Author Topic: God, I Miss This Place  (Read 20364 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: God, I Miss This Place
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2018, 02:51:14 pm »
I definitely feeling like ROM hacking wouldn't be too resources restrictive, especially for SNES-era games. :D

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »
Well I am looking at getting a Windows....

Hiss! Hiss! Boo! Boooooo!  :o

I know, right?? I feel like I'm going to the Dark Side.  :o

One of these days, us Linux users are going to rule the world.

Wait, what am I talking about? We already do! Now it's only a matter of taking everyone to task.

You will be assimilated!  :lol:

Well I'm a Mac user so going back to Windows feels icky but for what I'm using a computer for it's the best option, not to mention more cost-efficient. My MacBook died a few months back. It's the motherboard but that thing is over 5 years old, actually closer to 6-7 years old, so it's time for something new. However I still have my pimped-out iMac and I'm hoping that thing last forever. LOL

I'm not really familiar with the Surface tablets. A quick Googling shows Windows 10, a keyboard, and a mouse, so it would probably run smoothly. I used to do Chrono Trigger hacking on a 2003 XP machine up to like 2012, and the requirements haven't really changed since then.

Thank you very much! That is very helpful for me! You rock Mauron!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:53 pm »
My last Mac was using OS 7, I think.

The biggest challenge is trying to run BSNES/Higan, but that's not entirely necessary for hacking.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2018, 04:16:19 pm »
My last Mac was using OS 7, I think.

The biggest challenge is trying to run BSNES/Higan, but that's not entirely necessary for hacking.

Thank you! OMG I have soooooo much to learn. I'll get there though! I'm so, so glad I found this place!

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »
I'll help with whatever questions you have.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2018, 12:43:30 pm »
Thank you very much! You are awesome Mauron!!  :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2018, 03:39:31 am »
I've been avoiding the site because the last time I was here, I had successfully brought a fan project idea to a couple of old users, and I had a secret forum going, and we were all set to fucking do this thing—and as luck would have it I started busy season and my first really serious relationship—and the whole thing just got abandoned. I couldn't, and still cannot deal with the fact that my adult ambitions are utterly preempting the lingering desires I have here. There have been experiences, travels, things that have blown my mind beyond what I could gain by staying in what's comfortable, but it's not enough. I want time enough for both. I want to be able to pursue all my passion projects, as well as radical new growth, and there just is not enough time, and because of it, I committed that common sin of starting a fan project and completely vanishing.

I cannot fucking deal with it. I know, if I really tried, there'd be another ROM hack in me. I've matured so incredibly much since Crimson Echoes—just imagine if we were firing on all pistons! Some kind of ultimate mix of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Radical Dreamers; imagine us pushing the ROM to its absolute limit of capacity, using everything we've learned; imagine us claiming the mantle of the concept of Chrono Break, making some kind of awesome, definitive godlike work that, like CE did, would bring people out of the fucking woodwork across the Internet to relive the Chrono series and act as some kind of ultimate fuck-you to the total mediocrity plaguing all media these days—fuck!

Even to create something small in the meantime, like Prophet's Guile—just to see those characters come to life; just to have some little glimmer of Zeal in a MacGuffin; just to fucking acknowledge that it's 2018 and human Glenn is still out there somewhere off in our imagination—what an utter nightmare it is to admit that I don't, and virtually never will have the time to create fucking any of this!!!!! It would be that magic point at which we could finally declare victory over the unfinished legacy, over the whole thing that got us in here in the first place—pouring every last viable idea we have into it! UGH!!!!

I'm going to update the site, but what an endless fucking torment and embarrassment it is to admit some kind of limit exists...

Of all my closer friends over the years, only three are even remotely still in touch with their grandiose dreams of Springtime: myself--and that comes with many asterisks; the former Compendiumite Syna, who just completed her master's degree and is still on track to become a professional writer; and another close friend of mine (a former girlfriend, who was never a Compendiumite), who loves horses and still owns her own business working with them. Everyone else who is now or was once dear to me has settled into an ordinary life, having made peace (or been forced into resignation) with giving up their dreams in favor of something more practical. This isn't to say that they're not happy (though some of them aren't), or successful financially (though some of them aren't), but, simply, that they traded in their grander dreams for the aspirations of home and hearth and stable careers. And some of them have made peace with that, and some of them, like yourself, haven't.

I am in this category. I am so tragically close to the goal that has defined me since 2008. I fear that "settling down" like I fear the concept of mediocrity itself, and it's going to ruin me. I achieved that love dream, and ultimately let it go because I still had to fight for something inside—the dream of going abroad; of proving myself; of finally building some kind of total faith and worth in myself. I am so close. One more year of struggle. Then something else will come. Life is only meaningfully lived between what one has already done, and what one might be yet able to achieve, and the goalpost is moved every single time tomorrow burns up into yesterday. That is the springtime of youth—worshiping the satisfaction of curiosity more than the comfort of the familiar. And it unfortunately never ends—if it did, it would lose its meaning to begin with. At some point I can only hope my dreams become bacchanalian and less tied to my own validation.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:48:19 am by ZeaLitY »

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:49 am »
Dear Leader! you've returned!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:37 am »
Oh, now this is surprise.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:00 am »
Hey, man. Welcome back. :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2018, 04:13:30 am »
Thanks. Time to get to work. Not looking forward to updating that Albums and Doujinshi page.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:47 am »
Welcome back.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:01 am »
I've been avoiding the site because the last time I was here, I had successfully brought a fan project idea to a couple of old users, and I had a secret forum going, and we were all set to fucking do this thing—and as luck would have it I started busy season and my first really serious relationship—and the whole thing just got abandoned.

Isn't it funny how this happens? Life happens. It can be a fickle bitch.

there just is not enough time

There really isn't, though. I feel the same way. I think about where my life was when I first started snooping around this place, then when I finally registered and tried to be active, and then compare that to various points over the past ten years, and there. is. not. enough. time. and energy to accomplish all that I want to accomplish in this meek life.

I cannot fucking deal with it. I know, if I really tried, there'd be another ROM hack in me. I've matured so incredibly much since Crimson Echoes—just imagine if we were firing on all pistons! Some kind of ultimate mix of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Radical Dreamers; imagine us pushing the ROM to its absolute limit of capacity, using everything we've learned; imagine us claiming the mantle of the concept of Chrono Break, making some kind of awesome, definitive godlike work that, like CE did, would bring people out of the fucking woodwork across the Internet to relive the Chrono series and act as some kind of ultimate fuck-you to the total mediocrity plaguing all media these days—fuck!

Funny you should say that; there's a thread around here about making some minor tweaks and updates to the Compendium charter, and one of the things I'm passionate about doing is finally fully implementing the Aegis concept again.

Aegis System - Many modding communities are crippled because participants each try to put out their own project with little help; in the end, none of these myriad projects is completed in a timely fashion. Also, expert experience acquired in development is spread out and kept disintegrated in this fashion. In order to facilitate fan project quality and completion, the Chrono Compendium always supports one fan project with special infrastructure.

We haven't gotten that far yet, but that's something I know I'd love to see. And it feels attainable. I think we're standing up a group of passionate, capable hackers and writers to do just that. One step at a time.

Even to create something small in the meantime, like Prophet's Guile—just to see those characters come to life.

Funny you should say that, there are a few projects in the works in the quiet. Some of outside the compendium. PM me if you want info.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2018, 01:08:30 pm »
I've only been here since January but I've been a huge Chrono fan ever since the series came out. I've actually been wanting to really meet you ZeaLitY, so hello!!  :D

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »
Welcome back exhalted leader.

It appears as if there's been a Life spell cast recently onto some KO'd members.

Although as many have stated, life itself is taking up the majority of my time. I would love to band together to create a beautiful Chrono-child with all of you wonderful people.

I have yet to divulge into hacking, but will contribute what I can.