and so, when cast to the future should remember him. But that said, does that only change after Crono does the deed, or is it always done? Could Melchior, when he sees Crono at the fair, recognize him, or does this only occur after the events in Zeal. (In other words, is it the sort of twist as, if you happen to know the 'Time's Arrow' episode of Star Trek. Guinan is in the 18th century, so when Picard travels back in time to there, he sees her, and knows all about her, whereas she knows nothing. Inversely, when they 'first' meet in the 23rd century she knows more about him than he does about she. Oh, and I just happen to know the Next Generation episodes. Good show, but I'm not a Trekkie by any measure, just so everyone knows. I'm firmly in the Star Wars camp in the ST/SW conflict. Mandalorians over Klingons and all that.)

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doulifee.com
Melchior
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 04:00:04 am »
He remenber chrono, but his wise enough to not disrupt the time continuum

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Melchior
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 06:17:58 am »
The Melchior at the fair isn't the Melchior that Crono & Co saved on Mt. Woe. As a matter of fact, it's quite possible that the Melchior in Crono's timeline didn't even get sent to Mt. Woe. As seen in the Magus flashback, each of the Gurus were sent to various timelines...

He would not remember Crono because he (the Melchior in Crono's timeline) never encountered Crono.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 09:09:11 am »
Yup. But the weirdest stuff about Melchior is what he says when you free him at Mt. Woe :
Indeed, I am Melchior.
   Have we...met before?

More importantly, can you tell me
   anything about the Ocean Palace?

"Have we...met before?"... Why the heck does he ask that? :?

Zatopek

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 09:45:04 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Yup. But the weirdest stuff about Melchior is what he says when you free him at Mt. Woe :
Indeed, I am Melchior.
   Have we...met before?

Because whoever is in your party shouts "Melchior!" with surprise at finding him on the Mountain of Woe.  When someone shouts your name and you don't recognize them, you might wonder if you've met them before but have just forgotten.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Melchior
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 12:43:28 pm »
Quote from: Zatopek
Quote from: Chrono'99
Indeed, I am Melchior.
   Have we...met before?

Because whoever is in your party shouts "Melchior!" with surprise at finding him on the Mountain of Woe.  When someone shouts your name and you don't recognize them, you might wonder if you've met them before but have just forgotten.

Also they all say that he fixed the Masamune so they had to repay him. He is a little confused considering that Masamune didn't exsist yet.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 01:09:19 pm »
Mmh, anyone from 12,000BC knows that the Guru of Life's name is Melchior though... He shouldn't be surprised and say that...

And he asks this before the party mentions the Masamune...

But yeah maybe I'm delving into it too much, it's probably just a normal phrase.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 02:26:02 pm »
Yes, but he is much more confused in the hovel in the Earthbound village when they do mention the Masamune.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Melchior
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 02:58:53 pm »
Not to mention, the Zealians tend to refer to them as the Gurus or, at the very least, Guru Melchior (Guru Belthasar, Guru Gaspar)...It seems odd that these people (Crono & Co), whom obviously do not look like either the regular Zealians or Earthbounds (especially in the case of Frog & Robo), should know his name...

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 04:03:56 pm »
plus, its quiet probable that they sounded like they were calling out to a friend.

anyway, the Melchior that you meet in the fair isnt the same as you meet at Mt. Woe.  After Crono and Co. do it, he is the same.  let me know if that didnt make sense...  In the new timeline created after you save him, he would know.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 07:08:03 pm »
The Melchior at the fair is not the same Melchior. He has never seen Crono and his life and has been living in Medina making weapons after he was ported.

Though when you show him the Masamune and the dreamstone, he does say something like "HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU FIND THIS!?.... Wait, Don't tell me. I don't think my heart could manage it". Something on the lines.

That part was even before the gang went to Zeal. After Zeal and Melchior was teleported, I think he remembers you. He doesn't really state it but he says something like "The Queen has gone mad", "Where did the Black Omen appear from?"

I myself get confused at that last statement. If he was aboard the Ocean Palace, wouldn't he recognise it? Maybe. But he even seems startled so he may still be the same Melchior in Lavos' time line.

Does Melchior ever say "Thank you for rescuing me" in the present? I don't think so. But he does make them Prism weapons going "This will help you in your quest" and "Don't forget about me, i'm here too you know" something on the lines.

Melchior seems very strange.. A guru of Life making weapons to kill..lol.

Even Belthasar never states that he remembers you in 2300 AD after you get the Epoch.
Gaspar never says he saw you there or anything...
Either does Magus... Maybe their original memories stayed intact, just the drama rose in a different way towards the moment that they were gated x.x

Sentenal

• View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 07:12:39 pm »
the magus, or here janus, isnt the same janus that predicts Crono's death.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 09:14:42 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking

Even Belthasar never states that he remembers you in 2300 AD after you get the Epoch.
Gaspar never says he saw you there or anything...

Well that would be impossible no matter what. the group never saw either of them at all in Zeal. They were both banished or in hiding before the group even got there.

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 03:28:53 am »
The gurus do not have memories of events in the new timeline for the same reason Magus does not have memories of the new timeline.  They are time travellers from the original version of Zeal, and they are shielded from changes to the timeline.  Regardless of Crono's activities in the past, the gurus will only know the events of the original timeline.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Melchior
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 12:36:54 pm »
okay then, under that logic, what happend to the Gurus that DID meet Crono and co?  I guess they just ceised to exist.