Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 168965 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1230 on: June 23, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »
Having a big headache right now...  :picardno <---It works well as a headache emoticon too xD

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 24, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
"Yesterday, the website of Psychology Today allowed an evolutionary psychologist named Satoshi Kanazawa to post a set of bar graphs meant to prove how black women are “objectively and subjectively” uglier than white, Asian and Native American women."

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/05/satoshi_kanazawa_is_a_scientific.html

WHAT THE FUCK, ACADEMIA. WHAT THE FUCK. HOW DID THIS PERSON GET A PH.D???

HOW IS THIS STUFF PUBLISHED. HOW IS THIS STUFF TAKEN SERIOUSLY. WHY DOES SCIENCE JOURNALISM SUCK SO MUCH THAT THEY COULD EVEN CONSIDER THINKING ABOUT MAYBE POSSIBLY PUBLISHING THIS.

AS IF BLACK WOMEN DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEIR BODIES DENIGRATED ALL THE TIME IN EVERY FUCKING WAY, YOU HAVE THIS GUY WHO ATTEMPTS TO CODIFY IT WITH ABSOLUTELY FUCKING ATROCIOUS SCIENCE THAT THE IDIOT POPULACE TAKES SERIOUSLY BECAUSE THERE'S A FUCKING BAR GRAPH PICTURE IN THE ARTICLE!

(I find it interesting that an Asian man did this, when studies -- decent studies that don't try to measure so-called "objectivity" -- have shown that Asian men and Black women are at the bottom of the very racist attractiveness totem poll, and for very, very sexist reasons in both cases. Aughhhhh.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:23:52 am by Syna »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
I was all set to play devil's advocate, thinking this was an issue of cultural conflict, but, yeah. Upon actually reading this, it's indefensible. Let's take this opportunity to remember that most professionals--doctors, lawyers, scientists, and so forth--may be consummate professionals with a competent record and a solid ethic, but still harbor bigotry elsewhere in their lives. I think about that sometimes when I ponder the existence of fundamentalist Christian doctors and whether I will ever be (or already have been) treated by them.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 24, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »
Never treated by a Christian doctor? That's... a bit strong. What's the logic in such a stance?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 24, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »
I did say "fundamentalist," which you left out. As for the logic, it's a matter of ethical consistency. I try not to patronize or take favors from such people.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 24, 2011, 03:09:20 pm »
Gotcha. My bad.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1236 on: June 24, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »
"Yesterday, the website of Psychology Today allowed an evolutionary psychologist named Satoshi Kanazawa to post a set of bar graphs meant to prove how black women are “objectively and subjectively” uglier than white, Asian and Native American women."
Ahem...

Dear Satoshi Kanazawa,

Pardon my rude impulses, but I'd most humbly implore you to set yourself an fire. To hell with you and your prejudiced research.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:13 pm »
Really, aside from starting a study with an obviously racist agenda, I'm insulted that

1) People are funding useless study of this type when they could be uncovering data that is of actual goddamn use to humanity so that people can interpret it in applicably meaningful ways 
and
2) HOW BAD THE SCIENCE IS. DEAR JESUS, IT BURNS. Every last bit of the way this study was conducted is so goddamn flimsy and ill-conceived.

Sigh. I'll be okay in a moment.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1238 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »
@Syna: This is for you (and try pondering important evolutionary/historical events throughout the video; it's really something). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcDed4xVD4

Keep faith.  8)

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1239 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:41 pm »
So many shit happening here in the last few days.

And local elections are around the corner, I hope the situation would change soon. One of the candidates is promoting himself with the phrase "more of the same, and better". Ha.

(uh...the first link has some gruesome graphic content, don't enter if you don't feel like watching that)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:30:40 pm by Licawolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 29, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »
Stay safe, Licawolf! Talk about a "Highway to the Danger Zone!"

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:34 pm »
I hate pyramid selling and I still don't understand why and how so many people easily fall into the trap.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-03/19/c_13787592.htm

Such kind of things still happen here and there. Just a couple of days ago, I heard a guy said some of his family members joined such an organization, including his mother. I'm surprised how strongly those brain-washed persons believe the great fortune will fall to them, even after they lose their money, lose their houses and ruin their business. The guy told the story said, he tried to persuade his mother by showing her some reports on the newspaper, but his mother believed that was just a trick to prevent too many fortune seekers from joining them. After all, we suggested him to call the police, but he hesitated in fear of the possibilities of the unfixable destruction of the relationship between him and his mother.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 30, 2011, 12:22:50 am »
I hate when my family doesn't follow up on things.

A while back, I posted in the frustration thread that one of my favorite aunts had cancer. She still has cancer. However, when we found out (through my estranged crazy aunt) about this, my parents were like 'HOLY SHIT. WE ARE GOING TO HELP HER ANY WAY WE CAN.' Instead of calling, my mother sent an email. We haven't tried again, we haven't called, we haven't even gone out to visit. We've just sat here, wasting our lives away.

It's just...   :roll:

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1243 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:52 am »
Stay safe, Licawolf! Talk about a "Highway to the Danger Zone!"

You bet! :roll: I'll be sure to stay safe, thanks :wink:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 30, 2011, 07:20:17 am »
I hate when my family doesn't follow up on things.

A while back, I posted in the frustration thread that one of my favorite aunts had cancer. She still has cancer. However, when we found out (through my estranged crazy aunt) about this, my parents were like 'HOLY SHIT. WE ARE GOING TO HELP HER ANY WAY WE CAN.' Instead of calling, my mother sent an email. We haven't tried again, we haven't called, we haven't even gone out to visit. We've just sat here, wasting our lives away.

It's just...   :roll:

You should probably take the action yourself then and call your aunt, or try to arrange a visit.