Author Topic: God, I Miss This Place  (Read 20634 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: God, I Miss This Place
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2018, 06:49:40 pm »
Say, that ain't a bad idea. I remember at times I'd read up old threads, but never thinking on posting on them due to their age. But with activity picking up, perhaps it ain't a bad idea now...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2018, 09:37:25 pm »
Say, that ain't a bad idea. I remember at times I'd read up old threads, but never thinking on posting on them due to their age. But with activity picking up, perhaps it ain't a bad idea now...

Nothing wrong with thread necromancy. The Compendium has always been okay with thread revival!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:07:08 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »
Nothing wrong with thread necromancy. The Compendium has always been okay with thread revival!

This certainly is unlike many other sites I've seen. Certainly an intolerance to thread necromancy, to varying degrees.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2018, 01:19:21 am »
I've been skimming this thread (couldn't read the entire thing thoroughly in a sleep-deprived state, plus I only have a weekend to myself now that my projects are over, and the next call will be at my clients' office-time, Monday). And it just occurred to me:

Boo, you seem to feel that responsibility takes a lot out of a person -- and I really feel ya, despite the fact that I'm not yet a dad -- and that you still want to feel the thrill, the excitement, of creation and breaking through your barriers.

I need to remind you that the Springtime of Youth was never just about zealousness, enthusiasm and short outbursts of determination (as usually portrayed in Naruto, or often in Gurren Lagann's Row Row Fight The Powah). There's another factor that doesn't get mentioned which were the defining factors for characters like Rock Lee in Naruto that popularized the term: It's term persistence and dedication. That's why Rock Lee, despite having no talents, was still regarded as the Genius of Hard Work.

The Zeal only serves as a rallying cry to motivate, and that enthusiasm can expire pretty quick. But dedication and persistence are stable, driven by sheer force of will to get things done and bring shit to life. It's not something that comes easy to a lot of people. Especially not me. It's something I had to learn the hard way through life, when I started taking paid work as an artist, knowing full well that I owe it to my clients for trusting me with their precious money, time and opportunity.

If I've lost you, then let me get to my point: You still have it in you.  8)

You seem to want to make a game, which you wanna take as a career option. Great news for you, here's a lot of engines (free of cost) available these days that weren't back in the old days. Depending on the programming / scripting language you want to master, there's likely an engine for that. Python is pretty useful, and there are plenty of simple game engines that use it.

My pick, regardless of your interests? I'd take Godot, because it looks pretty cool with great features. If you just wanna make games and nothing more, the native script engine will work fine. But if you want a career in programming, Godot can also use C#, which can be a boon for you if you choose to learn it.

I understand it's going to be hard to just "make your own game" since you have a family and kids and all. So don't think about some long-term project just yet. Learn this as just another toy for yourself. Take 20 mins every day and play around with it, see if you can make simple things work. Once you find yourself making things happen that you may not even have imagined before, before you know it, you will hit a wellspring of ideas that you never thought you had. And you can start small with a very simple game and, heck, even teach your kids how to make em! (I've seen lots of parents recently teach their kids to code, and that seems to be a great habit.)

Anywho, I won't take more of anybody's time if they're reading this. Ciao!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:21:17 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:37 am »

This has always been the single wisest Compendium policy! Nothing has done more, pound for pound, to contribute to this place's longevity than to project the warmth and tolerance that comes from letting members new and old explore the site's history and heritage through thread necromancy. It's pretty much the symbolic icon of the "Compendium Welcome."

Also, tushantin is right (which I don't think I have ever said before!) when he mentioned game software. If you're set on creating a game, there are more tools available than ever before. I myself have played around with Twine and Ren'Py, and there are many other options and avenues. As a game designer myself, albeit not a professional one, the most important thing you can do by far to create games is to create games. Don't worry about learning to code; don't worry about the need to "get gud"; just go string some shit together and fail forward. You will gradually make progress.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »
Ok this has me REALLY excited actually. I troll the coding threads quite a bit, wishing I understood it. I would actually LOVE to know how to do advanced coding. I've always wanted to do animation (and IMO gaming is a branch of that) and this makes me feel like I could actually learn it even though I don't have the time to go to school. I'm definitely going to take a look into these myself as well. Thank you Tushantin for posting that, because I feel like I may be able to actually accomplish this goal in this lifetime.  :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:56 pm »
Thank you Tushantin for posting that, because I feel like I may be able to actually accomplish this goal in this lifetime.

ROM hacking is always an option. It can get a bit messy because the SNES could be very limiting. I've toyed with it to a small degree.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 04:22:47 pm »
I've watched Youtube videos where they take away layers in Chrono Trigger. It's very interesting! I'm not even sure where to start when it comes to ROM hacking though...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:39 am »
Mauron is the current resident expert. I know there's some documentation around here for some of the hacking elements. It can be daunting, I won't lie.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 12:54:17 am »
One thing I'd like to do is update the documentation in various places.

Temporal Flux is the best tool for Chrono Trigger hacking, but the biggest obstacle would be using a Mac. The last time it was checked, Mono Project was unable to run Temporal Flux. If that's still the case, you'd need to use Bootcamp to get Windows installed before using Temporal Flux, or any of the Chrono Trigger specific editors.

There are general tools easily available, but that would increase the complexity of the hacking.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »
Well I am looking at getting a Windows laptop or Surface. I've been leaning towards the Surface because I can do art on that too. Would it be ok for hacking or should I get a laptop instead? Thanks!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 01:17:23 pm »
Well I am looking at getting a Windows....

Hiss! Hiss! Boo! Boooooo!  :o

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2018, 01:50:55 pm »

I know, right?? I feel like I'm going to the Dark Side.  :o

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »

I know, right?? I feel like I'm going to the Dark Side.  :o

One of these days, us Linux users are going to rule the world.

Wait, what am I talking about? We already do! Now it's only a matter of taking everyone to task.

You will be assimilated!  :lol:

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2018, 02:44:34 pm »
I'm not really familiar with the Surface tablets. A quick Googling shows Windows 10, a keyboard, and a mouse, so it would probably run smoothly. I used to do Chrono Trigger hacking on a 2003 XP machine up to like 2012, and the requirements haven't really changed since then.